Ruxstell/Planator axle

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Ruxstell/Planator axle

Post by Michael Peternell » Sun May 15, 2022 7:52 pm

I was at a swap meet today and a gentleman had a ruxstell axle that was paired up with a Planator in front of it for sale. My first thought was someone really needed some grunt. Thoughts gentleman? Nice and greasy. Thoughts on value? Any comments appreciated.
Thanks!
Mike

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: Ruxstell/Planator axle

Post by Les Schubert » Sun May 15, 2022 8:01 pm

2 for 1!!! I would buy that !

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun May 15, 2022 8:03 pm

I don't think there is anything like Pike's peak in Minn. But it might come in handy if so. Also might go faster on level, but remember the other features of a Model T. so you don't want to go too fast either. Also, the Ruckstell is very common and parts can be found for it, but not so much for the Planator.
Norm

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun May 15, 2022 9:20 pm

Planitor parts are normal model t rear end parts. That was their sales pitch) The input/output gears are axle. there are 2 spider gears also stock model T. Planitors were made in over or underdrive. The underdrive most commonly seen. The underdrive is very under. They are a bit dainty for my taste. A rux & underdrive planitor would climb a tree if the thing holds together.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sun May 15, 2022 9:33 pm

John, I could be wrong as I am several times a day, but pretty sure planators were just underdrive like a ruckstell. The early ( Starr Planator) ones didn’t have the shift detent, which is not a big deal if you have an original shifter for them. The later ones (jumbo planator) have kind of a double safety, with the detent in the unit and the original shifter. Still don’t know why they spelled it like that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic