A bit of era information from 100 years ago

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

A bit of era information from 100 years ago

Post by Les Schubert » Wed May 18, 2022 3:39 pm

In the Canadian province of British Columbia in 1922 they switched from driving on the left to driving on the right.
Curiously While I have seen/found RHD hogsheads in both aluminum and cast iron, I have not seen one with a starter.
Perhaps ford switched to selling LHD cars there in 1919 anyway!

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: A bit of era information from 100 years ago

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed May 18, 2022 6:16 pm

Maybe, they were driving on the left but with right hand drive cars before that? Could be because being out west, it was easier to get cars from across the border in the US?
Vancouver’s conversion was delayed a year due to the time it took to retrofit the streetcar system, so it wasn’t until 6 A.M., January 1, 1922, that Vancouver drivers finally made the switch to the right. Vancouver has the distinction of being the last city on the continent to abandon the British left-driving system.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Wed May 18, 2022 6:57 pm

Ford Canada actually lobbied Canadian to change to LHD in 1919 as they wanted to only make LHD Model T's to save costs. Which they agreed in both Atlantic and Pacific provinces which had RHD making it universal for the whole of the Dominion of Canada. So it was actually the Ford Company of Canada which was responsible for LHD in Canada.

Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Post by Harry Lillo » Wed May 18, 2022 7:03 pm

There is a RHD hogshead with starter for sale in the classifieds right now.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Wed May 18, 2022 7:25 pm

Apparently by those in the know of Australia's T history, we never got a starter model T until late 1921 for the 22 model because of the steering issue needed to be sorted for RHD. Although parts books do back date the starter to 1919.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Wed May 18, 2022 8:01 pm

I got a RHD 25 Roadster Pickup. Suppose to have come from NZ. But it is a Canadian car. Dan

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed May 18, 2022 9:12 pm

I seem to recall reading that Ford Canada built some cars with generators mounted on the left side of the motor for about a year? I don't know if they were belt or chain driven. But it had to do with an interim fix until the steering issue was resolved to clear the regular generator.

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Wed May 18, 2022 10:13 pm

Wayne no exactly correct, Ford had no intention of producing the RHD Model T after they added the starter lighting system. The steering theory is just that a theory or an assumption, Model T's with starter and generator were converted by others without any great problem at the time, if that was possible for them then Ford Canada engineers would have been able to do so also. Fords intention was to stop production of RHD to save on costs and simplify the parts and service side of the company.
At one point Ford announced that RHD would not be produced after a certain date ( don't know exactly what that date was) but they were then told by some countries that if there was no RHD then the Ford would be prohibited, this led to the quick decision to do a belt drive version till Ford Canada could tool up for RHD with the starter and generator.
You might remember Ford USA had control of the British Ford business and they were just sent LHD ones without any consultation. Britain did not ban LHD ( though there was moves to do so) but they were threatened if they did American companies would move to have British RHD banned in the USA.

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Sat May 21, 2022 1:06 pm

One of our club members has a RHD 1926 Touring that came back from New Zealand.

Another of our club members has a 1928 RHD Model A that came back from Australia.

Canada continued to build both LHD and RHD vehicles for export long after the USA stopped making them.

The RHD engines appear to have been USA made longer than the vehicles.

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Sat May 21, 2022 7:52 pm

The book, "Ford in New Zealand", by John Stokes, goes into some interesting detail about Canadian production. Included are a few pages about the LHD/RHD controversy.
Apparently it was around 1918 that Canada decided to become entirely LHD, although the last province didn't change until the 1940's. Ford wanted all export markets to be LHD also, to simplify production. NZ and Britain allowed LHD cars in but Australia didn't, forcing Ford of Canada to re-engineer the generator mount. The belt drive generators were short lived, until the conventional layout became available in 1920.

Poppie
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 tourer 18 tourer 18 TT

Post by Poppie » Sat May 21, 2022 8:38 pm

Interesting JohnH, thanks....n,

frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

Post by frontyboy » Mon May 23, 2022 10:28 pm

Les,
I have a cast iron right hand drive hogs head with starter. I believe it came from New Zealand a number of years ago. I also have a right hand drive frame bracket for the steering gear. That bracket I got at Fred Loucks auction a number of years ago.

As I'm not going to use them they are now for sale.

brasscarguy

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Chris Barker » Tue May 24, 2022 12:43 pm

All Ts built in Trafford Park for the UK had RHD hogsheads with starters from 1922 - when they had finally sorted the steering conflict.
I presume that Canadian Ts for the British Empire (Australia, NZ, India etc) were the same.
I have also read that Canada had previously implemented its own solution for RHD before the 'proper' design emerged.

Topic author
Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Tue May 24, 2022 2:54 pm

Dick
Thank you for the offer, but I am not actually looking for a hogshead and I have cast a one off Ross cam and lever steering gear box!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic