Driveshaft confusion, 1927 Touring

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bmklawt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Klawiter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring

Driveshaft confusion, 1927 Touring

Post by bmklawt » Thu May 19, 2022 5:17 pm

Getting into rebuilding the rear axle on my 1927 Touring, took the drive shaft apart and there is a modern bearing in the spool, not sure what the part is called, and no roller bearing, whats going on there.
I need new everything, drive shaft, roller bearing, spool, pinon gear, the only thing that looks good is the thrust bearing, what is a good alternative to replacing the bearing and spool if I can't find original parts, Texas T has a Pinion Bearing Cartridge and Drive Shaft Front Roller Bearing Kit that I could use with my spool or I have seen other options from Texas T and Model T Ranch or should I just replace the bearing that's there and call it good.
I think I've read that using the original bearings on the axles is preferred as they are more forgiving than new modern bearing but I don't know if that is true for the driveshaft.
What are your thoughts?
Side note: What was the Fun Projects pinion bearing I've read about?
Attachments
IMG_3931.jpg
IMG_3928.jpg
IMG_3929.jpg
IMG_3930.jpg

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Driveshaft confusion, 1927 Touring

Post by speedytinc » Thu May 19, 2022 5:55 pm

The replacement Hyatt bearing is no good. Thats a solid roller as opposed to the original rollers, a wound spring.
Thats an interesting ball bearing modification you have. Have not seen this exact mod. I am a fan of going with all original parts.
I do understand the modern replacement taper bearing units work quite well & have no objections.
I let others sing their praises.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:03 pm

Birdhaven bought both Texas T and Fun Projects. They market all items under the Texas T Brand / web site. So the T2587 • '22-'27 Pinion Bearing Assembly Kit is one designed by Fun Projects. The Forum has responded with many likes from those not overly concerned with non-original hidden parts.
The drive shaft may still be usable all depends on how deep the marks are on the u-joint end and its OD of the shaft there. Same is true on the for the OD on the other end. Texas T has instructions for their pinion bearing assembly http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/manuals/T2583-AB.pdf
The Forum comments on the Front Roller Bearing pointed out more questions on its need than the original. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/17 ... 1319985782
My guess is that your pinon spool appears to have been an early design by someone similar to the Pinion Bearing Assembly Kit
--
--
Removing the drive shaft inner sleeve appears to require a lot of effort. That may prompt one to get a new drive shaft aone
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu May 19, 2022 6:46 pm

Have you measured the diameter of u-joint end of the D/S? If not worn too badly, it can be cleaned up & an undersized bushing made. I find if there is more than .008" - .010" wear, you need a new special made bushing or D/S.
There is the possibility of crushing the new bushing to make the I/D smaller to compensate for excessive wear. Same way one can refurbish triple gear bushings. I have not needed to do this for a D/S bushing yet, but have had great success on triple gear bushings..

All this assumes your pinion end is still in spec.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu May 19, 2022 8:53 pm

Some wear in the shaft by the bushing at the U joint end can be compensated for with an undersized bush, but it will require that the square end over which the U joint fits will require machining. The corners of the square must be relieved for the shaft to pass through the undersized bush. It may also mean that a shoulder on the worn section of the shaft needs to be turned off as well.

Allan from down under.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:12 pm

Was there a problem with the function of the drive shaft that you detected? ...... Was there a problem with the gearing in the differential, or problem with the axle wheel bearings?.... Please enlighten us so we can give you more accurate help. Thanks .

Topic author
bmklawt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Klawiter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring

Post by bmklawt » Fri May 20, 2022 9:25 am

This is my first Model T, only driven it a few miles, was following the article "Taking A Model T Out Of Mothballs" and found numerous shade tree fixes on everything and just plain worn out parts. The triple gears were shot and one cylinder only had 10 psi so I'm having the engine rebuilt, front cross member was broken and welded back together in 3 places so I decided on a new frame and as long as I'm that far into it a should rebuild the whole thing, glad I'm doing that, everything is just slapped together, after tearing the rear axle apart I found the drive shaft bearing problem in the spool, the driveshaft was spinning in the bearing because the bearing is locked up, the key ways on the axles are worn beyond repair, there was no babbit or bronze thrust washer, had been put back together with 4 steel thrust washers on each side of the differential, the spider and differential are worn and the spider is sloppy. Seems to be typical of everything on this car

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:40 am

I feel your pain. I bought a beautifully restored car from an estate. Although it hadn't run in a while, I was assured it would run with little effort. I figured anyone who would go to the expense of doing such a nice cosmetic restoration would surely have done the same mechanically. Boy, was I wrong! It was nothing but a headache and in spite of my best efforts still ran like a garbage truck!
I finally decided to trash the engine/transmission/magneto assembly and start anew. I'll see how that goes. Hope your project goes better than mine!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic