Firewall Templates

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Apis Mellifera
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Kemper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Touring

Firewall Templates

Post by Apis Mellifera » Fri May 20, 2022 7:05 pm

Since I have been unable to find a low cowl firewall in steel, is there somewhere I might find a pattern or template to make one out of plywood?

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Firewall Templates

Post by Humblej » Fri May 20, 2022 8:42 pm

No pattetn or template. The Ford drawing is available from Benson Ford Research Center. Be forewarned, it is a complicated part, not just a piece of plywood with a few holes drilled in it. I suggest looking harder for a metal firewall.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Fri May 20, 2022 8:44 pm

M A, I’m almost certain I have a low steel firewall. I’ll look tomorrow, tmorsher@icloud.com to reach me. Tim

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri May 20, 2022 9:11 pm

What year/style is your model T? While Ford only used the low style steel firewall for about one year (not quite a whole model year!)? They made thousands of them as replacements for the earlier cars. I used to see and hear about NOS ones quite often. Generally, for many years, they were easy to find. People in the hobby had a difficult time accepting that they were only correct for one year-model!
There was a great early parts only swap meet in Luray about a week ago.
Using a wooden firewall may not be wrong for even the one year Ford did use them as quite a few surviving cars of that year had wooden firewalls! Unfortunately, Even after dozens of discussions on the subject? I have not yet seen a good diagram of the wooden firewalls. Some of the vendors sell good reproductions. And a few people on here can give contact info for someone that makes them? (I don't actually have that contact information.) And since I have always been on a tight budget, I have made my own wooden firewalls for cars that needed one. I took a tracing off a steel one and altered it slightly because there are a couple small differences and one big difference. So far, that has worked for me. But that would be a problem if you don't have a steel one to copy from?
Have you put a "Wanted to Buy" ad in the parts classified section on this forum?

Tim M just posted. He is a good model T guy to deal with from my experiences with him.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri May 20, 2022 9:52 pm

replacing wood for steel or steel for wood is not a straight-forward swap. You must also consider locating and using the correct mounting brackets to achieve the correct set-back of the firewall
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Apis Mellifera

Post by Apis Mellifera » Fri May 20, 2022 10:08 pm

I did make a WTB ad, but no one responded. What I have is an excellent driving chassis with a horse buggy on a sheet of plywood. It is titled as a '22, but has part of a high cowl and the firewall. I have a low radiator and shroud with hood and '27 front fenders. I also have some rear fenders from a 1909 Sears Motor Buggy that will go on once I make some mounting brackets or find some T fenders. So, clearly not concerned about what is correct. It's was already cobbled together when I got it. My goal is to find a Touring body so my wife and kids can join me for a drive around town. I don't really care how it looks, but I don't really want a depot hack. Unfortunately I missed a steel low cowl firewall for $5 on eBay.

Thanks
Matt

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri May 20, 2022 11:19 pm

A little more on what Wayne said about the single year low steel firewall. The 1923 models came out in August 1922 with wood firewalls. The steel firewall didn't arrive until January 1923. Both wood and steel were used until March or April, then steel only. The instant identifying mark on a 1923 steel (low) firewall is the large wiring hole under the terminal block. On a 24-25 (high) firewall the hole is above the terminal block.

As Jeff says, a factory drawing is probably available from the Benson Ford. If so, it comes as a PDF and costs $7. Just yesterday I used the 15-16 firewall drawing to locate and drill the light switch hole in my new firewall. The factory drawing I used gives very exact measurements, down to ¹⁄₃₂".
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Apis Mellifera

Post by Apis Mellifera » Mon May 23, 2022 7:21 pm

Dropacent wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:44 pm
M A, I’m almost certain I have a low steel firewall. I’ll look tomorrow, tmorsher@icloud.com to reach me. Tim
Sent you an email. May have gone to spam folder.

Otherwise, still looking. Would happily buy a steel low cowl firewall if someone has one available.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic