Hood Alignment

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Hood Alignment

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:21 pm

The hood on my '27 T tends to ride forward until it's too close to the radiator shell. I tried putting a short piece of hood lacing in the front hinge rod clip on the radiator shell. That helped a little, but after a few tens of miles of driving, the hood would creep forward on the hinge rod and again be too close to the shell. I got tired of messing with it and decided to try a fix. I got the hood lined up as best I could with nice gaps fore and aft and the hood hinge rod all the way forward in the clip on the shell. Then I drilled a small hole through the hinge rod close to the hood hinge, and put a small cotter pin through the hole and bent the ends down close to the rod so they won't catch the hood sheet metal when it's opened all the way. I put the looped end of the cotter pin down and put a small piece of hood lacing in the bottom of the clip. So far, it works great.The hinge rod is already as far forward as it can get, and the hood is prevented from riding forward on the hinge rod by the cotter pin.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Hood Alignment

Post by Allan » Sun May 22, 2022 12:31 am

On one of my cars I had the same problem. I cured it with a little custom turned bushing at the front. I machined a piece of rod to the OD of the hood hinge, drilled a 3/8" hole in the end and slipped it over the hinge rod. A bit of fiddling with the length of the hood rod and the bushing and all was fixed.
I use solid brass rods in all my hood hinges. They don't rust, so are easy to remove any time necessary.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Hood Alignment

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:29 am

That would be a better solution, and would avoid the chance the cotter pin ends could foul the sheet metal. A piece of copper tubing or a brass pipe nipple might serve as a bushing, if either is available in a suitable size. Some parts stores here have assortments of small brass bushings. I'll look for one in the right size, or close to it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic