Brake Pedal

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
CatGuy
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Hunt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Runabout

Brake Pedal

Post by CatGuy » Mon May 23, 2022 10:57 am

I'm drifting again, but in order to drive this and see my improvements I'll need to get the brakes as good as I can. For some reason the brake pedal won't come back off the floor. It's not 100% on the floor, but close. A time or two I think I heard 'growling' from the transmission as if the brake was actually taking hold. I usually pull the pedal up with my foot. So, what causes this? Is there an adjustment?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Brake Pedal

Post by speedytinc » Mon May 23, 2022 11:10 am

Brake band needs tightening @ a minimum. New to you unserviced T. Old band lining could be rotten(highly likely) and/or worn out. You will be needing to do a band job. Get the service manual out & read up on it. Be extremely careful not to drop any of the band hardware into the motor. It can be a very unpleasant fishing expedition.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon May 23, 2022 11:14 am

Could be the springs between the ends of the band are too weak. The pedal could be dragging on floorboard. As the pedal is released, it should move to the left as it moves back. If it is against the floorboard, it will stick. Or the cam on the pedal or the side of the transmission could be worn so the pedal goes down a bit before it begins to travel. When the pedal reaches the limits of the cam, the spring will not push it farther back. You can add a spring to the pedal shaft to the frame or to the corner of the radius rod to pull the pedal back farther. Or if you have auxiliary brakes, something in that mechanism could be pulling on the pedal. You will just need to investigate until you find out what it actually is. A work of caution, if it is the cam wear, be sure it is moving back enough to completely release the brake band so there is no drag.
Norm

Scott_Conger
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon May 23, 2022 12:26 pm

take a close-up photo of the pedal and the cam it rides on
open the transmission door, focus on the band and spring, and take a close-up photo with the pedal all the way "down"
open the transmission door, focus on the band and spring, and take a close up photo with the pedal all the way "up"
post all photos

the ramps may be worn to the point where the pedal is riding up and off of the ramp
bands may be worn so far that they are not engaging, and allowing excessive pedal movement
wrong or compressed springs may lack energy to overcome friction at the ramp
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
CatGuy
Last Name: Hunt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Runabout

Post by CatGuy » Mon May 23, 2022 3:14 pm

I spoke too soon. I drove to lunch and back with it. When I went out I noticed that the floor boards had shifted to the left just enough to keep the pedal from coming up. I'll still need to post those pictures later, but it's not quite as critical as it had seemed. I'm sure the bands will need some looking into. I'm getting used to approaching Stop Signs and not using the brakes. What I will do shall a panic stop present itself......

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon May 23, 2022 4:25 pm

In the case of a panic stop, push up the throttle all the way, stomp the brake and as you slow down stomp the low pedal. when you have almost come to a stop, pull the hand brake. Note two things: 1. do not use the hand brake until you are going slow because it puts you in neutral and disconnects the compression braking of the engine. 2. All brake systems and the pedals only lock the rear wheels and when they are sliding, only the tires will hold you, also you could skid. So try to avoid a panic stop and try to leave yourself an out such as a shoulder of the road.
Norm

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Mon May 23, 2022 7:15 pm

...and if that doesn’t work, aim your T at something inexpensive...😜
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon May 23, 2022 7:38 pm

CatGuy wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:14 pm
I spoke too soon. I drove to lunch and back with it. When I went out I noticed that the floor boards had shifted to the left just enough to keep the pedal from coming up. I'll still need to post those pictures later, but it's not quite as critical as it had seemed. I'm sure the bands will need some looking into. I'm getting used to approaching Stop Signs and not using the brakes. What I will do shall a panic stop present itself......
Well you saved me from mentioning simple floorboard clearance :lol: ...that was my first thought, second one was the bands are too loose. Third is the cam wear. Otherwise, you've got it covered.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic