paint manifold

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
andy2794
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Apjok
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring

paint manifold

Post by andy2794 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:22 pm

I want to paint my manifold on my 1916 T gloss black, does any know where you can get gloss black manifold paint?

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: paint manifold

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue May 24, 2022 5:47 pm

When did I do that?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue May 24, 2022 6:14 pm

That would be a good INTAKE manifold paint. Which manifold do you suppose he wants to paint?

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by MichaelPawelek » Tue May 24, 2022 6:36 pm

I use this manifold dressing instead of paint and heat has no effect on it. I think it is more of a graphite paste. Comes in a small jar but it will easily cover 4-5 Model T exhaust manifolds.
I use a throw away plastic glove and smear it on and smooth with a index finger.

https://www.amazon.com/Keen-Parts-Exhau ... 272&sr=1-8

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue May 24, 2022 6:40 pm

MichaelPawelek wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:36 pm
I use this manifold dressing instead of paint and heat has no effect on it. I think it is more of a graphite paste. Comes in a small jar but it will easily cover 4-5 Model T exhaust manifolds.
https://www.amazon.com/Keen-Parts-Exhau ... 272&sr=1-8
OP's looking for GLOSS BLACK paint. I could only find satin & flat. I have seen glossy exhaust manifolds. They were porcelainized, not painted.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue May 24, 2022 7:42 pm

Period Jaguars had gloss black exhaust manifolds. It is the same process as used on bathtubs, and to make porcelain enamel signs. I have no idea who would be able to do such work these days.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
andy2794
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Apjok
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring

Post by andy2794 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:27 pm

I forgot to say I want to paint the exhaust manifold.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:43 pm

I would "paint" it rather used Stove Black polish.
sblk.png
-
--
If you paint it you need to let it natural cure for at least a week (ignore what the directions say). I have used Rustoleum High Heat (2000 degrees) not to be confused with ULTRA High Heat (1200 degrees).
So compare the ads aon what they claim.
Rust-Oleum® HIGH HEAT is a tough protective enamel that renews and protects surfaces subject to heat up to 2000°F (1093° C).
POR-15 High Temp Heat-Resistant Paint is capable of withstanding extreme temperatures up to 1200°F
Eastwood's 2K Aerospray High Temp Engine Paints Temperature resistant up to 650 degrees F
Eastwood Factory Gray Hi-Temp Coating Replicate the look of cast iron on manifolds, headers; protects to 1400°F
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 am

Gloss Black for exhaust manifolds seems to be the holy grail of colors. I have been trying to find such a coating for one project or another for 40+ years. So far, no real successes, but plenty of failures. Of the "paints" that I have tried, most have flaked off under operating temps almost immediately.

My Dad paid about $400 to have his '32 Pierce Arrow manifold re-porcelainized by a big name outfit. It crazed and then began flaking off within a few miles. At that time I was working for NASA on the space shuttle, so I asked some pretty knowledgeable engineers who were working on the surface protection tiles. It turns out that putting a ceramic coating (porcelain type) on a surface is a pretty tricky proposition. Some of the early tile coatings would chip and crack if you so much as dropped a coin on them. Later, they learned to make the coatings more durable, but the final process was very batch sensitive. It had to do with matching the thermal expansion coefficient with substrate. These guys said that sinks and bathtubs with porcelain coatings just didn't get hot enough to be tempermental. Today's porcelainizing businesses just have no experience with high temperature environments nor is there any reason to spend the money to refine their processes to work in a high temperature application.

When you see a classic car with a perfect appearing porcelain manifold you are normally looking at a car that is run only for short periods (on and off the trailer) with a very rich mixture.

Stove black works about as well as anything else, but requires frequent re-application and isn't all that glossy.

The Jet-Hot ceramic coatings are among the best, but they don't come in gloss black.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic