Very Unique T Roadster in '20s Ford Race at Legion Ascot Park Race Track

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
David Greenlees
First Name: David
Last Name: Greenlees
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T racing car, 1924 Model T Depot Hack with original York #803 body.

Very Unique T Roadster in '20s Ford Race at Legion Ascot Park Race Track

Post by David Greenlees » Thu May 26, 2022 1:37 pm

Stock Model T's, in short, "Ford Races," were a part of the program at some of the larger race meets as a filler before the featured races. These races were just as popular with Ford Owners in the grandstand as the Fronty Fords that ran in the Indianapolis 500 races in the 1920s.

This race was held at the Legion Ascot Park Race Track outside of Los Angeles in the late 1920s and the clever owner of the #7 car "channeled" and lowered the front half of the body over the frame. In addition, the radiator was "sectioned," and the hood was lowered, giving the car a smaller frontal area for better aerodynamics and some weight loss. Lighter wire wheels allowed the car to accelerate faster and handle better than the other cars with stock wooden wheels.
Attachments
0-1.jpg

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Re: Very Unique T Roadster in '20s Ford Race at Legion Ascot Park Race Track

Post by A Whiteman » Thu May 26, 2022 6:15 pm

That is cool! Nice details there.

What is the exact difference between wire and wood wheels?
My buddy is trying to get me to use wires on my roadster (he has a nice spare set), but wheel for wheel the wires are quite a bit heavier than my woods (that metal in the hub I think).

I would imagine for racing wires would be deemed to be safer than wood that can let go with no warning.

modeltspaz
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Spaziano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 21699

Post by modeltspaz » Thu May 26, 2022 10:39 pm

Leigon Ascot Park was located in what became the City of El Sereno, near Valley Blvd and Soto Street.
The track became renowned for it's "Death Curve" that ultimately killed dozens of drivers. This is where the famous "Turkey Night" race began. This race continues today and is ran every year on Thanksgiving night. The current location for the race is at Irwindale Raceway in the City of Irwindale near Live Oak Blvd and the 605 frwy.
The original track operated from 1924-1936. There were several Ascot Park racetracks around Southern California.
In case anyone was wondering, this is not the final iteration of Southern California Ascot Park racetracks. The last was owned by J. C. Agajanian and was located near what is now the intersection of the 91 and the 110 freeways in Gardena, California.
The famous Dewey "Rajo Jack" Gatson, one of the first African-American race car drivers in the U.S., raced at Leigon Ascot Park.
Knowledge that isn't shared, is wasted knowledge.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Fri May 27, 2022 1:36 am

Adrian

I think the biggest difference between wood and wire wheels is the ease in changing a tire or a tube. Most wood wheels are clinchers, and those can be a bitch. Wire wheels just pop on and off like modern wheels. I do not think there is much difference between wood and wire in terms of strength or resiliency. Just drive correctly and you should have nothing to worry about.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic