Watts clutch setup problem

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Watts clutch setup problem

Post by MWalker » Fri May 27, 2022 4:02 pm

I have just replaced a faulty aftermarket clutch with a NOS Watts clutch which was made when Mr. Watts had that business. I have used several Watts clutches in the past and had no problems with them. I always set them up using the 13/16" measurement under the fingers, and that always worked out fine, within 1/2 turn or so. I installed this clutch following RV's instruction sheet and began to adjust the three fingers, but the spring was compressed to 1-1/2" before I reached the 13/16. Yes, I'm using a push ring with shortened pins. Mine measure .922". The clutch pack (see pics) is about 1/8" below the top edge of the brake drum, and with the drive plate in place, the push ring pins extend about 1/8" above the drive plate. I'm hoping that someone with a lot more experience with clutches will be able to see something wrong here. I'm thinking that I need to shorten the push ring pins even more in order to get things where they need to be. Thanks for any help.
DSCN5252.JPG
DSCN5253.JPG

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Watts clutch setup problem

Post by speedytinc » Fri May 27, 2022 4:33 pm

Speedy T clutch aka jack rabbit.
What is this short pin thing? is it part of watts instruction? You clearly have a clutch pack thickness issue. Make sure that after you bolt the drive plate down that the push ring has plenty of free movement.(without the spring)

I can speak to setting up my clutches. With a normal push ring, the pins should be at least 1/8" I prefer as high as possible with the push ring free, as mentioned. To get this setting, it usually takes an 8 pack clutch with 3 large disks installed last.(or the Chaffin 9 pack with 10 large disks) The extra 2 are for maximum adjustment space to replace the unnecessary 9th 400 disk.
Now check it with the complete drive plate installed. when the clutch pack thickness is correct you will have your 13/16" dimension minus 1/2 turn on the 3 fingers,(I like em a bit tighter), the spring dimension is just under 2"(with the replacement 120-130# spring), and you can just get cotter pins into the 3 finger screws.(screws are as high as possible) I grind a second slot into each set screw to make for a more precise adjustment.(1/4 turn VS 1/2 turn)
I believe the Watts clutch disks are too thick, requiring less disks with not enough friction surface without making for an extremely heavy clutch pedal so there is no slipping. Just what I have gathered. Admittedly no direct experience.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Fri May 27, 2022 4:36 pm

Shorten the pins more?? Make sure your push ring is not going to be locked up. Are your 3 finger screws backed off as far as possible?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri May 27, 2022 6:05 pm

Mike

start by measuring the entire stack height of the plates...should be around 1 1/8" tall...now you can go from there...
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
MWalker

Post by MWalker » Fri May 27, 2022 6:15 pm

Yes, you need to shorten the pins for a Watts clutch because the clutch pack is thicker. Mine (with the 8 steel discs called for in the instructions) is 1-1/4" total thickness.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Fri May 27, 2022 6:50 pm

MWalker wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:15 pm
Yes, you need to shorten the pins for a Watts clutch because the clutch pack is thicker. Mine (with the 8 steel discs called for in the instructions) is 1-1/4" total thickness.
Per Scotts dimension, your pack is 1/8" too tall. (isnt that about 1 watts disk thickness)That fits with your cutting down the push ring. Finger screws all the way maximum out?
Again I would be concerned for the push ring clearance between the output plate. You could be locking up the clutch.

Topic author
MWalker

Post by MWalker » Fri May 27, 2022 7:45 pm

With the drive pate in place, I can grab the ends of the push ring pins with pliers and move them up and down 1/16" or more, so the ring isn't being bound up.

tman1913
Last Name: Bender
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian touring, 1924 Roadster, 1926 Mercury speedster, 1927 Roadster p/u, 1920’s bobtail dirt track racer
MTFCA Number: 21160

Post by tman1913 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:16 pm

The watts clutch pack overall height is 1.250’.
Mike has installed them in the order called for in the instructions.
We have compared the stack height with two sets I have in my shop.
We also compared the push ring pin heights with his and three that I have and all are within a few thousand of and inch.
There is plenty of room for the push ring to release without contacting the drive plate. Has nothing to due with his problem
RV’s instructions address setting the spring height at 13/16” finger clearance with a 2” clutch spring height. (A starting point).
Mike’s post is looking for why his spring is compressing more than called for. Has anyone ran into the same problem.
We know how to fix by reducing the push ring pin height that is one option.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Fri May 27, 2022 8:54 pm

Sounds like the spring cup hasn't got the pin in it's locating spot.
Reducing the pin height on the push ring will do nothing, for what is removed is replaced by screwing in the adjusters to put the clutch shift ring back to the 13/16" clearance and put the spring exactly as is now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic