Cartouche Upholstery

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Cartouche Upholstery

Post by Original Smith » Sat May 28, 2022 4:11 pm

I recently was asked to help a friend with his Cartouche upholstery. I have never seen such a lack of research and responsibility as I witnessed with this kit. I usually dislike anything that is a reproduction, but this one takes the cake. I wonder why Langs and Snyders even carry that brand? Shame on them.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Cartouche Upholstery

Post by Moxie26 » Sat May 28, 2022 4:37 pm

Larry... It seems that you should be the first class upholsterer that we should all go to..... Your negative mindset preempted any positive results. No matter who you order upholstery from, one always needs to add some cotton batting to plump out the cushions according to their taste..... After you calm down you can help your friend.... Have a great weekend, and be safe.

SteveBoothroyd
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Boothroyd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: US built 1922 touring

Post by SteveBoothroyd » Sat May 28, 2022 5:01 pm

My '22 Touring has the original upholstery still in decent condition.
The original Top was another story.
I got the new top from Clastique and it was fantastic.
Only took a day, but the top looks great!
Sorry to hear that you are not satisfied; perhaps you should have contacted them first to see if the situation could be fixed by Clastique.

Regards,

Steve Boothroyd

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Sat May 28, 2022 5:45 pm

When you start out expecting to be disappointed you almost certainly will be. You would be better served by simply avoiding them. By the way, do you have a better idea or do you just get a thrill from complaining.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat May 28, 2022 6:12 pm

Yep...exactly why Classtique is the best by far.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat May 28, 2022 11:55 pm

I recently replaced my top with a product from Cartouche. Worked just fine and they were a pleasure to deal with. Larry, what did they say to you when you contacted them about the issue?

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun May 29, 2022 6:08 am

David you are a comedian!!!! Never had a problem with their products either, yes cheaper than others in quality and price but does the job since most are not going for a trophy with limited use/budget. You can not buy the material and stitch it up for their price..., ask me how I know. Started my upholster apprenticeship at age 14. Maybe they have him on call block?

Hank

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun May 29, 2022 8:20 am

Well
I have used both brands of upholstery. Cartouche and Classtique.
Both worked and look fine for me. I’m glad there are different companies that still make T upholstery and people can make a choice. There are discrepancies in both products if you look close enough. If you don’t think so you just haven’t looked close enough. But I’m not going to complain about it. If you have an issue with them call or contact them but don’t get on here and complain to everybody about it.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:25 am

Original goats, cows, and pyroxyls are no longer available. The Pyroxyl has been extinct in the wild since 1959, and the Nauga is critically endangered.

modeltspaz
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Spaziano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 21699

Post by modeltspaz » Sun May 29, 2022 11:15 am

If you all want a little "Reality Check" Google "LeBaron-Bonney" or "Hampton Coach".
For those few that don't know, LeBaron-Bonny was THE number one retailer of reproduction Model A interiors. Their interiors were prize winners.
Hampton Coach was the equal in G.M., primarily Chevrolet. Absolutely beautiful work. As close a match to the original as you could find.
Then, LeBaron-Bonny decided to buy Hampton Coach. After all, same type of product, just a different brand. Right?
Then, one day, the employees reported for work to find the doors locked. Owners filed for bankruptcy. Done. There was talk of someone buying the business and getting it started up again. That was awhile ago. Haven't heard anything lately.
At least the Model A bunch now has a quality alternative. Classtique. The G. M. guys- hope you know how to run a sewing machine.
Knowledge that isn't shared, is wasted knowledge.

TMiller6
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16, 24, 26 Touring - 26 Roadster and Fordor
MTFCA Number: 14069
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by TMiller6 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:55 am

I have one car with Cartouche upholstery.
Last edited by TMiller6 on Sun May 29, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Sun May 29, 2022 3:40 pm

Cartouche is Ecklers. The service I have received from them is despicable. Because of this I never order anything from them anymore.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Sun May 29, 2022 5:04 pm

My 27 coupe is upholstered with a Cartouche kit. I didn't install it; I had a local classic car upholstery shop do it since they had the experience. They said it when on pretty straight forward with only a few modifications. I didn't ask them what those 'mods' were, but I sure can't see them.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Sun May 29, 2022 5:18 pm

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Sun May 29, 2022 5:46 pm

A few years ago I purchased my first Model A. It was freshyly painted and had a Cartouche interior kit that was mostly in boxes. My wife and I finished the installation and it was OK. I would have asked more questions and likely paid more for a better kit had it not come with the car but I intended the car to be a driver, shows and points are not on my list of priorities. There were no instructions with the kit (I expect they were lost by the prior owner) but I called Ecklers and they promptly sent me a set and answered questions that I had about some minor issues. I have heard many stories about Ecklers and they did better by me than I expected. Would I go to them for parts or another kit? No probably not unless they were the only game in town but that's just me and a variety of other folks.

Dropacent
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sun May 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Not meant to defend or explain any company, but I’d say it’s very difficult to put instructions on how to upholster an auto or install a top. Auto trimmers are a real trade and it takes years to master the craft. Some would say it never can be mastered, but always improved on. Most model Ts are on the low rung as far as difficulty, and if you choose to do it yourself, it may just look like it, no matter where you buy your kit.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun May 29, 2022 7:01 pm

Some of the problems are with the bows themselves. Some used ones are bent and hard to get in alignment. Others are a mixed set from several cars, using the best parts. And the length of the wood or the curve of the bent pieces of wood are not quite correct. So any installation needs some minor adjustments. Seat springs are also difficult. New ones might not be exactly the same as original, and used ones might be bent. Especially on the cars with the gas tank under the seat. Unless there is a piece of wood or steel under the seat, they tend to bend down and ride on top of the tank.
Also the amount of padding in the seat could be too little or too much and can also be adjusted according to the weight and leg length of the driver.
Anyway, many things can affect the fit of the upholstery and tops and I personally think it's great there are companies who make the kits. Most of us don't have the sewing machines or knowledge of how to use them and upholstery shops charge a lot more to make a custom top.
Anyway, I have used both brands, and most important thing I have found is not to cut or trim anything until I know it is fitting as well as I can get it.
Norm

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sun May 29, 2022 8:01 pm

What I enjoy is how Original Smith can twiddle a stick into a beehive, the reactions often creating an enjoyable and educational thread.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun May 29, 2022 8:53 pm

Sorry to be a downer, but badmouthing a supplier and a supplier's product is not amusing to me, and it is not acceptable on this Forum if rules mean anything. Rather than sell a product which does not meet one man's expectation, am I to suppose to understand that suppliers offer NOTHING to their customers if that product falls short of perfection? I'm not aware of any other upholstery vendor that wholesales to the hobby, but I may be mistaken.

Count me as someone who does not find these ever more frequent rants either clever or charming, but simply very bad form.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

EricMac
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Macleod
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 24 Touring, 26 Fordor, 27 Fordor, 27 Touring, '92 Stynoski, '06 Stynoski owner emeritus
MTFCA Number: 50125
MTFCI Number: 19464
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by EricMac » Sun May 29, 2022 10:52 pm

Seems to me if all a poster can do is offer negativity, maybe they should no longer be allowed to post. I, for one have been pleased with almost everything every after-market provider has sold to me. Have I had to work at the installation occasionally? Yes. But folks, that's the hobby...and the fun.
1913 Touring
1926 Fordor
1926 Touring
1927 Touring
Stynoski 2006, Nash, Franklin, Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick owner emeritus

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon May 30, 2022 1:11 am

I am surprised Larry has not purchased Chaffin's and shown all of us the correct way to run a wholesaler, along with his upholstery shop. I am just dying with anticipation!

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:04 am

Dave..... Spoke to a few friends, off the forum of course, that share your same conclusion... And he would even have help with a few others that do post that have the " do it my way or take the highway" mental attitude.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Tue May 31, 2022 9:19 am

867B55F0-3EAF-4ED2-9CE2-33D64ADA5047.jpeg

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue May 31, 2022 10:10 am

There are readers on this forum who refuse to listen to the truth, which is the reason for the forum. If you don't like my messages, then, don't read them! I'm only trying to help those who might be sucked into buying an inferior item. Oh, I failed to mention, the upholstery buttons used for my initial post are incorrect too. They are one size too big, and are covered with upholstery fabric too, which Ford didn't do!

RichJ
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Jesteadt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1913 Touring project w. "A" crank shaft
MTFCA Number: 50484
MTFCI Number: 24737

Post by RichJ » Tue May 31, 2022 10:21 am

TWrenn wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:12 pm
Yep...exactly why Classtique is the best by far.
I've had a not so pleasant experience with Mike from classique,
it was several years ago
also spoke to others who experienced same ill never go public, beyond this, just saying he does not walk on water.
contact me off line if you choose
apologize in advance to anyone who feels this negative post.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:48 am

Saw a wolf today......

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Tue May 31, 2022 11:04 am

Original Smith wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:10 am
Oh, I failed to mention, the upholstery buttons used for my initial post are incorrect too. They are one size too big, and are covered with upholstery fabric too, which Ford didn't do!
Three days later and almost 2 dozen posts to the thread, the mention of the incorrect upholstery buttons is the first mention of any specific problem or shortcoming other than a general complaint about lack of research and responsibility. What are the issues with the kit, beyond the buttons?
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 31, 2022 11:05 am

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends- ... 0671027034 Works for some and some it doesn’t.

Tim Rogers
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Tue May 31, 2022 11:27 am

"There are readers on this forum who refuse to listen to the truth"

Truer words were never spoken...

truth.jpg
truth.jpg (12.12 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue May 31, 2022 12:53 pm

Just what is the truth, Tim?

is it that Lang's and Snyders should be ashamed to offer the ONLY kit offered wholesale to the hobby?

is it that Lang's and Snyders should cease selling any product which fails to be 100% authentic for the original?

is it the fact that Larry states that he hates reproductions of anything, and thus cannot help but be disappointed with anything but NOS cloth?

I know that "truth" is your schtick, but here is the TRUTH: From Forum Rules - Making derogatory remarks about a competitor, a competitor’s products or other products is not allowed and may result in disciplinary action up to and including loss of your forum use privileges.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686

Post by noelchico » Tue May 31, 2022 2:00 pm

I, for one, am happy with Clastique. I am happy we have Cartouche and all the other manufacturers who continue to support this hobby. I sure couldn't make what they are providing for the cost and research and acquisition of the materials that they do. I suspect that it may be difficult, if not impossible, to obtain some components correct for original, and thus they use the closest they can easily acquire. If they, or I, decided to produce the "correct" buttons or whatever component, it would simply not get done. My thanks and support for all the suppliers.

Tim Rogers
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout

Post by Tim Rogers » Tue May 31, 2022 2:40 pm

Scott- I guess the truth is whatever you say it is, but here are two facts (oh no!) that cannot be disputed:

1. I enjoy your contributions to the forum and the hobby
2. Your ability and willingness to consistently moderate my posts is unparalleled

star.jpg
star.jpg (6.35 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 31, 2022 6:51 pm

The movie that Jack Nicholson was in and made the comment You can’t handle the truth played the part of playing a self absorbed A*” H’*# pretty well. And that is the truth.
Some don’t have to be a good actor to play parts like that. It just comes naturally.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667

Post by CudaMan » Tue May 31, 2022 7:12 pm

When I sent Mike at Classtique the original leather seat cover from my Flanders to use as a pattern for a custom seat kit, I requested and offered to pay for additional cotton padding so that I could make the recovered seat "extra poofy". Mike happily complied and I actually ended up with some cotton left after stuffing it to the max. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Tmooreheadf
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Moorehead
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring, 25 Coupe,
MTFCA Number: 22348
MTFCI Number: 18916

Post by Tmooreheadf » Tue May 31, 2022 9:29 pm

Mike at Classtique, supplied me with interior and top for my 1924 touring. Excellent quality, easy to install and if I had questions, a quick call and he straightened me out. Good place to do business with!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic