Top Boot straps, original width?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Top Boot straps, original width?

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:10 pm

In short, what is the original width of the 3 woven webbing straps that hold the Top Boot in place? Is the width 5/8" or 3/4" wide?

The photo shown below was taken from the a thread on the old Forum, in which you can see an original next to 3 replacements. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1455820509

top boot strap.jpg
top boot strap.jpg (73.68 KiB) Viewed 857 times

I would like to replace the 3 straps on a new Top Boot and would like to get the "correct" width material. The straps that came on the new Top Boot are 3/4" wide, but are also a synthetic material and not a woven cotton webbing. The other question that I have would be about attachment of the straps to the Top Boot. In the photo below (again, taken from a post on the old Forum) it shows the straps being riveted in place, would these have been double cap rivets or solid copper rivets and a burr. I would think that they would have been double cap rivets due to the fact/chance that either side may come into contact with other material. And would they have been riveted only or riveted and stitched? Any help or information that anyone may be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated.

topboot7.jpg
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Re: Top Boot straps, original width?

Post by VowellArt » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:47 pm

Go to any Joann's Sewing Center, they have webbing in just about any width, that's where I went and got my webbing for by front top bow hook straps and rear curtain straps for my early 22 touring. They also carry the snaps and the tools to affix them with too. :)
Fun never quits!

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Re: Top Boot straps, original width?

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:56 pm

IMG_7040.JPG

Success! After speaking with Erik in regards to his original Top Boot, the straps are 5/8" in width. The new Top Boot that I had purchased is at the canvas shop having the missing re-enforcement stitching added and once I get it back I will make the "correct-ish" straps (wrong metal tips) and install them onto the Top Boot. The strap above is one of the 3 that mount behind the seat cushion. The correct metal end tips for 5/8" webbing are very hard to find (usually military surplus, when you can find them), so I used the ball end tips to keep the ends from fraying. Some 5/8" nickle plate, tongueless buckles and double cap rivets and we are in business. Much better with the woven cotton webbing rather than the polypropylene webbing that came with the Top Boot.

IMG_7041.JPG
IMG_7042.JPG
IMG_7043.JPG
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic