A productive day at Mike Bender's shop

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

A productive day at Mike Bender's shop

Post by NealW » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:49 am

Mike Bender rebuilt the engine and rear axle of our 15 runabout when I restored it three years ago. I am currently restoring an 11 touring, but this time I am also doing the engine and axle rebuilding. The block required some brazed repairs, which properly done, result in all the babbitt being melted. So yesterday I spent a long but productive day at Mike's shop in Tulsa "helping" him put new babbitt into the block.

It was fun and educational watching him pour the babbitt and line bore it to provide the proper clearance to my crankshaft. He also machined it to allow the proper thrust clearance for the crankshaft, as well as put in and reamed a new camshaft bushing. He even let me pick out a better cam from his bone pile. To top it off, the oil pan went onto his straightening jig for a small amount of tweaking to get it trued up.

We are very fortunate in the Model T community to have people available to do this work at fair prices, and allow you to learn from the process.

Thanks Mike!
Attachments
PXL_20220622_142637865.jpg
PXL_20220622_164351166.jpg

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Re: A productive day at Mike Bender's shop

Post by Alan Long » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:12 am

Visiting Mike from Australia is too difficult but I enjoy and learnt a heap watching his U Tube videos.
A great guy and tradesman!
Alan In Western Australia

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic