Gastank cap thread size - Please help

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
rainer
First Name: Rainer
Last Name: Hantsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Lizzy: Model T Touring 1916, brass & black
Board Member Since: 2021

Gastank cap thread size - Please help

Post by rainer » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 am

Hello.

I am working on an "emergency" gas-tank cap. In case that I am low on gas I want to use an air-pump to pressurize the tank a little bit.

Of course, I don't want to modify the original brass cap, and even a used one is too expensive because of shipping cost, so I got the idea to 3D print one, including the thread, in Nylon, with a little nipple for a 6-4 mm (OD-ID) PVC hose.

Can somebody tell me which thread is used on the gas-tank, please?

I have a Touring 1916 with round tank under the seat.

Do metal barrels have the same cap? Never thought about that, but would be an option, too. :D
Model T Touring 1916

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Gastank cap thread size - Please help

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:03 pm

Hear is a link to a previous discussion about the same question http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1386386199
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
rainer
First Name: Rainer
Last Name: Hantsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Lizzy: Model T Touring 1916, brass & black
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by rainer » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:53 pm

Thank you so much for this link.

Rainer :D
Model T Touring 1916

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:48 pm

The petrol tank cap is a fairly standard size and thread. A Fordson tractor cap fits, either the radiator cap or the fuel tank cap. A more ready source is the bung in a 200 litre fuel/chemical drum. Nowadays these are usually diecast, so any fitting to the bung would need to be bolt-in rather than welded/soldered.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic