No connections between steering column and carb or spark advance problem?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dave_Kriegel
First Name: David
Last Name: Kriegel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 1926
MTFCA Number: 52627
Board Member Since: 1999

No connections between steering column and carb or spark advance problem?

Post by Dave_Kriegel » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:15 am

I have been working on Model T's for 20 years and still only know a little bit about these great cars This forum and the little black book have taught me a great deal ! I am fixing one that has no connecting control rods between the spark advance and carb control rods on the steering column There are no connecting pieces on either of the rods! It appears someone either removed them or put the column in upside down. Therefore no control over carb or spark advance

My question is does anyone make a connection piece(s) I can fit to the rods so I can then connect the connecting rods to the spark advance and carb ?
It appears at the factory these were slipped over the rod as a unit I would prefer not to take the steering column out . Probably easy just something I have not yet done Basically any suggestions on how to fix this problem

This car a 2 seater has the convertible top frame so I also need to learn to mount the fabric top to the back bottom rail Always some new skill to learn

THANK YOU RAJORACER for your reply These are the parts I thing I need to mount to proper rods connecting the commutator and carb !!

https://www.modeltford.com/item/6297.aspx
Last edited by Dave_Kriegel on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: No connections between steering column and carb or spark advance problem?

Post by Mark Nunn » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:31 am

The throttle and spark rod levers are available from the vendors. Part numbers are 3530 for spark and 3531A for throttle. I checked Lang's but I assume Chaffins, Snyders and others have them too.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:43 am

It would be helpful to know a bit more about the car. I will list some questions.
1. Do you know what year it is? There are some differences with the 26-27 cars.
2. Are the rods on the steering column at the top of the column or underneath it? You say it appears to be upside down. A picture would help.
3. Is there a hole in the center of the block below the water input and the carburetor?
4. Some pictures would help us understand which connections are missing.
Norm

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:02 am

Yes a picture of your car is needed to determine what year your car is. The small control levers on the ends of the control rods were originally held on with pins that were braded on.

Remember when you replace them they need to be in the right position when they are installed. The Ford service manual has pictures of the engine compartment where you can see how they are positioned.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:47 am

You might consider one of these for the throttle but I don't believe there's enough room near the steering bracket to use for the spark lead.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/6297.aspx

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:04 am

It's unclear to me exactly what you're missing. Look in your parts book. There are pictures of levers (3530, 3531) and pull rods (3534, 3535). The book tells which versions of those parts belong on your car. If you buy levers, be sure you get the pins that hold them in place.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:23 am

I'm understanding from his post that someone didn't re-install the throttle & spark leads on the column and he stated he'd rather not remove the column to install them.

I believe one might just remove the steering bracket from the frame and slide the throttle lead onto the rod & pin it - obviously, one would need to re-install the steering bracket prior to installing the spark lead on & pinning it.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:04 pm

Pictures say a thousand words. Was the car your working on a running car? If it was it must have had a different set than an original car.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:56 pm

The lower bracket is installed be for the spark lever at the bottom. It can be installed while everything is in the car. For the throttle, install that one that the link was posted to, or take off the pitman arm, unbolt and side the lower mounting bracket down and install the correct one. The column does not have to be removed.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic