Quirky steering source found!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Quirky steering source found!

Post by DanTreace » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:55 pm

On the '27 the steering has been a bit quirky at times. Have always checked the obvious pieces of the front end, steering gear, king pins, spindle bearings, air pressure in tires, spring hangers. etc. etc.

But garage time today, jacked up the chassis, and pulled the wheels for tour inspections and grease, and noticed the spring stack would slightly wiggle, as one or two leafs could be displaced. Odd..... :?

IMG_1833.jpg
Note the shift between spring leafs.
IMG_1834.jpg

Well, removed the very tight front spring clip to allow the spring to drop down to inspect

IMG_1837.jpg

Oh my :shock: Now I know the source of odd wiggle squiggle. Odd too, no pieces of those leafs were in the crossmember, must be somewhere on a road...UPDATE. didn't look close, but the busted ones just slide to one side, taking the spring clamp too, funny never noticed the longer leaf on the left side :shock: ...on with the fix with a new T-Springs front spring, those old 100 year old leafs can't last forever ;)

IMG_1839.jpg
Last edited by DanTreace on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Quirky steering source found!

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:00 pm

I've found quite a few fragments of T front springs along dirt roads and in pastures where roads once were. Most of them were from the top or second leaf and had broken at the tie bolt.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:13 pm

I’ve often wondered if the shorter springs could be made from a good longer spring if you didn’t have one. It could be cut to the needed shorter length and used. I’ve got pieces of springs from the remains of T trailers and thought about trying it. To me it seems like you could since the curve is already there. 🤔

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:00 pm

Hi John,
Yes you can I made my 8 leaf rear a 13 leaf for my fire truck by adding another second leaf & cutting off the next 4 enough to fit in length. Not correct
for a T but worked. Hard to cut, I used a abrasive cut off saw to cut them off & a grinder round & smooth the edges.
Craig.

BigBen
First Name: Ben
Last Name: Austin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring
MTFCA Number: 30480
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by BigBen » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:01 pm

John kuehn wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:13 pm
I’ve often wondered if the shorter springs could be made from a good longer spring if you didn’t have one. It could be cut to the needed shorter length and used. I’ve got pieces of springs from the remains of T trailers and thought about trying it. To me it seems like you could since the curve is already there. 🤔
We've done this as well. The top two were broken, and at the time nothing was available. My Dad knew an Old Boy that had some parts, he gave us some longer leafs that were cut down to make the shorter ones, been about 35 years now, still going.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic