Crankshaft Counter Weights

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813
Board Member Since: 2005

Crankshaft Counter Weights

Post by tmodeldriver » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:32 pm

Yesterday I scored a set of counter weights at a price too good to pass up. So this is the first time I've actually given any thought to using them in a engine. I would be interested in the opinions of you guys who may have used them in the past. So tell me what you think, pros, cons, successes, failures, whatever. Thanks in advance. Bob

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: Crankshaft Counter Weights

Post by Les Schubert » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:09 pm

I have run a set of Dunn counter weights very successfully for almost 45 years and MANY thousands of miles on my 27 roadster. I probably spent a week fitting them so they would not distort the crank when the bolts were torqued. And then I had the crank dynamically balanced. I have heard of numerous problems but I suspect that they didn’t spend the time to get the installation right.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:16 pm

Hi Robert,
Talk to Hank ( Henry) Lee I seen a pic of some on that really nice boattailed speedster of his.
Craig.

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:22 pm

The Dunn weights are not all the same weight. Per Les’s recommendation, you can’t just bolt them on. You have to take your time and properly install them, then have the crank balanced. That is the top line things do do. The devil is in the details, much more to it.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:28 pm

Les Schubert wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:09 pm
I have run a set of Dunn counter weights very successfully for almost 45 years and MANY thousands of miles on my 27 roadster. I probably spent a week fitting them so they would not distort the crank when the bolts were torqued. And then I had the crank dynamically balanced. I have heard of numerous problems but I suspect that they didn’t spend the time to get the installation right.
Correct installation IS key.
I had good service from a set also. Dunn weights are made to fit the early diamond throw cranks. I machined a set to fit the late crank.
I was told by an old hill climb friend to be sure to get them perfectly physically centered around the crank.
Balance the unit, of course.

Topic author
tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by tmodeldriver » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:26 am

Gentlemen, thanks for your input. I still don't know if I'd ever want to use them but I guess I'll keep 'em around for the time being. The purpose of the weights seems to be to allow the engine to smoothly rev up faster. I don't know if I'd even want to do that. Something to think about. Bob

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:37 am

Bob not trying to dissuade you but I didn’t want you to think you could just bolt them up and go. I’ll ditto the recommendation to contact Hank Lee on how he does it. He’s an excellent teacher & a true craftsman on this type stuff.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:59 am

A properly counterweighted crankshaft will allow a T engine to run much smoother and run at somewhat higher RPM without damage. More power will be available to move the car, and the driveline and the entire car will benefit from the marked reduction in vibration. Personally, I'd be inclined to install one of the new counterbalanced crankshafts, rather than invest in a century-old original crank with unknown hours.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic