Question on Innertube Quality

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Lyndon
First Name: Lyndon
Last Name: Moore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 8
MTFCA Number: 27876
Board Member Since: 2018

Question on Innertube Quality

Post by Lyndon » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 pm

I here so much talk of innertubes not being any count these days. I am getting ready to mount a new set of 450-21, Had already purchased new tubes back in 2015. Opened them up today, and they say, "Made In EEC", but no brand on the tube. Are they worth installing? Give me some opinions.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Question on Innertube Quality

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:21 am

I'm not sure where I got it, but I have one EEC clincher tube. It's OK. I would try them. At seven years old they should still work.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:59 am

EEC is European, not 'Chinese'

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:13 am

Hard to know? Tubes remained folded in plastic bags for seven to ten years? They may be just fine, I would try them. However, first check all around where the tubes have been folded. Sometimes, they will crack in those areas. And once they start? They are probably toast. I had a couple new tubes that got lost in the shop for a similar amount of time. I found a crack, patched it. Then found another, patched it. When I aired it up, I found a couple more, but it still didn't look bad, so I patched a couple more cracks. Within a couple days sitting with just light pressure? It was done-for.
The best way to store tubes is aired up in a tire! I have had tubes probably sixty years old been in a tire the whole time? Still hold air.
Other than folds, three more things that can accelerate tubes failing. UV light, extreme temperatures, and ozone. If kept in a cool dark place? And if there is nothing nearby generating ozone? They may last for years. I suspect the ones I misplaced in my shop? Were behind my antique metal lathe that I used occasionally. It was a cool dark place, but whenever I run that lathe, I can smell the ozone!

Topic author
Lyndon
First Name: Lyndon
Last Name: Moore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 8
MTFCA Number: 27876
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Lyndon » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:53 am

Going thru my stash of parts, that I have just purchased this spring from a local estate. Found some more new tubes. Which have no brand but say made in the USA. But I have no Idea how old they are. But I do not see any dry cracks around stems or creases. So now, what do I do? Use the EEC's or these Made in USA.
WIN_20220630_07_43_48_Pro.jpg
Attachments
WIN_20220630_07_43_36_Pro.jpg

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:01 am

The USA tube in the picture looks OK to use. I would look each one over very carefully before installing. The best practice would be to buy fresh new high quality tubes. Rubber decays over time.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:04 pm

Heart of the Ozarks Antique Auto Parts was in Marshfield Missouri and has not sold new Model T parts in decades. I think I still have one of their catalogs from the early 1990's. I would not be surprised if those tubes are from that vintage.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:40 pm

When I leave old tubes out, they crack @ the folds in no time.(rubber pile) I think the air does em in.

My new & spare tubes get packed in a zip lock bag with a generous coat of talc. Some I carry in each T for road spares.
They have stayed good for over a decade. Some are very old re-patched tubes. No fold cracks or visual deterioration.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:19 pm

EEC represents the European Economic Community. I believe it became widely used to blur the distinction between older western nations like Britain and Germany and the newly emerging eastern European nations from the communist bloc. It may mean that the tubes were manufactured in one of the newer European economies.
I have no idea if this reflects at all on the quality of the item, but it is likely better than the rubbish of the past decade or so.

Allan from own under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic