Does The Model T Need That Hot Air Pipe?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Does The Model T Need That Hot Air Pipe?

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:54 pm

A friend says his Model T never had a Hot Air Pipe, Part Number 4582, so he knows it must not need one.

My opinion is that Henry Ford would never put that part on, if it was not required.

There are usually three different opinions about every part of a Model T, am I wrong on the pipe requirement?

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Re: Does The Model T Need That Hot Air Pipe?

Post by Been Here Before » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:11 pm

Well, it depends on the type of gasoline you use and the weather.

If you use a heaver gasoline with kerosene blend then the Hot Air Pipe is necessary to help vapourize the fuel.

If you follow the literature after 1917, the hot air pipe is a necessity for winter and cool weather. For summer or hot weather it can be removed.

Also in cold weather it acts has a deicing device.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:20 pm

I had my T choke and stop running of a cool moist morning without the hot air pipe. There was visible white frost on the outside and most likely on the inside of the intake manifold. We stopped while it thawed out only to have it repeat the problem several times. The afternoon was warmer and we didn't have that problem. That is the reason they were installed. Some folks like to keep it stored away and installed when the weather requires it. The car may run cooler without it. I just leave it in place now.
Rich
When did I do that?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:12 pm

I have never had need of one in sunny South Australia. It is rare to ever see one at Australian swap meets.

Allan from down under.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:21 pm

I have tried it both ways and my ‘26 coupe operates much better with the hot air pipe. I would assume that the injection of hot air aids in the atomization and combustion of the gasoline. Jim Patrick

Professor Fate
First Name: Dan
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 and '26
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:01 am

My friend limped his '25 roadster to my house and complained the car ran terrible. I told him to go look at his carb and intake. He reported finding it "all wet."
Some model t performance officiando earlier that week told my friend removing the pipe would " give him more power."
Instead the car became an ice maker in 80f and 65% humidity.
I ended up giving him the one off my '26 so we could go touring around and so he could get home later. He lives 1300 ft higher than my place too.
I've experienced carburetor icing in Cessna's a half dozen times. No fun in the air or on the ground... pipe or no pipe?
I vote pipe..... But to each his own. I respect that.

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:32 am

My '17 roadster has a Wilmo manifold and a hot air pipe so it's like the guy who wears suspenders and a belt.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:38 am

This seems to one one of those things where different people with different cars in different places experience different results.

IMG_4610 copy.JPG
Because I drive on country roads a lot, I run an air filter, and therefore no pipe. So far it hasn't given me any trouble.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:50 am

Dry air will not normally cause issues even when it's fairly cool, when using modern gasoline. Air which contains moisture can cause moisture or frost to accumulate in the carburetor and manifold in cool damp weather. This is true of any carbureted vehicle I've ever owned that lacks some type of manifold heating arrangment,and many later vehicles have both manifold heat (hot spot) and some method of heating the intake air. A Model T without the heat pipe installed lacks any kind of manifold heat and any method of heating intake air until the engine begins to circulate hot water. Under some conditions, the heat from the radiator may not be enough to prevent problems. When the engine is operating at light throttle, the carburetor and lower intake manifold are cooled by expansion of air passing through the throttle restriction and also by rapid evaporation of gasoline. The throttle plate area of the carburetor and the lower portion of the intake manifold can quickly become cold enough to freeze moisture in the air and cause frost deposits inside the carburetor throat, and the very cold surfaces inhibit gasoline vaporization. The outside of the lower intake maqnifold may become white with frost. I have heard or read that ethanol gas will prevent carburetor icing. What I have found with a 1972 Ford 360 2V with no operating manifold heat valve or air intake heat is that the carburetor will "freeze up" in cool damp weather running ethanol gas. The problem goes away once the thermostat opens and warms the air under the hood.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:02 am

I run my hot air pipe in the winter and an air filter the rest of the year. I do get condensation on the carb body during drives with the air filter, but so far no ice or other ill effects. :)
Attachments
IMG_1860.jpg
IMG_2898.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

BE_ZERO_BE
First Name: BOB
Last Name: CASCISA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 TOURING
MTFCA Number: 16897
MTFCI Number: 16628

Post by BE_ZERO_BE » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:21 am

I seem to recall from a couple years ago,
a dyno test was done with and without the hot air pipe.
The motor produced two more horsepower without the hot air pipe.
Respectfully Submitted,
Be_Zero_Be

I drive a Model T ... Microseconds don't matter :D

For every Absolute Model T Fact there are at least three exceptions.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:55 am

In a airplane with a carb you have selectable carburetor heat. In 5000 + hours of flying I have very seldom experienced carb icing. When you apply carb heat the RPM drops and the engine loses a small amount of power. The warm air produces a richer mixture.

Back in the day I believe the hot air pipe served mostly to help vaporize the poorer quality fuel of the day. I used to run a hot air pipe but replaced it with an air filter. The result? Never had an engine problem due to icing but did see an increase if fuel mileage. This is in Michigan with temps ranging from 45 to 95 degrees. I carry the heat pipe under my back seat....just in case.

I recently replaced my Holley G with a NH with Scott's full-flow valve. I have yet to drive it (maybe today.) I'll start off with the filter installed and see what happens.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:58 am

The warm air helps vaporize the fuel and prevents icing.

Cool air makes a denser charge.

With the correct combination a bit more power is possible.

Suggest that some invest is a book - The Model T Ford Owner, Fahnestock.

Information on why there is a hot air stove, why gasoline is different, why a bit of water injection improve performance, which carburetor is best for performance and more.

As for cold air induction...still popular to day.

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:04 pm

I'm a believer in delivering filtered air to an engine. I use the spring loaded foam filter available from vendors. I live in humid Alabama. I've seen condensation on the outside of the manifold, but run with no issues. With the filter against the hogs head it may pick up some heat, but I'm not using nor do I plan on using a hot air pipe.
1926 Tudor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic