Much Ado about Screw Heads

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Much Ado about Screw Heads

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:11 pm

Cap screw heads that is. The trouble with cleaning parts hour after hour is that my mind wanders to the land of Oz, Kalamity Dick and questions about how the parts were made and when. Many of the Ford bolts in this batch appear to be from one car and have a round depression in the middle of the head. I have other original Ford bolts without that depression and a few that do. While this may not be an important detail to most, I still wonder what era or plant these might be from. Was the depression part of forming the head of the bolt? Have others noticed bolts like this or know what era they were used?
CapScrews.jpg
I have found cleaning bolts and building drawers for them a pleasant past time. Perhaps studying the differences in the bolt shapes and dimensions is too trivial but these things do cross my mind.
Drawerz.jpg
Rich
When did I do that?

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: Much Ado about Screw Heads

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:28 am

Rich,

Here's my take on it. I believe that when the bolt head was formed, it created a grain flow that, when exposed to corrosion, created a unique pattern on the top face. Even before corrosion, there may have been a slight concavity inherent to the forming process. Extra force may have been exerted in the center area to force material to flow outward, into the forming die. The process is called "cold heading".

Topic author
Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:26 am

That makes sense to me.
Thanks Jerry.
Rich
When did I do that?

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:59 am

Something that an artist with an eye for detail would notice. :) I always enjoy your insightful and interesting posts Rich.

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:41 pm

Thanks John. We certainly go where our curiosity takes us. I sometimes think about studying all the Ford bolts and record where and when they were used and various changes during production. It's doubtful I would stay with it very long but will continue to note interesting observations as I see them.
The the subtle differences in castellated nuts fascinates me. There are a variety of pan to block bolt lengths depending on the requirements. While some of my cars have more noticeable, incorrect features I do take pride in knowing some of the fasteners are correct and original. We all chose to enjoy what we think is important and rationalize other aspects. I feel that knowing what is original is important even if using the correct part isn't possible or practical. Good reproductions are often the choice.
This is fun for now and I will report other details as I find them.
I hope some will enjoy it or help solve the mysteries.
"Those not interested need not apply"
Stan Laurel
When did I do that?

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:52 pm

3-8 boltz.jpg
While the grandkids were in the pool I measured some 3/8-24 High head bolts. These are used to hold the block and transmission cover to the crankcase, front fender brackets, muffler and engine rear brackets to the frame. Also the steering bracket.
The heads height varied from .270 to .307 mostly .281 to .292. and 9/16 hex. An exception is the generator bolts which are .189 thk and 5/8 hex. There may be exceptions in earlier years, I don't know. Lengths from bottom of head to end were 1.34, 1.15, 1.08, .96 and .70 for ones drilled at the end of the shank. Some suppliers sell them in even lengths. I believe the longest of these would be for a 26-27 with the crankcase corner reinforcement brackets. 1.15 used for most block and trans cover to pan locations. As time permits I'll try to nail down the other lengths. The one through the steering bracket and wooden block is about 2 1/4 long and the rear engine mount through the wood block is a bit shorter.
Just for fun
Rich
When did I do that?

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:16 pm

That drawer idea is great. I only wish I had that amount of room. I've been collecting bolts since I was in my teens, so as to have enough for the future.

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:56 pm

I'm sure I have saved as much time looking for bolts as it took to build the 50 or 60 drawers to put them in. I have saved a hundred trips to the hardware store to buy a little screw in a package for $3. Besides I like to work with wood. If I use 1% of the bolts I have sorted out it will have been worth while. All we can do is try.
Speaking of which, can anyone tell me what these 3/8-16 x 2 5/8 bolts would have gone to?
DorA.jpg
Is it a 'D' or an 'A' on the head?
More handy drawers.
Drawrr.jpg
Plus, you can pull out a couple drawers, put a board across them and use it for another work bench. :lol:
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic