Stamped Hassler Spring Data

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Stamped Hassler Spring Data

Post by namdc3 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:53 pm

I am putting out a request for some data on stamped Hassler springs. My hope is that as a collective unit, we can piece together data on stamped springs such that unstamped springs can be identified by measurable aspects such as wire diameter and free height. I have a 39 and a pair of 40 springs (along with a whole bunch of unstamped springs that have long since lost their color-coded painted ends). The stamp is on the side of the bottom coil, about 1/3 of the way around from the end of the wire.

In my mind, wire diameter, free height, and number of active coils would be a good place to start. There are other factors, but I’m hopeful we can keep it simple enough that anyone with calipers could quickly determine a spring part number. A pic or two may be helpful to spot other differences. Of course, this could prove futile if things get more nuanced (or if my request falls on its face). If there is a good enough data set, I’ll put the results in a table and try to help those out with unstamped springs. In my opinion, there has been a lot of poor press on Hasslers due to unmatched springs with each other or to the weight of the vehicle. This, coupled with incorrect installations and worn out arms, has led to many poor experiences. There is a wide range of spring stiffnesses for Hassler springs; single roadster springs on a sedan will lead to unfavorable, tippy results. However, if that’s all you have and you don’t have anything to compare to, it makes it kind of difficult to know.

Also, I don’t have any double systems. If someone could confirm whether the OD of the spring’s base and ID of the spring’s top are the same for singles and doubles, I would appreciate it.
1802BD46-2441-4524-A835-F2CA176E4A4D.png
DC15E322-9AC6-4DE6-A32D-8F66F430C674.png
69F8E54A-273F-4EE6-9242-B9C1358BD19F.jpeg