How to tell if the Bands need attention

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
QGolden
First Name: Quinn
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 51795

How to tell if the Bands need attention

Post by QGolden » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:54 pm

Hello
Looking for some dialogue and input. I’m having a few “anomalies” in my 26T roadster. I’m wondering what are the signs and symptoms of bands needing attention.

Particularly low and reverse.

Thank you in advance.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: How to tell if the Bands need attention

Post by speedytinc » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:00 pm

Look @ the ear ends. This is where most wear happens (driver side most)
Look @ the amount of return spring compression & the amount of low adjuster is still sticking out of the HH.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:08 pm

" How to tell if the Bands need attention"

You will know as soon as the trombone section attacks the percussion section and the flute players all start to cry! :roll: :roll:
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:15 pm

If the pedals are at the floor and the bands are still slipping, tightening is required. Conversely, if not much pedal movement is required to actuate the bands, they could be too tight.
If the band still doesn't tighten even after adjustment, when the pedal is to the floor, the cam could be worn.
Despite being able to adjust some of them from the outside, I always take the cover off and look at their condition before adjusting. The material wears mostly near the ends, and metal to metal contact could occur if sufficiently worn.
Another thing is if the bands are out of round, something which can happen if they are not extracted from the transmission with care - particularly with 26/27 when changed through the hogshead opening. If that happens, there will be a certain spot along the band causing drag and excess wear of the material.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:48 pm

If the cams are worn out or the pedals are bent forward, you will need to tighten the bands too tight in order to stop the drums. But they will still drag on the drums when the pedals are not depressed. So after you tighten the bands, with the parking brake in the neutral position, you should be able to push the car without the engine turning and likewise you should be able to crank the engine without the car moving. Take a good look at the drums and rotate the engine to see if you can detect any cracks. Also look at the color. If it is blue, the bands have been slipping. As you push the pedal, you should be able to see the low pedal shaft moving toward the right as you pass the neutral position. The brake and reverse will move to the left and should start moving after pushing the pedal about 1 inch down and continue to move to the right until you get about 1 1/2 inches above the floorboard when the band is securely clamped around the drum.
Norm

Topic author
QGolden
First Name: Quinn
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 51795

Post by QGolden » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:19 pm

Ok, great information, thank you.

When starting in low speed if the ground is flat or below it will take off at an idle upon pushing the pedal and releasing the handbrake. Actually grabs pretty good. If up hill or coming out of a dip from a parking lot when a little more RPM’s are required there is slippage. If I just get it moving or get up onto the flat road and drop the RPM’s, it grabs and goes good. So I am presuming the low speed band probably needs an adjustment check.

Reverse is a weird animal. It requires a bit more RPM’s, while engaging there is a fair amount of chatter and noise. Once fully engaged it goes good.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:00 pm

QGolden wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:19 pm
Ok, great information, thank you.

When starting in low speed if the ground is flat or below it will take off at an idle upon pushing the pedal and releasing the handbrake. Actually grabs pretty good. If up hill or coming out of a dip from a parking lot when a little more RPM’s are required there is slippage. If I just get it moving or get up onto the flat road and drop the RPM’s, it grabs and goes good. So I am presuming the low speed band probably needs an adjustment check.

Reverse is a weird animal. It requires a bit more RPM’s, while engaging there is a fair amount of chatter and noise. Once fully engaged it goes good.
Yes, it looks like your low band needs adjustment. Don't go hog wild with it though. Try 1 turn of the adjuster and see how much more "pedal" you get. Not enough? Try another turn, or maybe a half turn. A nice, high pedal will not stay that way for long. Also, note how far your adjuster is already screwed in. Usually, when there's only about a 1/4" of threads showing past the locking nut, you're due for a new band lining. As others have stated, remove the inspection cover and have a look inside for a visual inspection of the band ends.

Len
First Name: Len
Last Name: Wilkinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe

Post by Len » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:00 am

My 26 Coupe has been in storage for many years. I just got it and most things seem fine except my reverse gear which slips badly. I removed the cover on the gear box. Visually I cannot see much so I expect the reverse needs tightening. When I turned the nut it moved freely with no resistance so is extremely loose. Now I wonder how much I should tighten and if it will stay tight.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:13 am

The band nut has a detent on one side which correlates to a raised bump on the band washer - if either of those aren't the correct parts & a good spring, the band won't stay in adjustment. Depending on lining material, one should expect full pedal contact an inch or two above the floor board.

Len

Post by Len » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:41 am

Thanks for this. Yes the nuts for reverse and the brake each have the dent. As for the washers, I need to have a closer look. I do remember when I was dealing with bands years ago the washer had a bump. The dent on each of those nuts were upright so seems to imply they may not have moved. I replaced the lining on one of the bands, probably the drive band. I still have a replacement for the brake and presumably the reverse. It will take a while to get everything up to speed again after such a long storage period. Thanks again.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:50 am

Len wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:41 am
Thanks for this. Yes the nuts for reverse and the brake each have the dent. As for the washers, I need to have a closer look. I do remember when I was dealing with bands years ago the washer had a bump. The dent on each of those nuts were upright so seems to imply they may not have moved. I replaced the lining on one of the bands, probably the drive band. I still have a replacement for the brake and presumably the reverse. It will take a while to get everything up to speed again after such a long storage period. Thanks again.
Just having a "bump" isnt enough. The bump must sit in the V of the nut to hold it in place. Much of the time you will have a bent washer or wear on the washer & nut that wont effectively lock the position. When you have the 2 pieces out, rotate the parts together to get a feel for a good lock.
A bent washer or worn notch can be rejuvenated with a dull cold chisel hit on the back side in the V.

Len

Post by Len » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:52 am

Good advice. I appreciate that. I will deal with this. Thanks.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:37 am

Whenever you have the cover off the transmission, be VERY careful not to let anything fall into the gaping maw. It takes lot of helpers to turn the car over and shake out the dropped item. :)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Len

Post by Len » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:56 pm

That would be a crisis.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic