touring in a 1922 centerdoor

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
mike37 cdn
First Name: mike
Last Name: mclean

touring in a 1922 centerdoor

Post by mike37 cdn » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:22 pm

has anyone dun tours in a 22 centerdoor is it a good riding car thanks mike

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: touring in a 1922 centerdoor

Post by aDave » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:33 pm

Mine had a standard rear (no Ruxtell). My Centerdoor was HEAVY - I think that all of them are. Start adding passengers, and you will find that you are the slowest in the tour. RIde was "so-so"...a bit "tippy" though..it is top heavy compared to other models.
Others may have had different experiences.

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:09 pm

My '22 is slow but steady. Once it gets going it's OK but it is in Florida where the highest elevation is the land fill! I have Gabriel Snubbers on mine and they make a big difference on turns. Without them it was like turning in a boat. As bad as T brakes are the extra weight of the Centerdoor makes them almost non existent. Auxiliary brakes are a good add on if you are planning to tour. Surprisingly, even in Florida, with the windows down, the windshield open and the auxiliary cowl vent on mine open the ride is cool as long as you keep moving.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:29 pm

My ‘19 centerdoor is the best touring T of all in my ‘stable’. It wouldn’t be without accessory short 3 leaf springs on all 4 corners. It requires turning front spring perches 180*. And it runs scary fast with Waukesha Ricardo head, straight thru NH and hi volume intake. Maybe the easier to find Hasslers on all 4 corners will do the same ease of cornering, I’ve never had them.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic