Loose axle nuts

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Loose axle nuts

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:20 pm

Recently I've helped a number of our club's new Model T owners with assessing the mechanical condition of their purchases. One common problem we found were rear axles that needed replacement - most damaged by the axle nut not being tight enough. Cracks radiating from the key slot, worn slots, corrosion / damage on the taper, etc., were the most common reasons.

You want the rear axle nuts really tight - I torque them to the max setting on my torque wrench (75 Ft-lbs) then tighten the castle nut to the next slot using a breaker bar and socket. You'd think there was no way that wheel could ever loosen up but drive it a bit and it will. Put a wrench on it again and I guarantee the nut will move a lot easier than you would expect. Tighten it again to the next slot in the nut. Checking it periodically will save your axles. Be sure you put the wheel on the axle without lube - in fact, clean the mating surfaces with a solvent before assembly.

I've attached a photo taken at a friends business where he was getting ready to repair some Model T rear ends in an assembly-line manner. Five of those sets of axles come from cars I was helping on.
IMG_3073.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Re: Loose axle nuts

Post by Erik Barrett » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:42 pm

I rarely have a T come here for repair that has the rear hubs properly tight. Not coincidentally, most rear ends I take apart do not have axles I would use for something I would build for myself or put my name on for someone else. It is imperative you keep these things tight. 75lbs/ft at least. If you can’t get that kind of torque then the threads on the axles, nuts, or both have failed. Your safety is at stake here. If you don’t have to use a hub puller to get the wheels off, you are inviting trouble. It’s that simple. New axles are a hundred bucks and change, and they are nice products. They can be had with a little extra length to compensate for hubs worn by loose nuts, and also give a little more room for installation of accessory brakes, also a good idea.

pron022020
First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Prondzinski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by pron022020 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:57 pm

I like around 100 pounds. Anymore than 125 is unnecessary and can probably strip the axle depending on the threads. No torque values were really given for any of the parts on these cars, judgement was what guided mechanics.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:32 am

I'd say 9 out of 10 that I encounter @ our annual inspection/service events era loose.

I have found it necessary to re-tighten axle nuts a minimum of 3 times unless the hubs/axle tapers are lapped in.
Unlapped tapers have high spots that get worked down & loosen the fit.

& yes, very tight, high torque. The Ford Z tool is around 2' long. I use a 2' breaker bar with a 6 point socket & only use good original nuts, then add a 3' pipe to get to the next cotter pin hole. This assumes a good looking thread on the axle. Re-torque in 50-100 miles. I am much more conservative servicing a customer with shakey threads. That axle needs replacing.

"new" plated nuts are undersized compared to original nuts. Easier to strip a thread.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:10 am

I will quote Dave Stroud in case he does not comment. "Tighten the nut as much as you can. Then tighten some more."

:D

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:24 am

I think the main cause of the problem stems from many years of running too loose. Over time the axle and the inside of the hub become worn and also the keyway gets worn which causes even a tight axle to move a bit from quick starts and stops which eventually wears it down even more.
Norm

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:49 am

…… ……. ……… …….
Last edited by JTT3 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:00 pm

If the axle, key, keyways, and hub bore are on spec and fully-seated, they will stay tight. I would expect new parts, or mixed older parts in good condition, to require several checks and re-tightenings before they become fully seated. It might be a good idea to heat the hub assembly to 200 F or so immediately before assembly and first tightening. I don't think an assembly with oil, rust, or dirt on the axle or hub bore can be expected to stay tight. A poorly-fitted key invites trouble.

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:16 pm

A little more to the story.... our club has been having "T-Parties" where we gather at a members house to do some work on their car and "educate" them. Like I said, we have a number of guys brand new to Model T's. I went to demonstrate a hub puller on a newly-purchased roadster and the wheel came off while I was turning the puller on. The key slot was so wallowed out you could flick the key out with your finger. Rx - new axles. Makes me wonder if a pre-purchase inspection shouldn't involve jacking the rear wheels up and pulling the wheels? Of course, that only tells you about the axles and outer axle seals...nothing about the thrust washers, hyatts, etc.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:57 pm

After reading these threads I decided to get me some peace of mind, so this afternoon I went out and pulled the wire wheels off the rear (they been on about a year) and checked the nuts they were just as tight as when I installed them. Peace O mind attained. Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:13 pm

Years ago, when MTFCI did pre-tour vehicle inspections on their Annual Tour, and when I was involved in those inspections, the "A number 1" thing we found was loose rear hubs! Scary!

The other instance I recall, was noticing that a guy's steering gear box cover had fully unscrewed. I simply reached over, plucked off his steering wheel, handed it to him, and suggested he "tighten that up a bit." Yikes...

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:16 pm

Oldav8tor wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:16 pm
A little more to the story.... our club has been having "T-Parties" where we gather at a members house to do some work on their car and "educate" them. Like I said, we have a number of guys brand new to Model T's. I went to demonstrate a hub puller on a newly-purchased roadster and the wheel came off while I was turning the puller on. The key slot was so wallowed out you could flick the key out with your finger. Rx - new axles. Makes me wonder if a pre-purchase inspection shouldn't involve jacking the rear wheels up and pulling the wheels? Of course, that only tells you about the axles and outer axle seals...nothing about the thrust washers, hyatts, etc.
Its safe to ASUME there will be an issue. But, if you are going to pay a premium price, yes have the seller consent.
Any thing over 6K for a 20's open car. Under 5k mechanical issues are expected.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:15 am

I analyzed clamp load, stress, and torque associated with the rear axle nut using arithmetic and a slide rule My conclusion is that 140 ft lb torque is a safe level. This assumes the axle and nut threads and nut face are clean and dry. Lubrication greatly adds to the clamp load and consequently the stress at the axle thread.

I don't recommend turning the nut to the next key slot unless just a very little turn is necessary. Either select a washer or grind the face of the nut. From slot to slot, the nut location changes about .0095 inches.

Art Mirtes

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:29 pm

speedytinc wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:16 pm
Oldav8tor wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:16 pm
Its safe to ASUME there will be an issue. But, if you are going to pay a premium price, yes have the seller consent.
Any thing over 6K for a 20's open car. Under 5k mechanical issues are expected.
Sure for us that have been around old cars, we know what to look for. People that have NEVER been around them or have not done much mechanical work, have no clue what they are looking at or for. So, it is not safe to assume anything, they would not know what to look for.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866

Post by KeithG » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:09 pm

Note to Tim Juhl: Thank you for posting this important safety check reminder.
Yesterday after reading it, I went right to my workshop and checked my favorite T and sure enough, one needed 1/2 of a turn to reach 90 ft. lbs. and the other side was ok.

Thanks again, Tim

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:46 pm

Thank You Tim.

Checked the Can Crusher TT today. Yep, BOTH were loose. RIght one about 5/8 turn and Left one about 3/8 turn.

Had you not posted, I would have never checked since I thought my late best friend would have torqued them properly. AND, never thought they would/could loosen.

Terry

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:31 am

Excellent reminder Tim! I need to check my own work from 4-5 yrs ago.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:19 pm

I just got back from a great time at the Michigan Jamboree. Prior to going I checked my axle nuts again and they were good this time and didn't require any additional tightening. This was after 600 miles on the MTFCI national tour. Nonetheless, I'll check them at least once a year just to be safe.

I started this thread because I was seeing axle damage on all the cars I worked on and was told by people I respect how this was a common problem on the cars they see. I am new to the hobby but have benefited from the knowledge and help of more experienced T'ers and felt it important to pass such knowledge on. There is so much that is unique to the Model T that we must share it with those new to the hobby and hope they will do the same. It also doesn't hurt to remind long-time T owners of such problems. This forum is a great example of how that sharing of knowledge takes place and I'm glad to do my part.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:15 pm

Cant help myself on this one, one of the issues with rear axle nuts coming loose is the threads are worn out. I found on a model A forum once where a guy had a axle nut come off on a tour. When he tried to tighten the nut he found it would not tighten up. The solution he came up with was to rethread the axle to 9/16 ( same # of threads per inch) and put a 9/16 nut on the new threads. I have found this to be a very good way to save axles that have poor threads but otherwise are good. I only have a couple of thousand miles on the ones I did so I will keep you posted on the results.
Craig.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:00 am

Tim J said
" Cracks radiating from the key slot, worn slots, corrosion / damage on the taper, etc., were the most common reasons."

These things were most likely caused by loose hubs on the axle because the nuts weren't tightened properly in the first place. Once the cycles began, fractures and wear made the nut and hub more loose, and more looseness made the damage worse. From then, one begets the other.

We must remember that model Ts were produced at a time when most adults were raised in an era where such dependence and use of machinery was a new thing! They were not so familiar with "proper procedures" for mechanical assembly. That, coupled with poor roads and resulting lower speeds made the consequences of poor assembly practices less severe. So there was not so much pressure to learn to do thing right! The initial damage to many of our parts began before we were even born! We therefore need to be more vigilant in watching out for these issues.

Thank you Tim J especially, and all as well.

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331

Post by Mopar_man » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:08 pm

What an informative thread. I'm going to go check mine. The rear end was my next project anyway.

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331

Post by Mopar_man » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:19 pm

Well Jesus Take the wheel!!! I looked. No cotter pin and the nut was on finger tight. Good thing I only test drove the car!!!

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115

Post by George House » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:43 am

Yes, informative thread that caused me to check my axle nuts prior to the famous Texas T Party next month. Took the right rear wire wheel off the Tudor and removed cotter pin. Thought I’d slip upon 90 torque pounds and set my torque wrench at 70. Moved one of the castellations over the cotter hole. Set at 80 and axle nut didn’t move. Set at 90 and the nut didn’t move. Question: Can I now back off to install cotter pin between original 2 castellations ?
Many thanks 😁
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:19 am

I would advance the nut to the next slot. If you are in doubt as to the integrity of the threads, remove the nut and take about .005" off the face, or use a machine washer under the nut and face the washer if necessary.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115

Post by George House » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:21 pm

Nut wouldn’t budge to the next slot. Researched old Forums and read Jerry Van O advised ‘face off’ nut on 320 wet/dry so I did. Only took 5-6 passes and nut lined up with cotter hole at 90 fp torque. Ford only used 18”-24” iron box end to tighten. No torque wrench. Read where some torque as little as 70; others torque 240.. wow!
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:22 pm

Once read in a manual that you should tighten the nut sufficiently tight to prevent it from coming loose. What more info do you need. ;)
Craig.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:48 pm

70 is recommended by wheelwrights looking to make new wheels to replace lost ones; 240 is recommended by mechanics who need the work.

an 18" breaker bar pulled tight and then to the next notch for the cotter pin is sufficient. Recheck in 20 miles and you're golden

I own one of the factory wrenches that tightened this nut in the factory...I'm not looking at it, but bet it isn't even 20" long, AND the box end is still in great shape.

The TT rear axle wrench is a beast but that is a whole different thread for another day
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

pron022020
First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Prondzinski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe

Post by pron022020 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:55 pm

I said before and I say it again - 90 to 100 pounds is more than sufficient. Most problems happen when people don't check back on them after the hub settles on the taper.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:06 pm

Re: "Most problems happen when people don't check back on them after the hub settles on the taper."

This bears repeating.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic