Bosch distributor cap project

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom VanMeeteren
First Name: Tom
Last Name: VanMeeteren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 1923 touring

Bosch distributor cap project

Post by Tom VanMeeteren » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:06 am

Noticed that someone is looking for a distributor cap to fit the Bosch Type 600 on the parts forum. These caps have been hard to find in good condition for some time now. I have a nice NOS one that I have been holding back to be used as a pattern for reproducing them at some point in time. There is a company that I have contacted that will reproduce these caps if there is enough interest. To make it economically feasible at least 25 of them will need to be reproduced. This company has been in the distributor cap and rotor business for a long time and has a good reputation. If there is enough initial interest, I will contact them and get some prices. Please contact me if you are interested.

Mark Chaffin
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Chaffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Speedster, 1927 Lake Roadster
MTFCA Number: 31705
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Bosch distributor cap project

Post by Mark Chaffin » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:15 am

You may want to also consider selling them wholesale to the dealers. I'm sure there would be interest and you could likely get a quantity discount from the manufacturer. Win win for everyone!

Bryant
First Name: bryant
Last Name: shafer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 tudor
MTFCA Number: 51736
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Bryant » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:11 pm

Iam interested. The price will determine how many I would be good for. Let me know when you know more! Thanks
Bryant
“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t-you’re right.”

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:21 pm

Also interested for 1 or maybe more.

modeltspaz
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Spaziano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 21699

Post by modeltspaz » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 pm

Another thing that you may want to consider is the fact that other makes of cars might use that same distributor cap.
While other applications for that cap may be on some rare or orphan brands of cars, it would still open up a slightly larger market for reproduction caps.
If you have a really nice vintage car with a broken distributor cap that's made from unobtanium, you've got yourself a perpetual garage queen. This project might just make some guys really happy out there in vintage car land.
Knowledge that isn't shared, is wasted knowledge.

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:58 am

modeltspaz wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 pm
Another thing that you may want to consider is the fact that other makes of cars might use that same distributor cap.
While other applications for that cap may be on some rare or orphan brands of cars, it would still open up a slightly larger market for reproduction caps.
If you have a really nice vintage car with a broken distributor cap that's made from unobtanium, you've got yourself a perpetual garage queen. This project might just make some guys really happy out there in vintage car land.
I believe Essex and maybe Hudsons used the same cap.
Last edited by Jerry VanOoteghem on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Crosby
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Crosby
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring, 1920 Coupe, 1926 RPU, 1927 RPU, 25 speedster project
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Bill Crosby » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:11 pm

Tom, I would be interested in a few If the price was reasonable.

Bryant

Post by Bryant » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:14 am

Tom VanMeeteren wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:06 am
Noticed that someone is looking for a distributor cap to fit the Bosch Type 600 on the parts forum. These caps have been hard to find in good condition for some time now. I have a nice NOS one that I have been holding back to be used as a pattern for reproducing them at some point in time. There is a company that I have contacted that will reproduce these caps if there is enough interest. To make it economically feasible at least 25 of them will need to be reproduced. This company has been in the distributor cap and rotor business for a long time and has a good reputation. If there is enough initial interest, I will contact them and get some prices. Please contact me if you are interested.
worthy of a bump
I’ve been trying to research companies that would do this but have come up with none. Still interested in knowing the approximate price per cap and even the company name that would do the job.
Bryant

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:56 pm

Bryant wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:14 am
Tom VanMeeteren wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:06 am
worthy of a bump
I’ve been trying to research companies that would do this but have come up with none. Still interested in knowing the approximate price per cap and even the company name that would do the job.
Bryant
There are new distributor caps being made for 1920's Buicks. Would be interesting to know who makes those.

https://bobsautomobilia.com/product-cat ... tor-parts/

Topic author
Tom VanMeeteren
First Name: Tom
Last Name: VanMeeteren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 1923 touring

Post by Tom VanMeeteren » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:29 pm

Jerry, not enough interest in reproducing the Bosch caps at this time. Obviously, cost will be determined by the number that are made. On another note, the "Buick 6" caps that you mentioned are made in Germany, they are and extremely high quality cap, made of Bakelite with brass contacts. I have the exclusive rights to sell them here in the states and Australia. They have already made the 4 cylinder cap for the early Delco units and I have sold a number of them with good feedback. One time production run of 100 units on the 4 cylinder caps with a cost of $500 per each. I have another source for the Bosch caps and anticipate a cost of $200 to $250 per unit.

Bryant

Post by Bryant » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:35 pm

Tom VanMeeteren wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:29 pm
Jerry, not enough interest in reproducing the Bosch caps at this time. Obviously, cost will be determined by the number that are made. On another note, the "Buick 6" caps that you mentioned are made in Germany, they are and extremely high quality cap, made of Bakelite with brass contacts. I have the exclusive rights to sell them here in the states and Australia. They have already made the 4 cylinder cap for the early Delco units and I have sold a number of them with good feedback. One time production run of 100 units on the 4 cylinder caps with a cost of $500 per each. I have another source for the Bosch caps and anticipate a cost of $200 to $250 per unit.
$200-$250. is that for a minimum of 100 caps? would the price go down if the minimum went up?
you have to PAY to PLAY gentleman! :lol:
Bryant

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic