Installation of Felt Channels for Door Glass

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BLB27
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Brakke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 coupe
MTFCA Number: 31192

Installation of Felt Channels for Door Glass

Post by BLB27 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:24 am

I am replacing the felt channels for my 1927 coupe door glass, and it appears this is going to be very, very difficult.

The felt channel is attached to metal channel by a clip at the bottom and a clip at the top. These are shown in the third photo. The top clip is on the left. The metal channel has a round hole and a slot near the bottom which is shown in the fourth photo.

I will "try" to describe how the felt channel is installed.

The felt channel is inserted into the metal channel with the head of the bottom clip aligned with the hole. The felt channel is then pulled up so that the tip of "hook" on top clip is above the top of the metal channel. The felt channel is then pulled down so that the "hook" engages the top of the metal channel.

My problem is, I can not move the felt channel once it is inserted into the metal channel.

I have been told that the metal channel, in 1925 cars and earlier, is 9/16" wide and that, in 1926/27 cars, it is 5/8" wide. It is hard to measure, but mine appears to be 5/8" wide.

The last photo shows the retro felt channel next to the original. They appear to be the same width. The retro has a metal piece embedded in it, which makes the cross section ridge compared to the original.

I have not yet lubricated the channel to determine if that will allow it to move.

Comments/suggestions.

The silver clip in the third photo is what suppliers provide to replace the originals. It will work as top clip but as the bottom clip because the head will not fit into the slot.
Attachments
20220805_131439.jpg
20220805_131109.jpg
20220726_165133.jpg
20220726_133711.jpg
20220816_145653.jpg

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Installation of Felt Channels for Door Glass

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:39 pm

I forgot how I installed mine on my ‘26 coupe 50 years ago, but I do not remember having any difficulty. Do not install the felt channels yet. First, try Installing the window mechanism and window and then, roll the window all the way down and slide the right and left felt channels onto each edge of the glass and slide the felt channels all the way down, and connect the channel clips at the top, then raise the window and connect the right and left channel clips at the bottom. If others with 1926-‘27 closed body styles have done it a different way, please share your experience. Jim Patrick

PS. Can’t you use all of your original clips instead of using the new ones? If not, You can probably cut and re-shape the new clip using a Dremel tool with a thin metal cutting disc.

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Re: Installation of Felt Channels for Door Glass

Post by John.Zibell » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:39 pm

The way I did my 26 Tudor windows was to attache the felt channel at the bottom and not connect the top. Then insert the glass into the channels and slide it down to the window regulator. Then pull up the felt channel and attach the top segment.
1926 Tudor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic