Hi Volume outside oil line info needed.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rob Patterson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Canadian built Aust'n Bodied (Steenbohms) Touring & '15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2003

Hi Volume outside oil line info needed.

Post by Rob Patterson » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:58 am

Hi,
I have one of Texas T Parts Hi Volume outside oil lines installed in my Speedster. I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago, and the chap who built the engine installed it. Unfortunately its leaking like a sieve from the Hogs-head gasket. Because I'm loath to removing the hogs-head unless absolutely necessary, my idea to stop the leak is to slacken off the Allen headed bolts, loosen the aluminium cap and
squeeze/inject some sort of sealant between the gasket and the hogs-head and then re tighten the thing.
BUT....
Ben Hardiman (Texas T Parts) changed the kit. The earlier ones had slotted screws in the top and spring washers with nuts, holding up a pressed steel scoop on the inside.
The later ones had Allen headed screws with star washes on the outside and only a cast aluminium scoop (with threaded holes) on the inside.
Obviously, I don't want to go dropping anything into the gearbox and I hope that the indications that mine has the aluminium scoop, are correct. However, the instructions that came with the thing indicate it has nuts, spring washers and slotted screws.....but as I said at the beginning, it has 6 Allen headed screws in it.
My question is.....
Could there have been a change over period where he supplied Allen head screws with the pressed steel scoop?
Alternatively, could someone supply me with Ben's contact details please?
Cheers,
Rob
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." HENRY FORD

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Hi Volume outside oil line info needed.

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:26 am

How about using a dental mirror and torch to take a look see. I would have to look to see if I can see mine on the inside. I have an early version before TT started making them, without the scoop. (It get more then enough without it)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:55 am

Problem with most of these installations is that the vendors provide instructions to have some of the parts inside the hogshead. In my opinion the best way to do them is to first find where the oil slings heaviest and center the outside piece over that area, then drill the hogshead for oil and the four screws drilled and tapped. An inside scoop is nice but not necessary if the oil hole is drilled in the right place and putting anything inside the hogshead that can loosen, fall off or strip is not good. Dr. Terry H. invented this trick and wrote and extensive analysis about it years ago.

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:50 am

Clean the area well. Then use copious a mounts of 2 part epoxy all over. Ugly, but works and no need for disassembly.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:12 am

Or, you can clean the area several times with spray-on brake cleaner, Wire brush, and re-spray, several times. Wipe residue off with lacquer thinner, allow to dry, and then apply a fillet of Ultra Black RTV around the fitting. Since it has a pretty significant thickness, the bead will be of sufficient size that it will have plenty of area to grip both the fitting and hog's head. Apply enough that you have to work it firmly with your finger into a fillet and it will be pushed into the roughness of both parts and should have good adhesion. Cleanliness is the key.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Rob Patterson
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Patterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Canadian built Aust'n Bodied (Steenbohms) Touring & '15 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Rob Patterson » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:09 pm

Mark, Tom & Scott,
Thank you for your constructive suggestions and advice.
I have had a look inside and I can just see between the ring gear teeth that the scoop is in fact aluminium.
I appreciate the differing remedies and will try one method of fixing the problem and if it doesn't work I'll try the other and so on.
If they all fail, then off with its (hogs) head....
Thanks again,
Rob
"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." HENRY FORD

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:16 am

Scots suggestion about using some Ultra Black is best. Do get the surface clean and oil free. No need to chance a lost nut inside.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:27 am

Rob, I just started installing one of these vendor supplied fittings tonight on a alum HH that's going on a 26/27 car. Here's some thoughts from what I have found on this unit.

There have been a few modifications to this device since the amazing Terry Horlick researched oil flows inside the Model T hogshead.

I thought of your leaking when I started working on this one. I discovered the mounting screw heads are too big to tighten down into the counterbore on the external part! If the screw heads are not turned down and made to fit it's possible someone might think the little 10X32 screws are tight when they are simply not pulling down into the recess. This would surely allow the part to become loose and leak easily. Not sure about the one you have but this one screws into a threaded plate on the inside with no nut or anything to come loose.

You had better take a mirror and check yours and check the heads of your screws to make sure there tightened down properly.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic