Original Truckford one ton conversion.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Original Truckford one ton conversion.

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:50 pm

I came across this video yesterday showing the conversion of a standard Model T to a one ton truck using the Truckford conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnRKsHXPEDw
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Gene_French
First Name: Gene
Last Name: French
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pkup.
MTFCA Number: 15614
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: Original Truckford one ton conversion.

Post by Gene_French » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:30 am

thanks for posting this video ... i have a Truckford chassis that i had been unable to identify ... this is a later version apparently since it has a 1927 chassis as the Ford portion ... it is shaft drive rear axel instead of chain drive ...the rear axel looks very similar to the rear axel used by International Harvester in the mid to late 20's ... the engine and trans unit were inplace when i purchased from Martin Supply and salvage about 12 years ago ... it was thought to be an old Mountian school bus , it had been in the salvage yard since the early 1950's ...i am adding photos ...also if anyone is interested in this unit it is available and is cheap ... i want it gone ,since i only purchased for the engine / trans. ...always an optimist Gene French 970-581-2808
truckford.jpg
truckford1.jpg
truckford2.jpg

Gene_French

Post by Gene_French » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:39 pm

Have heard from 2 forum members that had seen this conversion before ... must not have been too uncommon ... this is the first i have seen ... by the looks of the rear axel and spring set this appears to be heavier than 1 ton ... probably 1 1/2 ton ... is a very stout and well built frame addition ... there are no components in place regarding the shaft drive ... not sure how they adapted the normally closed drive to what appears to be a open drive shaft configuration ... when i purchased this unit , the engine/trans. and hogshead were standard Ford components , no special features at the trans. ball cap ... also no drive shaft inplace or near by ...another mystery ...always an optimist ...Gene French

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:20 pm

Here is a similar conversion this one is an "Olson" Ford recommended Olson for such conversions and included their brochure in their sales booklets.
There were several sizes. the drive shaft extension is also shown in this page.
Attachments
Olson 05453.jpg

Gene_French

Post by Gene_French » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:17 pm

Peter:
thanks for posting this info ... i will take a closer look at the T frame to see if there is any evidence of a similar cross member ... there is no cross member inplace currently ... must have been something similar in the past for this unit to be functional with the open drive rear axel ... all seems to be very well built and designed for heavy use ... looks like some original T components were used in the fabrication that is illustrated ... looks like a T ball cap is used as a rear shaft bearing ... should be fairly easy to build a similar cross member and stub drive shaft ... always an optimist Gene French

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:40 pm

What a great video. I wonder if my Maxwell conversion was a Truckford. The rear of the frame is very similar in construction.
Truckford.jpg
Other conversions mention for Chevrolet, Maxwell and others.
Truckford is very illusive but I did find this FWIW. Not sure what to make of it.
Rich
Hagley.jpg
And this:
TruckfordA.jpg
When did I do that?

TractorGlenn
First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Heim

Post by TractorGlenn » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:24 am

For Gene. What type of rear end is under your truck unit? A Torbenson, Russell or some other brand? Glenn

TractorGlenn
First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Heim

Post by TractorGlenn » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:44 am

For Rich. Your truck unit may be a Maxfer. Maxfer developed the "Bell" style hub which saved buyers of conversion kits the added time and expense of having to remove the backing plates from the T axle tubes. Some smaller companies copied the idea. The best way to identify most any kit is by comparing the axle radius arms and chain tension adjusters. If you would post some pictures especially the other side, I should be able to identify your manufacturer. Glenn

Angmar
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Bailey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 50335
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Angmar » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:01 am

Gene, thanks for posting this. I would like to see more photos of that unit if you still have it.

thanks.
Still crankin old iron

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:59 pm

Thanks Glenn. I had forgotten Maxfer. I think it was discussed sometime back. It is a better match to what I have.
Maxfer.jpg
When did I do that?

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:14 am

Gene French,
Here is some more information for you, there was a post a few years back and photo's of a similar conversion I will load up some of the photo's.
There was also a similar design for a car chassis to increase the wheelbase. The kit supplied all the extra bits to do so.
Attachments
IMG_1174.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG
790760.jpg

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:50 am

My Kalamazoo truck frame had a 2 foot drive line extentions easily modified for auxs trans
Neat conversion
The drive tube extention had a squared saft and collars that slipped on to run in bearings
Adding 2 feet+ to a TT mske big truck

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic