Rear brake shoe side rubbing on drum

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JohnSaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster

Rear brake shoe side rubbing on drum

Post by JohnSaylor » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:57 pm

Hey all,

Had to make a new account as I haven’t posted since mtfca switched to the new forum. Anyways, I am having trouble with my left parking brake shoe (stock brakes, no RMBs or anything) rubbing on the drum and making a nasty intermittent squeak (video here: https://twitter.com/horselessage/status ... vulVw-zCbQ). There is an obvious wear mark on the side of the shoe about 1” from the oval actuator thingy. As you can see there is also a fair amount of daylight between the shoe and the end of the axle fairing: [image] https://i.postimg.cc/GhsJL8BV/81-CD2-DA ... 0-DFA3.jpg [/image] although the other side (which doesn’t squeak) was hardly flush either. I took the shoe off and it does not appear to be obviously warped, and the oval actuator thingy likewise does not have any obvious wear that would keep the shoe from fitting properly against the end of the axle.

Suffice to say I’m struggling to identify the issue. The spot on the axle housing where the mounting bolt goes seems like it might be a bit crooked (well it’s definitely crooked - but is it crooked in a way that would make the bottom shoe jut out?) but it’s hard to tell: Image

Does anyone have any solutions? I could shim the wheel on the taper to take it a bit further away from the drum, but (correct me if I’m wrong) I think the wheel needs to be pressed up against the axle bearing dust cap, right? My other idea was just to grind down the edge of the brake shoe until it stopped squeaking - after all, it’s just a parking brake right?

Thanks

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Rear brake shoe side rubbing on drum

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:32 pm

Use your grinder or file to fit. Most all T's show daylight between the drum and backing plate, adding a shim would only make for more daylight. ;)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Moxie26 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:37 pm

Grab the axle shaft, push in and pull out , if there's any significant play , the thrust washers are worn.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:54 pm

things could cause this:
1. Worn thrust washers causing axles to move from side to side, however, most likely on the right side, because the ring gear would help to hold things in place and it would move out on that side.
2. Worn disk in differential between the ends of the two axle shafts. That could cause the axle to move inward and drag on drum.
3. Worn axle shaft taper and taper inside the drum. This would cause the drum to be pulled farther in toward the brake shoes. Or if you have rocky mountain brakes and the brake drums are bolted inside the rock mountain drum, it would take either a longer axle shaft or a shim at the end of the axle inside the taper to push the hub farther on the axle.
4. Shoes are moving outward by being warped or the lining is too wide.
Norm

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:14 pm

Hopefully not the thrust washers as I rebuilt the rear diff like 6 or 7 years ago and put in nice bronze ones.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:31 pm

Hi John,
Have you looked at the return springs? That sounds uncannily like something is scraping the springs like the nuts on the wheel. If not the springs the harmonic tone sounds like some thing vibrating. Maybe the nuts are loose & the drum is vibrating or even cracked? I just don't remember ever hearing a sound like that coming from anything that turns that freely. Hope you find it.
Craig.

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:07 am

Before resorting to a shim, I would swap things around.

1) swap the brake shoes - left to right, right to left

or

2) swap the rear wheels - left to right, right to left

or

3) swap both the brake shoes AND the rear wheels

If none of the above cure the problem, then grind down the edge of the brake shoe that faces the rear axle housing backing plate.

The poorly designed two-piece lined break shoes that the vendors use to sell would flare out away from the actuator instead of remaining parallel to and resting against the backing plates. I solved that problem by installing a large diameter washer between the brake shoe bolt and the brake shoe. Don't know of that trick works for the single piece brake shoes like you have.

Otherwise - try a pair of NOS factory issue unlined brake shoes.

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:09 am

One additional thing. If the shaft is loose in the drum, You need to replace and sleeve. Sometimes when the clevis pulls against the lever, it will tilt the cam to one side causing the shoe to shift. But usually that would only happen when you apply the brakes, not while the wheel is spinning freely.
Norm

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:41 am

Thanks all - I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Norman, which shaft are you referring to? The shaft between the cam & lever that runs thru the axle housing?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:40 am

It could be as simple s the retaining springs being fitted the wrong way around.They need to be fitted with the open end of the hook facing outwards. This will align the straight portion of the spring to the backing plate side, pulling the shoes towards the backing plate rather than away from it.

Hope this is the case, for an easy resolution.
Allan from down under.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:28 am

Allan wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:40 am
It could be as simple s the retaining springs being fitted the wrong way around.They need to be fitted with the open end of the hook facing outwards. This will align the straight portion of the spring to the backing plate side, pulling the shoes towards the backing plate rather than away from it.

Hope this is the case, for an easy resolution.
Allan from down under.
This is one of my thoughts also.

Secondly, the shoe pivot bolt appears to be a little too tight. Try backing it off.
Thirdly, these repop shoes take a lot of fitting. A little grinding here & there may be necessary to get the shoes to fit against the backing plate after dealing with the springs & anchor bolt. Good luck.

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:58 am

Oh! Well my hooks are definitely facing inward…

richc
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Chillingworth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C-Cab TT
MTFCA Number: 30527
MTFCI Number: 23207

Post by richc » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:34 am

Have you tried backing off the brake shoe support bolt a bit so it isn't pulling the shoe towards the axle backing plate? It might help the alignment of the shoes.

Rich C.

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:35 am

Yes, between the lever and the cam where it goes through the backing plate. The shaft should be free to turn, but not to wobble back and forth.

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:10 pm

Re the spring hooks, they are a fully circular hook design (that is, the spring looks perfectly centered no matter which way the hook is facing). I did try backing the bolt off a bit without obvious improvement. Gonna try different combos of wheel/brake shoe to see if that makes a difference

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:29 pm

JohnSaylor wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:10 pm
Re the spring hooks, they are a fully circular hook design (that is, the spring looks perfectly centered no matter which way the hook is facing). I did try backing the bolt off a bit without obvious improvement. Gonna try different combos of wheel/brake shoe to see if that makes a difference
The springs will pull the shoes & it matters how they are placed. If I remember correctly, the springs on the front sides of the shoes causes the shoes to want to move away from the backing plate. The springs on the back side tend to pull the shoe edges toward the backing plates.
Try them in different positions for the differences.

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:57 pm

So… with a bit of mix n match, I found a combo that did not squeak on the left side:

Left wheel + right brake shoe + left mounting bolt (for some reason I have a 3/4 bolt on the left side and a 5/8 bolt on the right… the big bolt drags on the right wheel hub but not the left) Image Image

The right wheel now has a slight rub against the topside shoe where it meets the cam, but it’s only metal (no brake material) so I feel pretty comfortable just grinding it down.

Two questions before I do that & wrap stuff up:

1. There’s a small amount of grease that’s got it’s way behind the dust caps on each axle and have coated the tapers. Should I wipe that off completely? In theory the hubs supposed to be completely fixed on the taper, so no point in having any kind of grease/oil film on there, right?

2. The one-piece shoes I have are slightly narrower at one part of the cam end: for the shoe I took off the left side, the end that rides on the top of the cam is 0.9” while the end that rides below the cam is 1.0” - the right side shoe looks similar. Since I’ve switched the right and left shoes, the fat end is now on top - there’s no clearance issue, but I’m wondering if this is going to affect parking brake performance. I imagine that putting the fatter end on the bottom gives you better braking performance rolling forwards, right? Because the side that expands against the direction of rotation will have more bite? Then again, these are just parking brakes…

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:07 pm

The small headed 1/2" bolt is correct/original. The 3/4" headed bolt is a hardware store replacement. The head is thicker also.
Grind/machine the head to match the original bolt. That bolt is sized smaller for a reason as you may be discovering.

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:11 pm

Never mind, the actual brake pad material is 0.9” wide at both ends - only the shoe is different widths. Unless someone thinks otherwise I imagine it won’t matter going upside down.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:11 pm

John K

from my experience, you are right, and it's valid advice. Whether or not anyone cares or pays any attention to that advice remains to be seen.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:12 pm

speedytinc wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:07 pm
The small headed 1/2" bolt is correct/original. The 3/4" headed bolt is a hardware store replacement. The head is thicker also.
Grind/machine the head to match the original bolt. That bolt is sized smaller for a reason as you may be discovering.
Well as I said the head doesn’t rub at all on the left wheel so I’m inclined to leave it be. This is hardly a concours car.

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:10 am

When I looked back at the photo to check the gap, I noticed something else. You might check how straight the backing plate is with a straight edge. If it is bent, and it looks like it could be, the pivot bolt .ay not be square to the backing plate. Another check, by winding the pivot bolt out with the shoe in place, does it flock the shoe against the backing plate? This will tell you if the pivot bolt is bent.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:59 am

Sorry, just double checking - should the rear axle taper have any grease on it at all when I put the rear wheel back on?

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:02 pm

No grease, oil or never-seize - bone dry !

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:04 pm

No grease on the taper, none zip nada. :)

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:17 pm

Follow up question - for the one-piece shoes, are the springs even necessary? Seems like the steel shoe has enough flex?

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:43 pm

The spring closest to the cam is necessary for the shoes to return. The spring closest to the pivot is necessary to hold the shoes in place WHEN the shoe breaks @ the pivot point.

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:46 pm

Ok. I am having a problem with the front return spring not having enough clearance against the nuts holding on the wishbone. The spring loops are rubbing on the nut and pushing the shoe sideways into the drum

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:56 pm

JohnSaylor wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:46 pm
Ok. I am having a problem with the front return spring not having enough clearance against the nuts holding on the wishbone. The spring loops are rubbing on the nut and pushing the shoe sideways into the drum
There are no nuts inside, under the shoes, holding the RADIUS rods on the inside. The CASTLE nuts go outside, a top the radius rods.
Welcome to the dance to get these repop lined shoes to fit.

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:24 am

I believe the shoes are made in one piece because it makes it far easier to line/machine/drill them during manufacture. Henry's originals were cast in on piece also, and also had provision for two springs. The one on the cam side keeps the shoes firm on the cam. The other does nothing, so why is it there?
An earlier responder mentioned it holds the shoes when they break at the pivot bolt. That's fine if that is where the break occurs. I cut them almost in two at the pivot point, so when they do break, it happens where you want it to. Then the second spring does its job. I would like to know if this was recommended for original shoes back in the days. I have seen many originals broken in all sorts of places, especially once they were worn and had to flex more to work
Allan from down under.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:27 pm

Ford Service Bulletin gives some good info on setting brake shoes to the backing plate, Oct ‘19 , para # 259, “run the bolt through the flange, … when bolt is tight, add the lock nut and cotter, then back the bolt off 1/8 to 1/4 turn”. This helps to give the shoe a bit of wiggle so it can spread open for engaging the drum.

As for ‘dry fit’ of the hub on the axle shaft taper, my experience is that increases difficulty in removing a rear wheel. Sure a dry fit of a morse taper chuck in the drill press is proper, but if the axle shaft is new, and a good hub, and the key fits tight, the grasp on a lightly lubed shaft gives good results.

For the taper shaft, I apply a tiny smear of grease, extremely small amount, on the surface and then install the hub. Likely a tiny bit of anti-seize would do also.

Others can disagree, that’s ok, lots of ways to maintaining the T. Service Bulletin does state to use a bit of grease. ;)

892AED3D-8D94-4683-A572-5FBD3C97D0A7.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:28 pm

Sure maybe that was written when cars were new and axles were to be had at most any dealer, re grease on the taper. It is still like a Morris taper, just with a key, dry (stirred not shaken :) ).

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
JohnSaylor

Post by JohnSaylor » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:45 pm

Apologies for reviving this thread from the graveyard … unfortunately my de-squeaking didn’t survive contact with the asphalt and after a 5 mile drive this weekend the squeak has returned. I have a new theory for the culprit - as I mentioned earlier and others have pointed out, the backing plate is not very straight. Specifically, where the retainer bolt attaches to the plate the surfaces on either side are pitched inwards (towards diff) slightly at the top and outwards at the bottom. So when I fully tighten the bolt it squeezes the bottom part of the shoe outwards- more importantly, even when I back the bolt off, when I tighten it up with the lock nut it tilts the bolt ever so slightly upwards (there’s a little slop in the threads, unsurprisingly) causing the bottom to poke out again.

I made a little wedge shim out of a washer to sit between the fairing and the shoe, and that now allows the bolt to tighten all the way without bending the bottom of the shoe outwards. However the surface the nut goes on is still slanted, so with the nut locked tight it squeezes the bolt upwards again. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s room for another shim - I can already only barely get a cotter key through it.

I want to ream, grind or sand down the outside of the axle fairing until I get it flush with where the nut needs to snug up. Anyone have a suggestion for a tool that would do this better than my little dremel’s cone grinding bit? Thanks

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:12 pm

The bolt must be straight. The backing plate must be straight also, so the bolt hole is square to the backing plate. The backing plates will take bending to correct any deformity. You might need a couple of large crescent wrenches to manipulate the backing plate into shape.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic