Model T Drivers Education

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Model T Drivers Education

Post by Been Here Before » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:37 pm

Just a mindless suggestion. Certainly someone from the forum will have their car at the Hershey meet during the week. Maybe just maybe the owner(s) may have the time and patience to give lessons for those new Forum members who are still not certain as to how to operate the Model T they just purchased. Even show how to make adjustments to the linkages to make life easier for he new T owner.

Maybe even a small fee to be donated to the museum?

Consider: teaching the skills required to drive any of the 15 million Ford Model Ts built between 1908 and 1927 :

Use of spark and throttle control levers
Coordination of hand and foot controls
Proper shifting techniques
Stopping the vehicle
Correct use of the Neutral / Brake lever
Reversing the vehicle

Just a suggestion.

Atomic Amish
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Kuczynski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915ish speedster in parts, building a T V8 roadster pickup for support vehicle
Board Member Since: 2003

Re: Model T Drivers Education

Post by Atomic Amish » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:24 pm

The Gilmore in Hickory Corners, MI offers this. I know because I is a graduate of it. :)

A very helpful suggestion, for sure, for people who are interested in owning and driving a T. I'm still in the interested part... the car is in pieces in the garage.

v/r,

jason
My other car is an Amish Drag Buggy.
Barnstormers VSC
Si vestri 'non prius novissimo
Celeritate Est Vita
Antique Vehicle Mechanic- Greenfield Village

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:49 pm

Apparently there's some controversy over that. I use the hand brake to help out the foot brake, but some people say I shouldn't. I don't know why.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:43 pm

Some people start the car in neutral and then put the handbrake to the floor as they hold in the clutch, and then start using the pedals.
Others do not put the handbrake forward until the car is moving in low., and they shift to high.

I personally do not use the handbrake once it is forward until I park the car, and just drive using the clutch and the brake.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:18 pm

To Been Here Before, There will be some Model T's at the MTFCA site at Hershey, but that really is not a good place to learn to drive one due to the congestion, etc. As said above, The Gilmore Museum offers Model T Driving classes throughout the summer. Classes are also offered on select dates at the AACA Museum in Hershey, but if I'm not mistaken, they are not offered during Hershey week.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:20 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:49 pm

Apparently there's some controversy over that. I use the hand brake to help out the foot brake, but some people say I shouldn't. I don't know why.
The "hand brake" was designed to be the parking brake like it is on modern cars. Having said that there is a difference in brake shoes:
The original design was a bare cast iron shoe against a small steel drum. That alone should define its usefulness. They now sell ones with a heavy lining for small drums - making them a bit more useful as an assist to braking. The '26-'27 large drum was lined originally and the large drum provides more braking than the smaller drum with lined shoes. So some of the preferences expressed are often out of context to what bake design it is applicable to. In any case none of these variations are consider for use alone without the transmission brake. Calling any of these variations an "emergency brake" is applicable in the context of a panic stop.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:30 pm

They now sell ones with a heavy lining for small drums - making them a bit more useful as an assist to braking.
Yes, that's why I use the hand brake to assist. I'd rather wear out those linings than the one in the transmission. Easier to replace. One objection was that the hand brake puts the car in neutral. But you have to be in neutral to stop without killing the engine. I don't see anything wrong with applying the hand brake after you've done your engine braking. But I don't use the low pedal for neutral either. I'm just bad. :)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:05 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:30 pm
They now sell ones with a heavy lining for small drums - making them a bit more useful as an assist to braking.
Yes, that's why I use the hand brake to assist. I'd rather wear out those linings than the one in the transmission. Easier to replace. One objection was that the hand brake puts the car in neutral. But you have to be in neutral to stop without killing the engine. I don't see anything wrong with applying the hand brake after you've done your engine braking. But I don't use the low pedal for neutral either. I'm just bad. :)
As I tried to point out, many of the arguments lack a context of use. You have provided an good procedure, with pros & cons, for which type of small drum brake you are using to stop. No doubt others use different effective techniques as well and that is what Driving Education should be about.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:29 am

I see no problem with using lined rear brakes for intermittent auxilliary braking. You'd want all linkage and ratchet mechanisms to be in good condition and well adjusted to avoid brake lock problems. Having the brake linkage adjusted correctly will share the limited braking effect equally between the two brakes and rear tires. The T rear brakes, including the late model larger brakes, are not suited for any sustained braking. The lightweight sheet metal brake drums will get VERY HOT very quickly. The late, larger drums are a little better, but still only suited for very limited braking, with plenty of off-time to cool down. Engine braking is the main Model T braking resource, and the only one that will survive sustained application. A tight engine in good tune that will idle slowly enhances engine braking capability. It's always a good idea to avoid carrying any un-needed weight in a Model T, especially in hilly country. While a very wet roadway might allow heavier use of the parking brake due to better brake cooling, available tire traction would be much reduced.

florap
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Flora
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Touring 13 Speedster
MTFCI Number: 21967

Post by florap » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:20 pm

You may want to check this out, they have them several times during the year

https://www.aacamuseum.org/event/model- ... 022-10-02/

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:49 pm

All this talk about using the parking brake as a service brake just reminds me of the benefit of either Rockies or AC brakes. No comparison to the braking ability of the lever vs aux brakes.
Glad all 3 of my Ts have RM's.

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:41 pm

When the discussion turns to the poverty of the Model T's stock brakes, and folks wax poetic over various added improvements, rarely does anyone mention how tiny is the contact area of two 3-1/2" tires on the road surface. In my experience, the stock service brake is fully capable of locking up the rear wheels. If it won't, the band is either out if adjustment or worn past service. Skidding is rarely a good thing, but at least with two wheel brakes one stands a chance of being partly in control of the direction of travel.

That said, my experience has been with light bodies and lighter loads. Perhaps a fully loaded sedan can overcome the stock system's ability to lock the wheels ?
Get a horse !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic