Mentorship

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Robert Bente
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Bente
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 runabout, 1921 touring, 1915 touring
MTFCA Number: 49948

Mentorship

Post by Robert Bente » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:48 pm

I’m not sure if this should go in the OT thread, but I’m thinking it’s all encompassing.
As the title stated, it’s about mentoring.
This week in Redding, Ca. we have a car show, Kool April Nights. I always win the super teen award for my 1916 T runabout. That’s not because it’s a super cool car, it’s because it’s the only one in the category. Last year I decided that
I needed to promote my passion/ obsession to others. I taught 10 people how to drive a T.
We have a cruise night on Friday, my friend who is also a united airline pilot will drive my roadster, while I have the ladies in the brass Buick.
There will be close to 2000 cars on Saturday, I’ve reserved spots for 4 brass cars,1 model T, and several later authenticate cars.
My point is: there will be only 5 cars before 1920, and only 10 or so before 1930.
Show your cars and spread your passion and enthusiasm. I get great pleasure when I see others drive my cars.
Pass it forward, r/s Bob

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Mentorship

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:51 am

Yes. At the very least, drive the thing. I'm sure there are at least a dozen Model T's in my county, but mine are the only ones I ever see being driven. It is a mystery to me why so many people have a driveable Model T and never drive it.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:37 am

Hey there Bob!
One of the amazing things about this hobby is that one of the most fun parts of it also happens to be the biggest thing we should all try to do for the betterment of the hobby.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:14 am

DITTO, DITTO, and DITTO!

And all the Best,

Hank

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 am

Steve (Jelf) I agree with you to point. My T is very driveable, but here in SW Florida the roads are flat and straight. Almost all are posted for 45 mph or above, which means that almost everyone drives at 50 mph or above. Dispite the flashing magnetic red light that I place on the rear of my T I am very concerned about being rear-ended by some idiot doing 55 while texting. I only drive my T when I am sure that traffic will be very light. When I lived in New England I drove the T regularly.
Last edited by John Codman on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:17 pm

My life is very busy right now with Mom's health problems and us watching her 2 dogs age 13 and 17 and our own health problems while we try to rebuild the house built in 1884, save the 1860/70's barn, keep the car and truck going (modern) and just get by so I try to drive the T as much as possible to get away. I noticed the 1926 got a lot of looks and comments so when we took it to shows I would end up giving rides to anyone that showed interest. Now that we have the 09 it gets even more interest at gas stations and every where we go and so far we have not had any shows in the area yet but I have already had a few people ride in the passenger seat while my wife took the back seat. I always like to have them up front where they can see how things work. I will see how much interest this one gets soon because the first event of this year is 100 years of transportation in a town about 25 miles south of me and we are going to drive the 09 followed by the 27 touring my wife sold last year that I have been helping the new owner with putting a new top on the last few days. We plan to show them side by side to show the first and last year of the model T. Anyone near Delphi Indiana on May 18th should check it out and bring your 1940 or older ride as long as its original. No rat rods or customs. Weather permitting, I will be there and might be able to slip in a ride or two for someone that shows interest. I may be hard to catch if it goes the way I think it will. :D
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:56 pm

YES YES YES YES, and YES! If I knew that my Pikes Peak brakes would hold up, I'd make the 40 mile run down 44 for Cool April in Angel... I'm finding more and more people interested in the stuff from our era, and (strangely) I'm finding more and more T's and other similar era cars locally (whoda thought?)… If I ever get a chance for a lining machine (and decent lining) my fingernail biting will be greatly reduced! :lol:

I figure the more people we can "infect" with our hobby, the better these cars will have to celebrate their 150th B'Day. While I'm not overly "keen" on letting someone else pilot my car (last time, years ago, they took on passengers who ended up sitting on the ('20's aftermarket) top, fell off the back, and took out the top bows and the lining "tubes" on the top - and cracked both of the oval windows) I agree we need to get more involved.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic