Junk yard Special update

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RRmp108
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hamborsky
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 touring

Junk yard Special update

Post by RRmp108 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:58 am

Hello Forum, you get an A. From a single picture you could tell how bad an engine could be.
I started cleaning the block and ran over the freeze plug once and it started a hole in it.
[image]
IMG_2298rs45.jpg
[/image]
I have replaced the vales and springs, I pulled one piston and decided to put new rings in too. Give it another refresh. When I pulled the pistons, I notice felt a sticky spot in the crankshaft when turning it. I pulled the caps on the crankshaft it had a few shims. I set the cap back in their spots and spun the crank, and herd lots of clicking from the loose caps. I reshimed the caps follow the web side tips and I could get it to free spin but still little stiff and I did not want to add to many shims. I pulled the center cap here and put a Mic on it. Is it bent or is the run out?
[image]
IMG_2317rs45.jpg
IMG_2318rs45.jpg
[/image]
Can you run this engine with this crankshaft?

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: Junk yard Special update

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:36 am

Not enough information to say. It could be a slight bend in the crankshaft or it could be that the middle journal is out of round. BTW, that's not a mic, it's a digital indicator.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:13 am

It sounds like a bent crankshaft. If that's the case, I'd want to check the shaft and the crankshaft rear flange for misalignment and straighten everything as required. I would not use that crankshaft until the problem is located and corrected.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:33 am

Magnaflux it. The ring test is not definitive. Member of the 2 piece crank club.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:35 am

It could be..... SCAT TIME!

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:42 am

Thomas you’ve got some real work ahead of you, check for cracks running into the valve seat if none that’s one hurdle
that would be good, next I’d drill the steam holes out, don’t damage your head gasket, it can probably be used again if in decent condition. Pull your valves by removing the keeper pin under the keeper seat, remove all that and now you can remove the cam & then the lifters. Hope you took rod caps off, keeping them in order and in the position they were orientated it’s important at this stage.
Last edited by JTT3 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:33 am

to your bend question: yes you certainly can fix it

first you want to be sure it's bent and not out of round...that can be done when it's reading ..002 and then with your hand, pushing down on the crank right at that spot and seeing if it will go back to "zero". If it does, it is bent. You will want to set up the indicator to anything over .010 and push down and see what the TOTAL deflection is and I'll bet you'll find the center main is also worn 2-4 thousandths, too

On my refresh 2 years ago I found the crank bent .004 and straightened it in a press...it took about 5 significant "over bends" to get it to settle out. Additionally, each day, it would relax back to about 75% of the previous "outage" and needed to be repressed - again, with significant overbends. I did this over a period of 3-4 days and it settled in at .0005 and I was tickled with that.

From there I had to scrape the front and rear mains to drop the crankshaft down to where it would also seat on the center main. LOTS of work with a scraper followed by a finish of TimeSaver. I fitted all new caps to the mains (again scraping and TimeSaver) and fit an undersize timing gear and all was fine...BUT it was a lot of work and I still have old babbit. I think I'd just redo the whole block as-new the next time. I don't have to be anywhere during the day and this was a long Winter's Project. If I was a 9-5 guy I would have never had the time to invest, and time vs $$ it was a very heavy investment in time. Good luck.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic