Tonneau cover

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bobbbenner
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Benner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT 1924, touring 22
MTFCA Number: 52622

Tonneau cover

Post by Bobbbenner » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:30 am

After three years of evading Covid-19, getting shots and boosters, I finally got it via my granddaughter!
I’ve been lucky that it’s been basically a bad cold and got the five day drugs that supposedly help getting back to normal. While sequestered I decided to make a tonneau cover for ‘Bell’ as I had made a ‘regular’ top cover earlier and thought a tonneau would be fairly easy to put together. I’ve got a couple of tools that help and a giant roll of a black cloth on one side and a golden rubber on the other side waterproof material to work with. One of the tools is a modern heavy duty Singer sewing machine that can sew up to four layers of the material, the other is a 1911 shoemakers machine that will sew through up to a half an inch of leather or soft materials and has a head that allows the user to sew in circles without moving the material being sewed. I’ve used this machine for all kinds of projects over the years I’ve had it. Recently I’ve used it to replace the leather crank holder, make new leather straps for the cracked and deteriorating ones on the car and other assorted tasks.
The tonneau cover fits just fine as the material can be stretched somewhat so I used the two roof bow socket bracket arms to secure the front loops and the rear simply is fitted.
Attachments
BE9612FC-A554-4336-B2AA-1F58A049544C.jpeg
45EDF49E-8C8C-4FA4-BB05-F68635E26CE4.jpeg

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Tonneau cover

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:45 am

Nice! That may improve top speed and fuel economy.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:58 am

Nicely done. The down side of posting your Tonneau cover for others to admire is that you will need to be prepared to take orders for them. Contact a local upholstery shop & see if they would make them. Income for you hobby :D
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:20 pm

Looks very good. Only very short people could ride there though :lol: It looks like a good place to carry your luggage when on a tour if only 2 people will be riding in the car. Very well done and very adept at that work. Maybe you should open a upholstery and top shop!
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic