Help identifying these drum headlights

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
FireDan
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Knoll
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Armadillo Speedster

Help identifying these drum headlights

Post by FireDan » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:23 pm

Since I bought my B-ARD Armadillo Speedster, I have never restored the GUIDE TRACTOR drum lights that came with it , I have been using a set of Model T headlights I bought. I saw these lights on Ebay with a buy it now price, and they looked awefully clean so i went ahead and bought them . They have STANDARD lenses, they are dual bulb and have interesting brackets. So far I have not found them online. Can anyone identify them ?
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Help identifying these drum headlights

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:07 am

I seriously doubt those were for tractor use. Does anything on them say anything about "tractor"? They might have been for a truck, but even for that they appear much too fancy. The style suggests somewhere between early 1920s to maybe 1928 at the latest. Probably a midsize moderately cheap car. The brackets probably bolted through the inner skirt of the front fenders into the fender brackets, at an angle to hold the lens flutes upright. Some series of Chevrolet had mini drum headlamps mounted that way, however, all of those I have seen were not nearly so nice as these.

jeffstag
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Versteeg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '27 TT, '25 TT, '23 Fordor, '23 Touring

Post by jeffstag » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:35 am

They're not Chevrolet. I would post maybe over on the AACA forum where there's a greater amount of multi-make expertise and see if someone over there can help.
23 Touring
23 Fordor
25 TT
27 TT

Topic author
FireDan

Post by FireDan » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:39 pm

The "Other" lights that came on the speedster were the "guide" tractor lights Wayne, they were 8-1/2 inch (Smaller) and plain steel front bezel , much more industrial looking. I posted way back when when I first got the car . I agree fully with your description of these . I am hoping I can orient the brackets horizontal and switch things around inside so the reflectors and lenses are oriented the proper way . On this Duo-lamp style, is one socket for a running light of a different color ??????

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:12 pm

They might be after market accessory headlights or “replacements” that were made in the 30”s.

Topic author
FireDan

Post by FireDan » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:57 pm

That is a valid possibility, John. The brackets certainly seem to be different than most I have viewed. I was hoping to find a picture to see how they were mounted, but no luck so far. Possibly on a headlight bar that went from fender to fender is my guess.

Jim, Sr.
First Name: Jim, Sr.
Last Name: Rodell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 coupe, 1926 touring
MTFCA Number: 2406
MTFCI Number: 22213

Post by Jim, Sr. » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:26 am

Your headlights look like my Victor drum headlights, but with different brackets. Victor made these to mount on the Model T fender bracket, or if the car did not have fenders. then the bracket would get cut off just past the headlight mounting hole. Some of the companies that sold speedster bodies had the headlights in their catalogs.
Attachments
DSC09314.JPG
DSC09315.JPG
DSC09307.JPG
DSC09308.JPG
1922 Coupe , 1926 Touring

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:38 am

I would be very tempted to carefully remove the original mounting brackets, fill rivet holes etc. Then take common model T post mounts, remove the rusty beyond salvage buckets, and reshape the posts to a nice "goose neck" to hold the drums lower and more forward. Position those under these drums rotated to hold straight up and down for the lenses and bulbs, and rivet them into place. I think those would look GREAT on your speedster!
Just alter the T brackets so that the original back angled cradle comes up level under the drums.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic