Free start

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rod Petrie
First Name: Rod
Last Name: Petrie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT

Free start

Post by Rod Petrie » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:45 am

After driving my 26TT almost every day for 6 months I got my first free start. I am curious as to how often others get a free start.

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Re: Free start

Post by Russ T Fender » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:51 am

I get them often on all my T's, even starting cold. Oddly, they almost never fail to start on their own when there are people waiting to see me start them with the crank! It's almost as if they are toying with me.

Tadpole
First Name: Tad
Last Name: Glahn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe, 1926 TT Closed Cab, 1924 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 51667
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Tadpole » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:53 am

With clean spark plugs and warm weather mine will free-start most of the time. So long as I prime it first and have a coil buzzing. Timing needs to be just right.

1925 Touring
First Name: Austin
Last Name: Farmer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring

Post by 1925 Touring » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:55 am

Our 1925 Touring will free start almost all the time, if the engine is warm.
The future of our hobby does not depend as much on youth, but on the future of internal combustion.
The past is only simple because hindsight is 20/20.

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:09 am

Question ?

To me, a "true" free start is when the engine takes right off when you switch to "bat" without any "prepping".

I have experienced that only twice, when my Lizzie came off the transport after a 2500 mile trip. Ten o'clock on Halloween night. I hadn't driven a T in thirty years, and killed the motor getting her into the garage - I got a second free start and reckoned that meant she liked me. It was kind of a metaphysical experience.

As for "sort of" free starts, on a turn and a half with choke, she'll start when switched on 90% of the time - but is that truly a "free start" ?
Get a horse !

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:16 am

a free start, long seconds after the key is turned on, but just prior to putting your hand on the crank is the most enervating Free Start there is.

hopefully your heart and wrist survive the event!
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:31 am

"....a free start, long seconds after the key is turned on...."

Starting on magneto is safest.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:31 am

Depends on where the crankshaft stopped last time it turned. Also whether there is fuel mixture in all cylinders and the position of the throttle and spark levers when the key is turned to battery. also how the mixture is set. Usually needs to be just on the rich side if the engine is cold. Or just at the sweet spot when warm. Mine will often free start right after I stop to get gas and the tank is full and the engine is warm and turned off just before I filled the tank. Then I get in and turn on the key, and it starts. It also happens when I am parked and someone asks me to show them how to crank. Soon as I turn on the ignition it starts! Either that happens or it won't start with the crank. Maybe it starts with crank but dies before I can get around to advance the spark! It is easier to crank start when no one is looking!
Norm

Tadpole
First Name: Tad
Last Name: Glahn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe, 1926 TT Closed Cab, 1924 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 51667

Post by Tadpole » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:33 am

Following Mr. Bingham's definition of a free start, I've only experienced that once or twice. That always warrants excited laughter.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:47 am

My car will usually free start when warm if I richen the mixture a little just before shutting it off. It only rarely free starts after sitting overnight. A stock cam is probably best for free starts. A good free neutral would be helpful also. If I turn off the ignition at about 900 RPM, that seems to help.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:01 am

The likelihood of free starts depends on several variables, as Norm has mentioned. I get them often when the car has warmed up, never cold. When I get them it's usually instantaneously when I flip the switch, but occasionally I get the one Scott described, where you're reaching for the crank and the car suddenly starts before you touch it.

mister_ed.jpg
Remember Mister Ed? He talked to Wilbur when they were alone together, but wouldn't say a word when anybody else was around. My car will usually start on one pull when warmed up, or often free start. But when people are watching it will often make me work. I call it Mister Ed.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Atomic Amish
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Kuczynski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915ish speedster in parts, building a T V8 roadster pickup for support vehicle
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Atomic Amish » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:50 pm

^^ I can vouch for that, Steve. ;)
My other car is an Amish Drag Buggy.
Barnstormers VSC
Si vestri 'non prius novissimo
Celeritate Est Vita
Antique Vehicle Mechanic- Greenfield Village

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:16 pm

My first free start came the first time I ever tried to start a Model T. I was new to T's and had never even heard of such a thing. I had jacked up the rear wheel and pulled the crank through to prime the engine, then walked around to turn on the switch and begin cranking. As soon as I turned the switch to BAT the engine gave a lurch and roared into life, rear wheel spinning madly. It scared the heck out of me; so much so that I immediately switched it back off.

It was winter time and the temperature was about 30F. My hands were already cold and I had assumed I'd be doing a bit of cranking to warm up. Now, as I stood there trying to understand what had happened I realized just how cold I was. And shivering. Went back in the house, got a hot drink to warm up and sat down, trying to grasp what had just happened.

Thinking through how the ignition system worked, I realized that the engine didn't have to be turning in order to make sparks. An hour or so later, the adrenalin having subsided, I ventured back outside and gingerly gave it another try. I fully expected it to jump back into life as before, but it just sat quietly and waited for me to crank.

I bet I didn't get a second free start for a year afterward.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:13 pm

Often when we least expect them. I often get a chuff from one car even after sitting for days and a free start 1 out of 16 times or so. The other 4 hardly ever. The engines don't always stop at the same place. Momentum, temperature and the phase of the moon have something to do with it.
Rich
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic