finish the build or part it out

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dinosbunny
First Name: dino
Last Name: marinelli
MTFCA Number: 35645

finish the build or part it out

Post by dinosbunny » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:44 am

My problem is, I am getting to old and tired to keep working cars. I have 2 model t's left. One is a 24 touring, everything is completely re-done, motor,, trans, ruckstell, driveshaft and bearings, front end, bearing, bushings, new body wood, new wood wheels, all the sheet metal and fenders has been blasted, repaired epoxy primed and painted... everything. All thats left to do is put the new radiator on when it comes in a couple of weeks and have it upholstered than sell it, or do I take it apart and sell pieces of the car because I dont really want to mess with the upholstery.
The other car is a 15 speedster I am working on, all rebuilt, same as above, but not put together as of yet. I think I want to keep this one for a bit and enjoy the drive since this is the first model t I have ever seen, 45 years ago, and fell in love with.
What would you do with the 24?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: finish the build or part it out

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:52 am

I would say, if the car is that complete, you should advertise it for sale as is and someone else could very well like to finish the project. The vendors sell upholstery and top kits for tourings and easy to complete. The speedster? Since it is a custom car, not so easy to do such as upholstery, but the other parts can be custom made. The right buyer would enjoy that project too. I was about 55 when I started working on T's and I also am getting a bit old to take on a new project, but there is someone who would like a retirement project just as I did.
Norm

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:15 am

Dino hard decision to make and one I’m dealing with too. I don’t know if I have enough fuel in the tank to finish what I have. That said if you’re only upholstery & radiator away I’d probably finish it. You have to know that you may take it on the chin when it comes time to sell it either way. Like so many have experienced, you probably won’t get what you put into it. If you can get past that then the decision may be easier. Selling individual parts on a dismantle may help you more financially.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 am

Dino,

In my mind, disassembling the '24 to part it out would be more labor intensive than just finishing it. I'd either finish it, or sell it as-is since both options answer your initial issue of being too "old & tired" to continue the project.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:30 am

Projects bring more in parts than as a project. I have parted out a few. Tried to sell them as project with no response. Then parted out and got more than wanted as a project. Does it take a little more work, yes but what else are you going to do? Does it make sense? No, but have seen it many times.
I would part it out in a NY minute.

TBones12
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Poane
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Hack, 1910 Touring, 1914 Touring, currently a Touring 1912, 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 17004
MTFCI Number: 17004

Post by TBones12 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:05 am

I would try selling it as is now. If it does not sell part it out. The risk of parts is the risk of only selling 80% of the car and left with 20%
parts taking up space in the garage. Of course you can just sell the left over parts for cheap just to get rid of them. Or swap them with a vender for parts for the speedster.

Bryant
First Name: bryant
Last Name: shafer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 tudor
MTFCA Number: 51736
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Bryant » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:19 am

Finish the race your almost there! If it’s about age part with the long term projects since there already in pieces. Then once you’re finished with the 24 you can enjoy the ride ;)
All the best
Bryant
“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t-you’re right.”

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:24 am

I just turned 69, I lost my Bride of 41 years 2 weeks ago, If I didn't have my "T,s" to work on I would go insane! Finish the race and be satisfied that you did. :D
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:26 am

Get the car in running condition, take lots of pictures, and let a new owner buy and install the top and interior. If you were to take the car apart and deal with selling it by the piece, with attendant hassles, I'd think you'd do better to put the same or less effort into finishing putting it together and enjoy driving it or sell it complete. One sale instead of dozens. Far less hassle. It's likely that you'd put more time and effort into dismantling, packing, and shipping parts than you would in finishing the car, or at least getting it running and drive-able.
Last edited by TXGOAT2 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:31 am

Parting the car completely wastes all the time and effort put into assembling it to the point where it now is, and requires that you do it over again, in reverse. Dismantling, packing and shipping things like painted fenders, etc, is no small job.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:57 am

Think about this. Will parting it out take more time than finishing the project?
Parting out time
remove individual parts, take pictures of them, post them on the forum (not eBay or your tax status will change), answering questions via email or PM's, bumping up the ones that lag, packaging & mailing, going to the bank to deposit checks if you or buyer doesn't use PayPal to Friends & Family
--
Finish the Project
put the new radiator on when it comes in a couple of weeks. Have it upholstered or leave it up to the buyer, take pictures, post on the Forum, bumping it up now & then, answering questions via email or PM's, title transfer, going to the bank to deposit the check.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:23 am

A problem with parting it out is that some parts will bring big money and sell quickly, and others might not sell then you will have a big set of junk in the garage. If you get it running, you can sell it to someone who can and will finish the job and another car will have survived almost 100 years, or if after 2022 will have survived over 100 years. Unless you have a new radiator or one in working condition, that will be the most expensive part to buy, but easy to install. It will add to the value of the car in that the car will then be in running condition.
Norm

nicklm
First Name: Nick
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring
MTFCA Number: 31031
MTFCI Number: 18935

Post by nicklm » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:25 pm

I don't know how close you may be to a school with a mechanical education shop but you may suggest they put the car together with a share of the sales price for the completed car when sold. Even a model T club may be an avenue to look into.
I would prefer to have a complete car from original with parts and numbers that match. If it were closer
(and it was affordable), I would do it myself and I am in my 80's.
I bought our 26 touring in the 60's and it was taken apart in CA then moved to FL in the 70's completed 2005 or so. Great experience and we drive the car as much as possible. Beach traffic, in FL on the saved barrier islands near St. Petersburg, are perfect speed for the car.
Hope you find the solution that works for you.
Nick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic