Bulb horn repair part 2

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
FULLBORE
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Coats
MTFCA Number: 51925
Board Member Since: 2021

Bulb horn repair part 2

Post by FULLBORE » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:35 am

Good day everyone
After reading the previous bulb horn posts, it’s clear that I need someone to repair my horn.
Can anyone recommend someone that can repair my 1911 bulb horn?

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Bulb horn repair part 2

Post by TWrenn » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:31 am

Are you sure the horn itself is the issue? If I'm not mistaken, it's merely an "appliance" to which the noise from the reed emits, and nothing more. As my previous post, and I admit at this point I have not followed up on your "part 1", I would still look into the flexible hose and it's fittings as your source. I have discovered even the hose itself, with indeed air tight sweatings at each end, leaked enough air to cause a problem. Check your hose again. Thoroughly. And good luck. Took me several week to nail mine down.

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:38 am

I too would like to get my horn working. There were some good suggestions on the other thread on how to "fiddle" with a reed if one is so inclined.

I seem to recall a post from 'way back suggesting that plastic tubing could be used to line the brass flex hose to eliminate leaks. I found the flex tube can be "screwed tighter" by twisting it, which helps to reduce leakage.
Get a horse !

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:11 pm

Holy cow Rich...now thats a heckuva idea!! Wish I woulda thought of that when I was fighting with Isabel's horn...but indeed a new hose is all it ended up needing, and a solid sweating of the fittings. Clara's already got a new hose and good fittins, so I know it's the Reed. Thankfulky I now have one coming from Steve Tomaso. He's rescued me numerous times. Great guy.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:35 am

The inside diameter of any replacement hose would affect the operation of the horn. An ID close to the original would be best. If a larger ID hose, or a longer one, is used, a larger bulb would probably compensate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic