Dipper pan, oil level question, speedster project.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Dipper pan, oil level question, speedster project.

Post by dobro1956 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:01 pm

I am in the process of converting the oil pan (crankcase) to install on the speedster project. I am just checking to see if Im thinking right. Is the stock oil level of the dipper pan the top surface of the flange that the inspection cover horse shoes sits on. It seems like the oil level would not be affected by the horse shoes since the oil just runs around them to get back to the crankcase sump. I am planning on adding a dam to the rear of the dipper pan area to raise the oil level 1/4 inch above the stock level. Then I will install three or maybe four pipe nipples with a 1/4 inch ID, into the dipper pan flat areas to drain oil into a Sherman deep sump oil pan installed below the stock dipper pan. I will set the drain nipples to be 1/8 inch above the stock oil pan level.

This is all based on just using the stock oil funnel to the front of the engine. More than likely I will also have a high volume oil line similar to the Texas T Parts product, to feed extra oil to the dipper pan.

So in theory I am raising the stock oil level 1/8 of an inch before the oil starts to drain into the Sherman pan, and using the other 1/8 of an inch to feed the Sherman oil pan .. if I use a 1/4 inch high dam .. ???

What is the accepted amount to raise the dipper pan oil level with out oil fouling. ???

Thanks ...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz (3).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz (1).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz (2).JPG

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Re: Dipper pan, oil level question, speedster project.

Post by Dan McEachern » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:16 am

Your plan is pretty much spot on. Be aware that heat in your dam area will tend to distort the pan, but your pan jig will fix that.

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Re: Dipper pan, oil level question, speedster project.

Post by dobro1956 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks Dan... A year or more ago, when I bought the Sherman deep sump pan. Herm also answered my question, but I just forgot. Its hell getting old. :)
He used one 1/2 inch pipe to feed the deep sump pan below the dipper pan, instead of three or four smaller pipe nipples. He also thought that 1/2 inch deeper oil level would be the max before oil fouling would be a problem. With you and Herm saying Im headed in the right direction ...

Its off to the shop I go .... to see if I still know how to braze weld ..........

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic