Performing Necromancy on ‘26 dump truck

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Basil
First Name: Basil
Last Name: Quesnel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 dump truck

Performing Necromancy on ‘26 dump truck

Post by Basil » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:09 am

Just got gifted my late grandpa’s long-term project car, a rusted old rotting carcass of a 1926 model t dump truck. This thing is bad- covered in rust, and all the wood components are mostly rotted. Haven’t tried to crank over the engine yet but I have very low hopes. What are some things I should know as I begin to attempt the impossible? My first order of business will be to attempt to get the wood body back upright so I can attempt to make a template/diagram of sorts to create a new body. I have some diagrams from my grandpa and the start of a door that he built. How will the door even latch? I have no idea. Any and all advice is welcome, but I am absolutely not giving up on this car without a massive fight.

Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

Re: Performing Necromancy on ‘26 dump truck

Post by Herb Iffrig » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:15 am

A photo would be helpful to identify what you have. It most probably is a Model TT Ford.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:51 am

Good clear pictures will be very helpful. Include underhood pictures and driver's compartment, rear axle, wheels, overall views.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:57 am

We have lots of members with trucks. Post pix, and get the conversation started.

DSC05334.jpg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:49 am

Welcome to the hobby, and great to hear of your interest in Grandpa's truck.

As asked in posts above, some pictures will help to get the ball rolling and focus in on specific advice.

A 'full rebuild' would normally involve pulling the truck down - taking the cab and deck remains off the chassis, pulling out the engine for reconditioning, rebuild the axles etc, then moving to the guards, cab etc. Each thing can be done in stages. While the old Ford is fairly simple and you should be able to achieve a lot with a little mechanical knowledge, the 'guide books' and some local advice (join the local T club chapter if you can), it is better to tear down one 'chunk' at a time so that you don't get overwhelmed by trying to do everything at once.

Many TT cabs were built by various vendors. Many of these are known and templates/ plans are available for some. Also we have members here with a range of trucks who could send you pictures and advice on details. That is why we ask you to post some pics so we can 'zero in' the advice we can give.

Thanks for joining the forum and posting - we are here to help!
5 April 2010 (4) (Large).JPG

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:50 am

20200910_210937.jpg
IMG_2419.JPG
My cab was apart and rotted. I pieced it together for photos. After research and alot of help from forum members, I had a plan.
20180328_184835.jpg
The bed was complete but in bad shape also.
20180328_184835.jpg

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:04 am

After 2 years and many enjoyable hours the 23 TT with Martin- Parry cab and American 8in1 convertible truck body made by the Ameican Wagon Company came together.
20190704_111358.jpg
since photo I made and installed rear fenders. It has 5:1 gears in rear and Chicago 3 speed. Hassler shocks out front and soon to have Hassler's in the rear. Also sporting and Apco explosion proof muffler with built in cut out.

The knowledge on this forum is great. I could never have done this truck without their help. Yes I done the work but used their knowledge. Its great your truck is a family owned project. Take your time, ask lots of questions and enjoy the process. Some photos would be great to see.

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:56 pm

Basil,

Welcome to the forum and hobby! The information of above is great. One of the key things many of us have learned the hard way is: "It comes apart much faster than it goes back together." So the advice of fixing one area before taking the next area apart helps many us stay motivated and not get overwhelmed with the task.

As mentioned above, posting some photos would be a great help. As a new person to T's you will also discover that what people say the year of a car or truck is does not always line up with what it really is (or mostly is -- since most Ts have parts from various years). A 1909-1927 engine and transmission will fit in any 1909 - 1927 T or TT (stands for Ton Truck) with minor changes. Most other parts were standard for a certain number of years but often but not always fit lots of other years with no or only minor changes needed. Henry Ford wanted his Ts & TTs to be repairable forever.

And while many of us are thinking your dump truck will be on a Ton Truck (TT) chassis -- I have seen a few pickups (as well as trailers) where the bed was modified so they could dump a much smaller load of dirt, gravel, etc. And there were kits to convert a standard car chassis to a 1 Ton or more truck. Smith Form a truck was a common one (see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/11 ... 1291412425 but there were several other popular ones). It would be good to know if you have a standard car chassis, a car chassis converted to Ton or larger truck, or the heavier duty all assembled by the Ford factory Ton Truck chassis. And as pointed out earlier in the thread lots of companies and even the local black smith could build and install a cab & bed on the Ford chassis for the owner. Ford also announced the availability of their own Ton Truck body (cab) on Jan 9, 1924 for the C cab and on Apr 9, 1924 for the closed cab. It gets a little confusing as Ford use the 1925 style front fenders on the 1926 & 1927 Ton Trucks as well as the hood and cowl styles.

Some clues to look for:

Ford Model T Car rear axle generally looks similar to the photo below:
Rear axle housing 1915-1919 g 26 Sep-Oct 1989 VF.jpg
Ford Model T Ton truck rear axle generally looks similar to the photo below note this one has an accessory Ruckstell rear axle that adds a fatter looking half to the USA driver's side of the rear axle. Note the drive shaft come into the top of the rear axle house and that is called a worm drive rear axle.
TT rear end - labeled.jpg
Depending on how bad the remaining parts are on your vehicle, it might be less expensive to purchase a better truck, I have a 1915 touring car that was cut off and made into a pickup truck. It actually can run and be driven (really poor steering). But it needs just about everything. The engine runs but needs a total rebuild. The block is stamped with the 1915 serial number but has a 1916 casting date. So probably not the engine block to pay to have rebuilt. The rear seat area was removed and needs to be replaced (I have what I believe will work). The body needs to be rewooded. The front fenders are the later 1924-27 TT and 1924-25 car style and the rear fenders are the 1917-1925 car style. I still hope to fix it up. I will almost certainly have more money in it than it will ever sell for. But it is the fist car I ever drove. I have lots and lots of memories of my Dad and me working on, washing, and driving that car. So the sentimental value is worth it to me. But if I saw one like it for sale at a bargain, I would pass and look for a car in better condition.
See also the posting removing a T from Moth Balls at Steve Jelf’s site: https://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html
Steve also has a lot of other good T info starting at the page at:
https://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG52.html
. It sounds like you have a bigger job than that, but it will give you some ideas. When my Dad purchased a 1915 that had been outside in a wrecking yard for years the engine was frozen. But the spark plugs were still in, the hood was on covering the engine, the manifolds were on it and the oil filler cap was still on it so it never filled up with water on the inside of the engine where the rods, pistons etc. were. About a month of soaking the pistons (he used kerosene poured in the spark plug holes – there are much better choices today) the engine freed up. He was lucky. He was able to clean things up and get it running. I had a 1928-31 Model A engine that was frozen and it took about 2 months of soaking with kerosene to free it up – but once free it was clear the engine needed lots of work. That one did not get running.

Good luck with T and have fun.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic