1927 axle housing alignment

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bmklawt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Klawiter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring

1927 axle housing alignment

Post by bmklawt » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:45 pm

I'm rebuilding the rear axle in my 1927 Touring, one of my axle housing on the outside end must have worn through the bearing sleeve an into the axle housing, I have a spare, but when I put the two halves together the only bolts that line up are the ones next to the Drive shaft roller bearing housing.
Are all housing created equal or should I be looking for something specific? The axle housings I have all have he large drum backing plate on them.
Second picture is my old worn axle housing, maybe that's okay to use, I don't know.
Attachments
IMG_5236.jpg
IMG_5237.jpg

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Re: 1927 axle housing alignment

Post by RGould1910 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:17 pm

I'd use the old one. The bearing sleeve won't be affected by the lip if you carefully grind it smooth

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:57 am

RGould1910 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:17 pm
I'd use the old one. The bearing sleeve won't be affected by the lip if you carefully grind it smooth
The lip would not be the issue. The lip appears due to inside diameter of the axle tube being worn out-of-round below the lip. Installing a new sleeve in that housing would either create a void between the sleeve and the housing, or would force the sleeve to also be out-of-round. Ultimately, under load, the latter condition would be the result.

Topic author
bmklawt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Klawiter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring

Post by bmklawt » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:05 am

Exactly what Jerry said, tube is out of round.
Can I chase the mounting holes for the axle half's with a drill or should I be looking for a better fitting axle housing?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:12 am

Do you have the housing for the other side of the one which does not fit? If so, how does it fit and in what condition is it. Maybe good to replace both sides or to look for a better one at swap meets. You would be surprised how forgiving a T is for small imperfections. You might even be able to put in a thin shim at the low point between the housing and the sleeve. If you are using the original type bearings which are hollow like a spring, they will flex a bit but I don't think solid rollers would be as good to use in this application.
Norm

RGould1910
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:46 pm

I don't think the lip was created by a bent axle. The sleeve covers that area and any tweaked or angled condition would not have caused wear under the sleeve. Even if the sleeve were recessed in the axle housing, I don't see how the bearing cage could have reached the tube to caused the wear we see. The lip was likely caused by a cup washer rubbing against the inner surface of the housing coupled with a recessed sleeve.

RGould1910

Post by RGould1910 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:17 pm

Looking at the photo closer, it's the sleeve that has the lip, not the tube. I agree its due to a bent axle housing. A very common condition. Most all rear end housings I see are bent. That doesn't seem to affect drivability unless the bend is extreme. Most folks replace the sleeve and are done with it. There are a number of threads on straightening rear axle housings if that's what you want to do. I've done a number of them myself.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:33 pm

RGould1910 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:17 pm
Looking at the photo closer, it's the sleeve that has the lip, not the tube. I agree its due to a bent axle housing. A very common condition. Most all rear end housings I see are bent. That doesn't seem to affect drivability unless the bend is extreme. Most folks replace the sleeve and are done with it. There are a number of threads on straightening rear axle housings if that's what you want to do. I've done a number of them myself.
There is no sleeve in that tube. The sleeve that WAS there wore completely through, allowing the bearing to then begin wearing away at the axle tube itself. Nobody suggested this was due to a bent axle housing.

The whole point of this post was that the holes in the OP's replacement housing do not align with the holes in the other half.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic