So, Mr. A. Whiteman, tell us about your TT truck.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
WayneJ
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Jorgensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1918 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31697
MTFCI Number: 23399
Board Member Since: 2013

So, Mr. A. Whiteman, tell us about your TT truck.

Post by WayneJ » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:28 am

Mr. Whiteman recently posted the following photo in another thread.
5 April 2010 (4) (Large).JPG.jpg
5 April 2010 (4) (Large).JPG.jpg (95.19 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
I like your truck, and would like to know more about. it. So as to not high jack the original thread, perhaps you could tell us more about your fine truck?

Thanks.
Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Re: So, Mr. A. Whiteman, tell us about your TT truck.

Post by A Whiteman » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:15 pm

Hi Wayne, thank you for asking, and I agree, I like my truck too :-)

"Albert" is a Canadian built right hand drive 1926 TT with a New Zealand locally made cab and deck.

Most Model T cars and TT trucks brought to New Zealand are Canadian built – under the “buy British Empire” tax rules that applied at the time which taxed US products very heavily. Albert is no exception and is a typical Canadian built TT from 1926.

Unlike the Model T car, TT trucks did not receive the full “New Beauty” face lift introduced in 1926, but stayed with 1925 body components through to end of production in 1927.

Little is known about Albert’s early history. While he is largely “unrestored”, he has been “renovated” over the years with parts replaced/painted/repaired as required, but aiming to retain his patina.

Albert bears traces of an original coat of grey paint and of wear marks on the cab and deck consistent with being used as a “ladder truck” or similar. We think perhaps he was a Post Office lines truck, or maybe a Metropolitan Electricity Department vehicle, and possibly hails from Wellington. Unfortunately, few records are available and we may never be able to trace him back to his “birth”.

The cab and deck use a lot of New Zealand White Pine, which is a soft light wood. This wood is not known for its longevity, but even so most of the wood work appears original, or though quite a few deck planks have been replaced (again using new milled White Pine).

I added the under deck boxes (one each side) to tote things like spare fuel cans, rags, a jack, tools and my lunch as there is not much room in the cab for anything other than two squeezed in adults.

Like many Ts, Albert has one door only, being the passenger side as there would be no easy way to exit from the driver side given the size of the cab and the levers.

Accessories added include indicators and brake light (for safety sake in modern traffic), a foot feed (very helpful when changing gears with hands full of levers ;-) ) and of course an exhaust whistle (just because I could :-) ).

The arm on the cab side with the yellow hand was a legal requirement for trucks so that following motorists could see when you were planning a right hand turn (across the traffic here) or stopping - you pull the end of the lever and the hand rotates up to a 'stop' signal. The longer arm was to make sure the 'hand' was visible beyond the load you were carrying.

Albert has a 'high ratio' diff with a Ruckstell unit, meaning he has a Ford direct ratio and an underdrive. To speed things up we have installed a Ford AA truck underdrive unit - which fits in the drive train behind the gear box - but we turned it 180 degrees, so it acts an an overdrive instead. The shifter connects to a second hand brake assembly set back a little from the actual hand brake (see photo below). It is probably a little too high geared but by running the Ruckstell in low and the overdrive in high we get a pretty good ratio for road driving. Interestingly the AA unit is made by Ruckstell as well!

The over drive is shifted by a lever mounted next to the hand brake lever, the cab looks impressive with all these levers and with some practice it is fun to change up the 8 gears while pretending to be a large Mack or KW !
P1310009 (Large).JPG
P1310013 (Large).JPG
P1310015 (Large).JPG
The photo below shows a very similar TT in Upper Hutt, heading over the Mangaroa Hill Road to the Mangaora Valley with is where my family settled in the 1840's. While we will never know, we think the driver is my grandfather who often drove his neighbour's TT for him. The Stewart Vee Ray on the truck inspired me to find and fit one on Albert too. It is a lot brighter than the standard head lights :-)

The similarity of the cab design suggests that both Albert and the pictured truck may be built by the same local company. It was usual for local coach builders to fit out the TT chassis and this further suggests that Albert was a local Wellington lines truck too.
Mangaroa.jpg
Yes, Albert does get used around the place to do various jobs:
P1010899.JPG
Last edited by A Whiteman on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:18 pm

11-05-16 (2).JPG
DSC07368.JPG
P1019972.JPG

Topic author
WayneJ
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Jorgensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1918 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31697
MTFCI Number: 23399
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by WayneJ » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:06 am

Thank you for the very detailed reply. I enjoyed reading about Albert. The Model T supplier "Lang's" puts out a calendar each year featuring Model T's. I think the first photo, with the fall leaves, and the photo hauling hay bales would make great submissions for the 2024 calendar.

Best Wishes.
Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:16 am

I have seen photos of your truck and wondered about it. Thanks for taking time to fill us in on the story. Glad to see it working and being used as intended.

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:30 pm

Thank you! Wonderful story, photos and information.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:54 am

I can only echo the replies Adrian.
Neat story!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic