Looking for 8-1/2° taper reamer...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Bamford
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Bamford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Speedster 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 17817

Looking for 8-1/2° taper reamer...

Post by Chris Bamford » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:56 pm

Lang's markets front axle repair kits with a tapered upper insert. They state an 8-1/2° taper reamer is required.

Internet searches for these reamers have come up dry (and/or I'm not searching right).

Where is such a tool generally available? Thank you.

T axle repair kit.png
T axle repair parts.png

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Looking for 8-1/2° taper reamer...

Post by Humblej » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:00 pm

Dan Hatch in the MTFCA classifieds.

Topic author
Chris Bamford

Post by Chris Bamford » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:08 pm

Thank you Jeff.

I've seen Dan's advert, and while the degree of taper is not listed I suspected they would suffice.

Unfortunately, it looks like Dan's are sets only, and close to $500 US a pop.

I don't need the bottom tap, just the reamer.

Surely this is not a situation where the inserts are an oddball custom taper and there is but one source for the tools??

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:40 pm

Chris
I am pretty sure that our club has one. I will check and let you know!

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:57 pm

That tapered reamer is a custom part and only Dan has it. Be careful when using the tool, I did not realize I had a burr under the reamer and almost went too deep. If you decide to barrow a reamer, make sure to test it that it is sharp and not worn out. I have heard someone barrow a set and destroyed it because he did not know what he was doing and he was forced to buy a nother set of reamers and ended up buying a nother set for himself so he could complete his own job. Now there might be a company that would re sharpen that tool but I do not know who. If all else fails, send the whole axle to Dan and he will do the whole job perfectly.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:12 pm

many '26-27 axles are hardened and should always be tested with a file first. If necessary, the area can be annealed to facilitate rework, with no harm to the axle. If you do not, the reamer will be ruined very quickly indeed.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:30 pm

My reamers are copies of the Stevens reamers. But I make mine 1/4” longer on the big end so they can be sharpened. If anyone wants a copy of the original Stevens instructions that they sent with the tool, email me.

I may have an original Stevens reamer I will sell. Email me if you are interested. Dan

As an added note my reamer can be sharpened by any tool sharpening company that sharpens end mills.
Last edited by Dan Hatch on Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:55 pm

Why on earth doesn't someone make these tapered inserts with a Morse or Jacobs or Jarno or some other standard taper, so folks can buy an off-the-shelf reamer? Before my dad even knew such a thing ever existed, he made tapered inserts of his own and used a standard taper.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:15 pm

Business opportunity, Jerry! (just kidding)

that, and a new Stevens frame to fit the new Morse reamer

But it's easier said than done.

While anyone can find dozens of cheap Morse reamers, every one will have a different diameter shank...not conducive to guaranteeing one will fit anyone's frame...Stevens or not. We're paying for a reproduction tool which is guaranteed to fit any Stevens frame found (new or original)...not the cheapest tool available.

In any event, for the average guy, a trip to a machine shop is cheaper or equivalent to the cost of the reamer(s), or if you do regular work for $$, they pay for themselves pretty quickly (and if they don't, you're working too cheaply)

When Dan quits ordering these custom reamers, someone will have a captive audience for their replacement. An audience which will likely complain about the price, regardless. It's what we "T" owners do... :lol:

Perhaps Dan could sell the whole lot to an Iowa Parts Dealer, and then they would disappear from circulation within the month like everything else they gobble up!

Thanks for sticking it out as long as you have, Dan!
Scott Conger

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:27 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:15 pm
Business opportunity, Jerry! (just kidding)

that, and a new Stevens frame to fit the new Morse reamer

But it's easier said than done.

While anyone can find dozens of cheap Morse reamers, every one will have a different diameter shank...not conducive to guaranteeing one will fit anyone's frame...Stevens or not. We're paying for a reproduction tool which is guaranteed to fit any Stevens frame found (new or original)...not the cheapest tool available.

In any event, for the average guy, a trip to a machine shop is cheaper or equivalent to the cost of the reamer(s), or if you do regular work for $$, they pay for themselves pretty quickly (and if they don't, you're working too cheaply)

When Dan quits ordering these custom reamers, someone will have a captive audience for their replacement. An audience which will likely complain about the price, regardless. It's what we "T" owners do... :lol:

Perhaps Dan could sell the whole lot to an Iowa Parts Dealer, and then they would disappear from circulation within the month like everything else they gobble up!

Thanks for sticking it out as long as you have, Dan!
Okay Scott. Two things...

1. I see your point about a tool, of whatever taper, that's universally adapted to existing tooling.
2. My comment was in no way meant to criticize or second guess or disrespect Dan's efforts. I hope neither you nor Dan, nor anyone else, took it that way.

In the case of my dad's version of this repair, he had, (and I have), access to equipment that can accomplish this without the Stevens frame*. I sometimes forget that not everyone has machinery, etc. to do that kind of thing.

*Admittedly, the Stevens tooling would make it waaay easier.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:02 pm

I didn't take it that way and I'm sure Dan didn't either. I'm sorry for putting you into that frame of mind...that wasn't my plan. Just that so many folks are quitting the parts game, I thought I'd kid you a little about starting a product line...was probably ill-advised on my part.

the logistics of using a morse reamer and getting one to fit the Stevens tool is one of those things that looks easy and obvious but was anything but! I did my first axle on my mill and cannot for the life of me remember which taper I used ( it was not 8 1/5).

years ago, while owning a useless Stevens Frame, and having grown tired of the set up on the mill (one time!...I have no patience for that sort of thing) I contemplated having reamers made...and contemplated and contemplated. After a year or so of well meaning but ineffectual farting around, Dan asked if I'd mind if he pursued it. I told him to have at it and he accomplished what my procrastinating could or more accurately would not.

I'm ever so appreciative of that day he asked me...he's done a great job with it. Thanks Dan!
Scott Conger

robertw413
First Name: robert
Last Name: wright

Post by robertw413 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:35 pm

i don't know how to get the ad of ebay but here is the number 152858750471 its not mine

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:45 pm

robertw413 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:35 pm
i don't know how to get the ad of ebay but here is the number 152858750471 its not mine
Robert,

Is this the eBay item you're referring to?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152858750471?h ... R8Lu9_KWYQ

robertw413

Post by robertw413 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:55 pm

yes, thank you jerry

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:41 am

To Robert or anyone else considering purchasing just a reamer: you absolutely MUST be sure you can fixture the upper hole and reamer perfectly in line with the lower threaded hole in the axle. Anything other than perfect, and the spindle bolt will at the very best, be under strain and a slight bend. This will require looser than normal spindle bushings to allow for the bend, and as for the effect over time that stress has on the bolt...time will tell.

There really is a reason for the Stevens frame, and a Forum search is all but mandatory to see how the thing was originally used.
Scott Conger

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:38 pm

One nice thing about the Stevens Front Axle tool is you can fix the axle on the car. No need to remove it. Dan

robertw413

Post by robertw413 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:32 pm

To Robert or anyone else considering purchasing just a reamer: you absolutely MUST be sure you can fixture the upper hole and reamer perfectly in line with the lower threaded hole in the axle. Anything other than perfect, and the spindle bolt will at the very best, be under strain and a slight bend. This will require looser than normal spindle bushings to allow for the bend, and as for the effect over time that stress has on the bolt...time will tell.

There really is a reason for the Stevens frame, and a Forum search is all but mandatory to see how the thing was originally used.
Scott you are absolutely right that is why i built a stevens frame

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:32 pm

excellent!

good luck!
Scott Conger

Topic author
Chris Bamford

Post by Chris Bamford » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:58 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. Much appreciated.

Very informative, as was the video linked in Dan Hatch's classified advert.

Point taken about the importance that the tooling be set up correctly and in line top-and-bottom.

I'm confident my very clever and experienced machinist friend would be able to set up accurately to do this task without the Steven's frame. We'll review the info and video to ensure he shares that confidence.

Dan, email sent.

TrentB
First Name: Trent
Last Name: Boggess

Post by TrentB » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:42 pm

Years ago before Dan Hatch was making reproduction reamers for the Stevens Axle Bushing Jig, I made my own. For the top bushing reamer, I started with an automotive ball joint reamer and cut the length of the fluted down so it would fit in the frame. The ball joint reamer cuts the hole to a 1-1/2” per foot taper or about a 7 degree angle. I had to make my own top bushings with the 7 degree angle, which was OK because top bushings and bottom inserts were not available then either.

For the lower threaded bushing I started with a stub length 9/16” drill and turned the shank down to 1/2” so it would fit in the Stevens frame. This forms the pilot hole for a 5/8”x24 tap which came with a 1/2” diameter shank so it fit the Stevens frame. The inserts were, like the top bushings, made on my South Bend 9 lathe. They were threaded 5/8-24 on the outside and standard 1/2x20 on the inside. The top of the insert has to be relieved a bit to allow the spindle bolt to enter it.

These tools worked pretty well for me, and they were used to save a couple of scarce early front axles. Later on I bought a set of Dan’s reproduction reamers, probably from Lang’s, and have used them and the new top and bottom bushings since.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess
48E103EB-4A7A-4066-8B76-3CCDD249848C.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic