Starter ring gear

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
garyl
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Leck

Starter ring gear

Post by garyl » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:46 pm

This is the first model t I’ve ever been around. I’m learning! Been a tractor mechanic 40 plus years. In rebuilding engine and transmission, I decided to change the ring gear . Old one is questionable and I’m only doing this once. New ring gear fits loose on flywheel. Should it fit tight along with the the brass magnet screws to hold it?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Starter ring gear

Post by speedytinc » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:52 pm

The ring gear is not a press fit. The fit varies from a drop on & tap. I would describe as snug. The brass magnet screws do all the holding.

Topic author
garyl

Post by garyl » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:19 pm

This new ring gear is loose on the flywheel. I’m afraid that over time the screws will loosen from stretching and then break!

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:31 pm

The flywheel may have been run with a loose ring gear. It might be helpful to get everything perfectly clean, then apply LocTite to the flywheel rim and ring gear ID, then install.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:42 pm

Welcome to the Model T world! While you have the engine apart BE SURE to install a rewound magneto ring. Also make sure the oil funnel fits flush and away from the flywheel.

Setting the mag /transmission clearance can be a bit tricky. When doing it be sure to try to get the same clearance all the way around. Shims work for that. When assembling the transmission to the engine you will probably do it on a engine stand in vertical position.

When turning the engine to horizontal position check the mag clearance again. Remember there may be a slight sag caused by the transmission weight. That’s often overlooked. That can be corrected by adding shims to compensate for it. Good luck and as in any old engine there are some things that’s unique in putting them together! Model T’s are no exception!

Topic author
garyl

Post by garyl » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. Cat makes a bearing lock liquid that I may use. Every ring gear I ever installed needed to be heated to install and cooled to a really tight fit, nothing else held it.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:04 pm

Ford went to the heat to install type when the Model A came out.
If yours is really loose, might get a better flywheel. There are loads of them out there.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

speedytinc
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring

Post by speedytinc » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:18 pm

garyl wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:55 pm
Thanks for the replies. Cat makes a bearing lock liquid that I may use. Every ring gear I ever installed needed to be heated to install and cooled to a really tight fit, nothing else held it.
Thats what I figured you were thinking. (shrink fit wise) A drop on fit is not out of the ordinary. More slop than that would concern me also. I would not want any side movement when installed. These gears are of new manufacture & may not be made to the proper dimensions. I have been using up old, replacement inventory & have not installed todays, newest batch. (you know, the ones with the WRONG thread size)

The first ring gear/flywheel sets had counter bored holes & hollow pins to help secure the ring to the flywheel every 90 degrees. The magnet screws went thru the center of these hollow pins. This didnt last long. The extra cost must have been deemed unnecessary. Failure of all the screws is pretty rare, unless one re-used old, marginal screws.

If you are overly concerned & have the capability, pinning the ring gear as originally done would make for a fool proof attachment. I recently salvaged a late flywheel that had the ring gear brazed to the flywheel in 4 places.

speedytinc

Post by speedytinc » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:21 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:04 pm
Ford went to the heat to install type when the Model A came out.
If yours is really loose, might get a better flywheel. There are loads of them out there.
The problem might be in the tolerance of the ring gear. Another flywheel may make no difference. If you look carefully where the ring gear fits, you will be able to see any wear from running loose.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:44 pm

In reply to your fear of the screws coming loose, once you have the screws tight, they will protrude just a bit from the ring gear. You need to slightly peen them to prevent them from backing out. They don't need to be mashed like a rivet, just distorted enough to make removal difficult.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:58 pm

On drop on ring gears, and there was a bad batch mad several years ago, I have just drilled and taped in 4 spacings, 1/2 in ring gear and fly wheel, and fitted locktite grub screws. that takes any worry away from extra stress on the brass screws.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic