Transmission Help

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
wmscottsutherland
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Sutherland

Transmission Help

Post by wmscottsutherland » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:39 pm

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I am going to get. I have searched for info but not found what I think I want or need.

To Start: I am new to the T world. I dove in head first and I am confident I will be successful. :D

I would enjoy a suggestion to read about the transmission/engine either online or book.

This is a 19 engine in a 25 roadster. The goal is to the current block with a 25 and put it back in the roadster with a correct 25 bed (Yes I have the bed).
20221129_151750.jpg
I got the hogs head off today and I am some what unsure of the next steps. This is what I am thinking:

1) remove oil pan to get complete access to the transmission.
2) Take apart the transmission.
3) Use electrolysis to remove rust. The engine/transmission was a major mouse nest over the years.
4) ***** This is where I need help. What should be replaced no matter what, what should be inspected and how.

Any help or input is considered valuable to me.

AgaIn, Thanks for your help.

Scott

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Transmission Help

Post by George House » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:11 pm

..just take everything up to Scott Conger in Clark WY....
...seriously, if I understand your request; you have a mouse nest of a T motor and want to make it operable, huh ? Remove the pan. Remove the transmission. Remove the mag field coil. Get the MTFCA engine and transmission booklets and get to inspecting: internal oil line, pistons, cylinders and babbit...welcome to Model T owner/driver world of fun. Now take it all to Scott 😜
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:13 pm

Hi Scott!
Your asking the right questions since your new to Model T’s! Go to the resources page on this website and go to the parts suppliers. There you can purchase the Ford Service manual and other manuals for the different aspect of a T. There is one for the transmission, differential, and everything else. There also is a wealth of information about parts and etc in their parts catalogs. Also Lang’s has exploded views about what you need.

You will need to know about what NOT to do when taking the engine and transmission apart.

Others will give you some information as you need it here on the forum. But do get the Ford service manual and other T publications that are available. They can save you much time and headaches when you can know exactly what your doing.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:20 pm

Get out your T1 service manual. Read thru the section on disassembly & rebuilding the transmission several times. Milt Webb produced an excellent/comprehensive book on the subject. You can trust the information he tomed.

There is no single part that is always replaced. There are quite a few that typically need replacing.

A proper rebuild cant be done by a typical hobbyist. There are several machinist type operations involved that require equipment. These operations will need to be farmed out. As you tear it down, you can compare the specs in the rebuild process to determine what must be replaced. Look up this topic on the forum. A well known re builder/machine shop posted the restoration procedure.

Get the proper pullers. Dont risk breaking drums by poor disassembly.

I tear every thing down & soak individually in carb cleaner. Then bead blast everything. Do not bead blast anything that moves, like the 3 fingers of the drive plate or bushings. Manually clean with a wire wheel. Wash the blasted parts in solvent. In the process any drum cracks will show themselves. Debur gears & polish shafts. Now clean, you can determine bushing wear with feeler gauges.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:02 pm

In addition to the MTFCA Books and the Service Manual, there is a very good website set up by Mike Bender and Bill Howell: http://modelt-tips.com/
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
wmscottsutherland
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Sutherland

Post by wmscottsutherland » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:42 pm

WOW, I watched the videos concerning the transmission rebuild. I am thinking the rebuild is way better than the original build. I just do not see the same care taken in the rebuild as in the original build.

I am thinking of just taking the tran apart, cleaning it and put it back together. Of course plenty of marks and wire to keep everything that comes apart going back together the same way. I know this is opening myself up to possible issues down the line. so talk me out of it. :D :D

I did order the books suggested and will read those first. It cold in the garage so I have time.

Thanks
Scott

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:43 pm

The work of taking apart and putting back together should not be wasted. Between taking and putting should be looking. Inspect all parts carefully and see if anything needs replacing. Pedal ramps are often worn badly. Original reverse drums are more often cracked than not. Magnets are sometimes cracked. If the bands could use new linings,it's easiest while they're out. While you have it apart you might as well charge the magnets. How is the coil ring? If the insulation is deteriorated and brittle the coil ring should be replaced or rewound. There's a lot to do, and it may seem to take forever, but it ain't rocket surgery.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

J and M Machine
First Name: John
Last Name: Gulbankian

Post by J and M Machine » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:00 pm

I would listen to what Mr.Jelf Says as just cleaning it isn't doing the transmission justice.
The drums may be cracked along with magnets and the triple gears may be toast along with the pins.
What you may not see will hurt you and the engine.
Attachments
PA170055.JPG
IMG_6355.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:46 pm

So you are new to model t's. It is Tim to gt you hands dirty and see what you can learn. Everyone had to start without any experience and learn. You possibly have some t friends in your area that you can also ask questions.
Get a book from the MTFCA on engine rebuilding and transmission rebuilding and they make good reference books you will use for years to come. Take pictures, clean and inspect parts, take measurements,you can learn a lot.
Diesel fuel put on a cleaned part and then wiped dry will reveal cracks as it will seep out of cracks. If you are not familiar or do not know to use a caliper or dial indicator it is a good time to learn. You can get both at Harbor Freight or off Amazon and not break the bank.
When you are done with the tear down and inspection and do not feel you want to do the rebuild you can still take it to Scott Conger at Clark. In the meantime you will have learned a lot of what's inside the PowerPoint and how it operates.
Some of your local t friends may have pullers or tools you can borrow.
Good luck and enjoy.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:53 am

Scott, Gene French may also be able to help you. Gene is in Nunn, CO just south of you on HWY 85. You can find him by clicking "Extra Quick Links" in the upper right of this forum.

Gen3AntiqueAuto
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Foye
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Fordor, 15 speedster (2), 23 touring, 26 fordor, 25 TT
MTFCA Number: 292
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 106
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Gen3AntiqueAuto » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:22 am

I tore into a transmission on camera, went over the process, polished the drums various ways, explained and rebuilt a hogshead, and tried electrolosis as well. Take a look --> youtube.com/@whatthedevil You want the playlist named "Model T".

wmscottsutherland wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:39 pm
Thanks in advance for all the help I know I am going to get. I have searched for info but not found what I think I want or need.

To Start: I am new to the T world. I dove in head first and I am confident I will be successful. :D

I would enjoy a suggestion to read about the transmission/engine either online or book.

This is a 19 engine in a 25 roadster. The goal is to the current block with a 25 and put it back in the roadster with a correct 25 bed (Yes I have the bed).

20221129_151750.jpg

I got the hogs head off today and I am some what unsure of the next steps. This is what I am thinking:

1) remove oil pan to get complete access to the transmission.
2) Take apart the transmission.
3) Use electrolysis to remove rust. The engine/transmission was a major mouse nest over the years.
4) ***** This is where I need help. What should be replaced no matter what, what should be inspected and how.

Any help or input is considered valuable to me.

AgaIn, Thanks for your help.

Scott
Gen III Antique Auto - we do Model T Ford Restorations

You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want -Zig Z.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeROBg ... pB-KImprjw

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic