Time to change from open cars to a Coupe

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Roger Byrne
First Name: Roger
Last Name: Byrne
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo Open Runabout, 1914 Touring, 1912 Speedster (in progress) 1927 Touring
MTFCA Number: 8127

Time to change from open cars to a Coupe

Post by Roger Byrne » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:47 pm

The ad I had in the classifieds was deleted do to scammers. Thanks for the comments about changes from open to closed cars.
Last edited by Roger Byrne on Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Preserving Mechanical History for Future Generations since 1965

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Time to change from open cars to a Coupe

Post by TWrenn » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:51 pm

If I may, I'd like to suggest you consider a sedan, preferably a Fordor. If you ever want "company" and even a place to store the wife's purse, jackets, maybe even a small cooler for drinks or snacks you'll be glad you did.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:02 pm

Sound advice Tim. You can never have enough room for stuff in a T. Sharing the experience with passengers makes it an even better experience. My wife really likes ourTudor. When just the two of us are touring, she sits in the roomy back seat, and I am the liveried driver!

Allan from down under.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:26 pm

I agree with Tim

My dad's first T was a 22 coupe and I always felt it was quite confining.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:36 pm

Allan wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:02 pm
Sound advice Tim. You can never have enough room for stuff in a T. Sharing the experience with passengers makes it an even better experience. My wife really likes ourTudor. When just the two of us are touring, she sits in the roomy back seat, and I am the liveried driver!

Allan from down under.
Talk about someone loving the backseat! This was my beloved Lab/Pit Millie's favorite spot and thing to do...ride in the backseat of the Fordor with her daddy. She's gone over the rainbow Bridge now. :( Sure miss her and those rides.
Attachments
Millieselfie .jpg

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:37 pm

Wow something happened to that pic!!
Maybe Millie doesn't want her picture shown!

Tadpole
First Name: Tad
Last Name: Glahn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe, 1926 TT Closed Cab, 1924 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 51667
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Tadpole » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:40 pm

A sedan is good advice on getting the most space out of a closed T. I have to say though, to my eyes nearly every car looks best as a black coupe. But I’m a bachelor with no friends so that effects perspective!

Topic author
Roger Byrne
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo Open Runabout, 1914 Touring, 1912 Speedster (in progress) 1927 Touring

Post by Roger Byrne » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:18 pm

Thanks for the comments but I've had a Sedan and a 25 Coupe in the past, and they are not what I'm looking for. I have a T touring and a Model A sedan to haul friends around. The 1919-23 are the roomiest of the T coupes so that is what will best fit our needs now.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:28 pm

I’m in a similar situation and I am building a 26 coupe. I am tall (6’4) and I don’t bend as well anymore! The significant advantage of the coupe is that the seat can be moved back significantly. A good friend of mine has done this and I have sat in it and like it.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:31 pm

My suggestions. If there are not many steep hills a sedan would be cozy in cold or wet weather. However on hills (if stock) they are the heaviest cars and can have fuel problems unless traveling with a nearly full tank. Also check the exhaust system and and also for crankcase fumes which tend to come through the floorboards. It is best to travel with the windows opened at least a crack to let in fresh air and also to help keep the windshield from misting over from the breath.
Norm

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:16 pm

I assume you do not do FB, but maybe you have someone in the family that could for you. Dairyland Tin Lizzies is close for you and maybe a member there would consider your offer. Or post on Model T Ford Club of Facebook.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:21 pm

Hi Roger, I saw your '11 Torpedo while we were on the Rochester, MN national tour some years ago, and it is a very nice car. Just curious, but is it an original car, or built with available reproduction parts?
Thanks,
Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Topic author
Roger Byrne

Post by Roger Byrne » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:06 pm

Keith, this is not an original car. It has a Rootlieb body/fenders, Brassworks radiator and re-wooded wheels. The engine is an April 1912 (#151XXX) production, the differential/chassis, windshield and misc parts seem to date to the same period. Like MOST of these you see around, it is a put-to-gether. When I got the car it was very nice and since I've owned it, I've replace some of the repro parts with originals as I've found them along with correcting a few other issues. Bob Peterson acquired an ORIGINAL 1911 Torpedo Open Runabout a few years ago and I've compared a few thing to make mine more correct.

Dave, no I'm not on Facebook but you make a good point. I'm in no hurry to to make a deal now so I'll just leave the information on this forum. However next spring if nothing has worked out, I'll have a friend do what you suggest and put it on Facebook.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:09 pm

We enjoyed open Ts for several years before we finished the Tudor. It is great especially for cool weather and young kids don't fall out the rear doors. Joy and I enjoy our coupe now. It and the Tudor have heaters which take the chill off. I like the rear visibility as the Tudor has some blind spots. The only drawback is seating with the Coupe. Winters get colder as I get older and bundling up in the open cars isn't as exciting.
Rich
When did I do that?

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:07 pm

I'm with you!! I got tired of missing out on club events because of the cars I have/had. I was stuck on open cars and that is all I've had for years. In T's (I've had 6 touring) and a beautiful 12 Hack (a permanent keeper). I also have a 27 Marmon E-75 4 passenger speedster (for sure a keeper). Because all the cars were open and some like the Hack and Marmon are "fair" weather cars we often didn't attend or dropped out of our club tours because of rain or the threat of rain. So last year I located a 25 T coupe near me. It is a driver (after a little TLC). The coupe is tour tested and a pleasure to be able to participate with the club events in rain/cold.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic