New Jersey vehicle history

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

New Jersey vehicle history

Post by Chris Haynes » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:21 pm

Is it possible to search a Model T's history in New Jersey?

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: New Jersey vehicle history

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:07 am

You could try CARFAX but whatever you try will require a VIN number not just an engine serial number unless that was used & accepted as the VIN on the NJ Title.

VIN numbers are a single unique International identifier in a database of every highway & off-road vehicle ever Titled. First establish in 1954 there was no standard and each manufacturer created there own. In the early days States used a combination of separate fields to ID a vehicle (Manufacture, Year, Model & serial number) in their file system. Many vehicles titled prior to 1954 just used the number on the title when re-titled unless it already existed. The current VIN isn't just a number but a smart encoding schema of 17 letters & numbers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_i ... ion_number
So when Model T owners go to Title one for the first time they usually incur some resistance from the DMV clerk who doesn't know the history about vehicle identification. Again, since its a unique identified some Model T owners have a VIN containing only a serial number since it is unique to the International system.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:21 am

Ford had Model T manufacturing plants in the Kearney - Jersey City waterfront area, and also in the Philadelphia-Chester waterfront area .
Last edited by Moxie26 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Paulsen
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Paulsen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Touring, 1914 Pickup
MTFCA Number: 29356

Post by Chris Paulsen » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:29 am

If it is an existing car, you may have luck posting photos and any information you have on this forum to see if anyone knows the car.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:35 am

I’m not educated enough to give a full answer because it is NJ and you might get a 50 year employee at DMV, you might get someone’s cousin who started last week.

My first answer to you would be ‘probably not’ based on personal experience. Want to have fun? Walk in with an older paper title/bill of sale, the brownish one…they all go doe eyed and try to send you away with a ‘call Trenton’ excuse. The digits on a model t serial number do not ‘fit’ their computer screen. They have to enter nulls but they don’t know whether they should be leading or trailing…there was a time there needed to be an alpha ‘start’ digit in older software digits so apparently everybody giggled at the counter and picked a random one ( I have an 8 digit serial one that the title starts with ‘T’ to make the 9 alpha/numeric rule at the time.)

This all then makes it pretty impossible on a go back unless you find someone who knows what was generally what through the decades…yet I doubt you’ll get too far back!

Good luck, but don’t get stuck in a rabbit hole!

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:58 am

I don’t know about NJ but here in Texas the DMV records only go back 25 years. That’s what I was told when I got my 21 Touring titled since the original was long lost. The only reason I had to go to the DMV was to check to see if the car was stolen.
If a car wasn’t passed down through the family or only a 2nd or 3rd owner you may be ought of luck about any history is concerned.

I inherited my Grandfathers 24 Coupe in 1959 and the title he had stated it was bought from the previous owner in 1942. Before that we don’t know any more but that.

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:04 am

At one time states would archive vehicle registration records. Even publish a yearly report as to the issuance of registration licenses. Too, local county governments would issue their own vehicle registration.

But for what ever reason, vehicles, were not treated the same as land/real-estate ownership, where a title (deed) for a plot of land could be tracked back many years...

Pennsylvania for example, till the Flood of 1972, maintained vehicle registration back to the beginning of the use of the motor car. But the flood of 1972 destroyed the old stuff.

It is possible to trace ownership with in the DMV, but not for the very old vehicle, unless it was of significant importance.

The one possible approach is to as past owners, if know, what they know of the history of a vehicle. It may have flaws, but it is a start.

And now that every record is digitized, the early paper records are not in a computer some where, and Carfax is not going to help.

Example Pennsylvania:

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Pages/FAQ%20Page ... tions.aspx

2. How do I obtain a copy of my vehicle record?
You may request a copy of a record for a vehicle titled in Pennsylvania. Form DL-135 'Request for Vehicle Information' is required.

The name and address of the current owner, vehicle identification number (VIN), title, and the license plate number will appear on the record. Also, the vehicle make, model and year will appear on the record. More information can be provided if specifically requested on the form.

Forms are available online for downloading and at any messenger service office or any Driver and Vehicle Service Center location.

Ed Fuller
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Fuller
MTFCA Number: 29582
MTFCI Number: 22818
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ed Fuller » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:34 pm

No. New Jersey Motor Vehicles does not keep historical records.

marctee
First Name: Marc
Last Name: hall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by marctee » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:16 am

To all new jerseans first , im putting up my 1924 touring up for sale. im by union nj. Please lmk if anybody interested . Asking $8.500. Brand new radiator , ($985.00). Carwas all redone, new seats etc. Pm me and we make arrangements . Thanks.

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:56 am

Some states have archived motor vehicle registration records but they are not housed with the respective department of motor vehicles. Instead, the are with the state historical societies. They may also be in the hands of private collectors.

For example, the Minnesota Historical Society has the original hand-posted motor vehicle ledgers from 1909 through 1914. Minnesota motor vehicle registrations were also published in the newspaper "Finance and Commerce" through approximately 1920. There were also public motor vehicle registration directories for the Twin Cities and the State of Minnesota, similar to a telephone directory and my father, who is a collector of early Minnesota license plates, has some of these in his collection.

The South Dakota and Wisconsin historical societies have early motor vehicle registrations in their archives.

As far as New Jersey is concerned, your best bet is to get in touch with a collector of early New Jersey license plates and see what types of records and publications are available and where they are archived and how they may be accessed.

When antique cars are bought and sold, there seems to be many cases of failure of buyers to ask simple questions or sellers to pass-on information and records to subsequent owners.

Fortunately for my father and me, we know the histories of our antique cars.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:00 pm

So called VIN numbers are now international meaning that there is a database in the "cloud" keeping track of ownership and accident reports. Since such history didn't start till after 1981 it is unlikely that any information prior to that , other than that of a title that has not been revised. Now when you say "history" I assume you mean past owners. That is unlikely to add any value to you car, even if a famous name would pop up, lots of people have the name name of someone famous. So why are you interested in the research. You may find out something you wish you didn't know.
Documented provenance (the history of the car written down with pictures and dates) is what adds value. Then this can be transferred from owner to owner and maintained.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic