Softening old tires

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Softening old tires

Post by Harry Lillo » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:11 am

I have a set of almost new Firestones clinchers that have been mounted for
10 to 15 years. They came on a chassis I purchased a couple years back.
I demounted two so far and the rubber is hard.
I am familiar with heating to soften them enough to mount and demount.
Wintergreen and alcohol seems to work on smaller pieces as well.
Has anyone tried soaking them in warm water then freezing them?
There is some literature that suggests this may work?
With our 15 below F temperatures tomorrow freezing should not present an
issue for step two.
Thoughts?
Harry Lillo Calgary

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Softening old tires

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:57 am

I'd be very cautious about using any kind of solvent to soften a tire. Using heat up to 145 F should cause no problems so long as it is evenly applied. It takes a long time for heat to fully penetrate a tire. It's been my experience that any oil or solvent that softens rubber also degrades it. Solvents are particularly destructive. A rubber item that has been softened with solvent usually dries out and stiffens as the solvent evaporates. "Rubber" is used to describle a wide variety of materials with a wide variety of properties. I'd stick with mild heat and use a tire mounting lubricant designed for the purpose. Most tire makers recommend that a new tire be used within 6 years of manufacture. If you need to soften a dried out old tire and do not intend to re-use the tire, applying lots of waterless hand cleaner containing lanolin over a period of days may soften it up. I would not use a tire that had been softened using hand cleaner or anything else except mild heat as described above.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:11 am

I cannot imagine how freezing would be the least bit helpful. Summertime temperatures and direct sunlight work best in my experience. I would think those tubes will still be good, and better than some you can buy today new.

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:13 am

In Florida we just leave them out in the blacktop driveway. On a good day they get almost too hot to handle!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:08 am

My experience with a set of NOS New Zealand Firestones tells me you may be disappointed if you use your old tires for actual driving. Those NOS tires came out of the original wrappers looking brand new, factory fresh. They were gorgeous. Country roads ate them up PDQ. I didn't get 500 miles out of them.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:44 am

If the are only 10-15 years old and real stiff they may not be all that good. I don’t know for sure but age makes a difference. Maybe they were older when they were mounted.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:47 am

Storage conditions can make a lot of difference in how a tire ages.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:30 pm

You don't mention whether or not the rims are de-mountable, but either way, I would suggest that you get a large tub of water, larger than the wheel and heat it up to almost boiling and then submerge the whole tire and rim and even the wheel if not de-mountable. keep the water hot. Maybe need a barbecue grill or other outdoor source of heat to keep it hot. Leave for an hour or two. Then try to remove. If you are going to discard the tire, you might even need to saw it up. Just be careful not to damage the rim if you saw. Let the rim dry out before you mount a new tire. I would suggest that you don't drive on them but replace them.
Norm

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:16 pm

I suggest removing the valve core before applying any heat to a mounted tire. A couple of squirts of dish detergent added to water will help it pentrate rust.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:12 pm

I would suggest that if you want to continue to drive on those tires, that you leave them on and keep the pressure to about 60 psi. I had an old one which I kept for the spare and bought new ones made in Viet Nam. The rubber valve stem on my old spare blew up like a balloon, so I replaced the inner tube. It was a very hard job, but with several tire irons and my son to help, we got it done. This was done in the summer, so it was probably around 80 degrees here.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic