Remembering the Tudor Project ('25)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Remembering the Tudor Project ('25)

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:59 pm

I ran across this photo today. It was taken in 1979 while mocking up the pieces of my 24-25 Tudor. I had forgotten the excitement of the prospect of having a closed car after a dozen years of open Ts. We were expecting and thought a Sedan would be better for the baby to ride in. However, he was graduating from High Scholl before we got the Tudor on the road. We have enjoyed the car since then and our Grandchildren benefit from the shelter.
RTudor.jpg
RTudor3.jpg
RTudor2.jpg
It was before wood kits were available and the bottom 4" of wood was missing or badly rotted. Pictures from the Body book and what remained from 3 Tudors helped the puzzle along. Choices of sheet metal varied from rusted out to badly bent up. (Oh, and bullet holes too) I searched for one door for years. I had two for the other side. We take the car for granted now but I always have enjoy seeing better ones for sale since.
Just Remembering,
Rich
When did I do that?

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Remembering the Tudor Project ('25)

Post by KeithG » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:50 pm

Rich, you do really nice work!!! Your paintings are amazing & often hard to tell that they're not photo's. These pictures of your '24 show that you do really good wood work also.
Cheers,
Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:25 am

Ditto to what Keith said Rich. Great job on that car and great paintings! I don't have that kind of skill.

Topic author
Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:01 pm

Thanks Keith and Tim.
There were some clever and generous folks in the hobby when I started, and I learned a lot from watching them. I enjoy the same kind of people here on the forum now. There is so much to see and enjoy. These projects are full of challenges and fun to overcome.
The passenger seat is unusual in that it cantilevers without any support at the rear. I worried than it might be weak as I found a couple broken frames. However, we have load tested it several times and it is plenty strong. The window mechanisms are odd and hard to find parts for, but I was able to make them functional.
TudorSeatRizr.jpg
I wanted authentic rain gutters, so I tooled up and made some.
download/file.php?id=11899&mode=view
Also, the Bakelite was cracked on the outside door handles. I had the ends plated and then used good old Bondo painted black.
download/file.php?id=3956&mode=view It's held up well for 20 some years.
TudorGtrzHndlz.jpg
I was fortunate to find a heater manifold, so I made a new shroud. I also had to make a suitable hot air pipe to go with it.
TudorHtr.jpg
When did I do that?

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:04 pm

Speaking of the Tudor, we have been driving an old car to our car club dinner banquet for 50 some years now. It used to be popular to take an old car out for it but this year we were the only ones to bring an oldie. It's kind of sad.
Banqut1.jpg
Cars 25 years old are eligible yet they did not show up. Still, it was fun to see everyone and share in the Christmas Fun.
Banqut2.jpg
I was given this great old book by a non-T'er. Having the oldest cars often brings good things my way.
I had never seen or heard of it. Copyright 1954.
Pete.jpg
Another year.
Rich
When did I do that?

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Rich, your skills are only matched by your perseverance. I remember when we discovered a Tudor panel or two in the sagebrush above Lorna's house . . . the resurrection of this beautiful T is a great accomplishment. The old car hobby has certainly seen a lot of changes in the past sixty years. We're lucky to have seen them.
Get a horse !

Nathan Pederson
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Pederson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Touring, Coupe, Roadster, Ton Truck, Chariot
MTFCA Number: 51087

Post by Nathan Pederson » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:34 pm

The Tudor is impressive to say the least.
Rich, have you ever been called a perfectionist? :D
Great car!

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:10 pm

Like many of us, Nathan, I know where the imperfections are that don't show up in photographs. I've never had a perfect car but then most folks don't look that close. Thanks for saying it though.
Rich, I'm remembering the Tudor at the Hatch place in the '60s I was bold enough to climb into amongst the tires and spare parts. The inner ambiance certainly etched into my mind. It would have been the greatest car to restore. Those were the best of times for sure. Things have changed much from those days. It's fun to look back. Much of my memory has stayed with me as I have lost the rest of my mind. :lol:
Not having the funds to buy whole cars back then did give me the opportunity to learn many skills which I can appreciate now.
Thanks again
Rich
I will retell the story of the fairly complete Runabout you found for me. We traded bodies (a Touring) and I refurbished it as well as a 15-year-old could at the time. When we went to title it the lady at the DMV asked what body it was.
"Touring" I said.
After a blank look she asked. "Does it have 2 doors or 4 doors"?
"Three" I told her.
She was getting perturbed now. "Does it have just a front seat or a front seat and a back seat"?
"Front and back seat"
"OK, It's a Sedan".
I like to tell folks I built the Tudor body so the tile would be correct. :lol:
We were lucky that an officer verifying the motor number was all the inspection required back then. We had no title.
When did I do that?

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:32 pm

Rich, I remember the Hatch cars. At the time, I thought, what luck to find them in such amazing condition ! Nowadays I sometimes ponder the huge difference between cars 30 to 38 years old in 1963 and today. I suppose there are folks who can get excited over a 1993 car in good condition ?

The quest for a title certainly was different 60 years ago. Mr. Barton gave me a bill of sale handwritten on note paper. The only qualifying reference was the motor serial number. I presented it to the county assessor who collected the $3.50 fee from me, and not long after, the title came in the mail.
Get a horse !

1925 Touring
First Name: Austin
Last Name: Farmer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring

Post by 1925 Touring » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:41 am

What type of wood did you use in the body?
The future of our hobby does not depend as much on youth, but on the future of internal combustion.
The past is only simple because hindsight is 20/20.

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:15 pm

Austin, I was using oak for the wood in bodies at that time because I could get it in thicker sizes. I have since been convinced ash is a better choice and glue up 4 quarter pieces to the correct thickness. I have seen no problems with the oak and recall one model T wood kit supplier advertising their kits were oak in the '70s. I like ash and poplar and it is a bit less expensive. I rewooded my '22 Coupe using Douglas fir 2 x 4s. It was easy to work but does not hold nails and screws as well and has split and rotted a bit over the 10 years it has lived outside.
Tudorwood2.jpg
Tudorwood1.jpg
I would not use light primer again as any scratches show up more. However, they are easy to tell where they are for touching up.
Rich
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic