New movie in theaters December 23rd

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:16 pm

Opening screening of new movie, entitled. "Babylon " in most theatres on December 23rd.... Has a 1920's theme and several Model T's.... Saw info on our local TV, keep a eye open for future movie house screenings in your area.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: New movie in theaters December 23rd

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:06 pm

The film is set in Hollywood during the transition from silents to talking pictures (1927-1930). Judging from the trailer it includes a mid-thirties Duesy, and faithfully recreates the look of 2021. It should be interesting.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Tourabout
First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Price

Post by Tourabout » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:33 am

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115

Post by George House » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:24 am

Also the movie ‘1923’ starring Harrison Ford debuts on 18 December. Check out its trailer....
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:35 pm

The Duesenberg that Brad Pitt’s character drives in the movie
was personally selected by him from several cars provided
to him to choose from by The Volo Museum:

CCB188D1-6D4A-466D-AAA9-7BF55D9E0584.jpeg

It was rented for the filming

My friend Greg Grams and The Volo Museum
routinely supply vehicles to movie sets.

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Topic author
Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:12 pm

Can't wait till next Friday, I'll have the extra large popcorn with extra butter !

sweet23
First Name: Darryl
Last Name: Bobzin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2, '25 T Runabouts, '14 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27211
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by sweet23 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:28 pm

Watched the trailer, dont think I could sit through two hours of that nasty Hollyweird garbage just to see a couple old cars on the big screen. Not for me, no thanks. Darryl

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:52 pm

Don’t I’ll be interested in the Babylon movie either. There is enough of that stuff going on in the last 2 years and that’s enough for me.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115

Post by George House » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:58 pm

I watched the trailer too. Movie misnamed. Should be Sodom and Gomorrah....no thanks...looking forward to ‘1923’ tho...😁
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:01 pm

I go nuts with these programs. Recent first episode of Interview With the Vampire circa 1910 or so. Model T pick up with a Ford bed rolls by (‘26/‘27 ?) and a few obviously ( to me ) parked cars that were way ahead of the supposed time being shown. Then the T rolls by again. Any one remember Cliff Robertson as Henry Ford? Shows off his home made gas engine to Cora in their kitchen and it has a Briggs and Stratton flywheel on it. As to the cars again: I believe they are just getting hard to find and a lot of folks just don’t know any better.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:18 pm

I wouldn't mind a bit of Hollywood degeneracy if it was period correct, but the Babylon trailer suggests that history will receive the kind of brutal beating traditionally rendered in the movies. Buster Keaton told his set decorator that he wanted The General to look so much like the Civil War that it hurt. The result looks like Brady photographs come to life. There have been later period films, like the recent Till, that got it right, but they are in a distinct minority.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by Dan Haynes » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:55 pm

I rented a car to the production of "Babylon" and feel obligated to see it, just to see the car on the screen if for no other reason. The car is still in Burbank until the Holiday Motor Excursion on Dec. 31, I'll go down with the trailer and drive the HME, then bring the car home.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Topic author
Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:44 pm

I know it's a holiday time, but has anyone seen the new Babylon movie yet, ????

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:34 am

I saw the Babylon film
Anyone who sees it needs to recognize that the POINT of the film is the absolutely free-wheeling situation that Hollywood was in when the movie industry was getting started. It was total chaos, with procedures being made up as they went along.

There IS a lot of debauchery in the movie, but it should NOT be considered gratuitous. Rather, it was a clear reflection of how things actually happened at the time. I can say that, having done a LOT of research on early film stars, including how extravagant their lives became, and how sad and short many of their lives wound up being.

Every major scene in that movie is based on a real, documented event that actually happened. Most of the names have been changed, but the situations are easily recognizable.

Something else to keep in mind is the use of drugs and alcohol during the 1920's. Cocaine itself was NOT outlawed until 1922, and even after that it was commonly prescribed as a medicinal drug until into the 1940's. At the time of this film, there were no studio fixers yet, to save reputations and hide arrests and scandalous behavior. Those didn't come until the 1930's. when studios had to protect their stars and the studio reputations, even if they had to pay off the police and the judges. There was no "Hays Code" in place to clean up behavior, drug use, and nudity in films. That didn't happen until the 1930's, and I have seen many films from before that time that would be considered unacceptable today. (The Hays Code is the reason that in crime films, the criminals ALWAYS had to pay for their crimes. and it was illegal for a movie to ever show them as getting away with a crime.)

If they were just going for shock value, they could have included the true event where a new actress who was filming in San Antonio, in one of the public parks, was incinerated while sitting in her car in between movie shots, when a lit cigarette fell into her lap, and her Civil-War era costume ignited in a flash of flame, turning her into a fireball right in the vehicle. She died the next morning from her burns. I don't consider this movie to be excessive by any stretch of the imagination. They actually only cover events that really made the news at the time.

The scenes where they are converting from silent pictures to sound pictures is particularly grueling, and was based on things that really happened. I found the scene where the female "Gossip Columnist" (based on a real Hollywood gossip maven) gives a stern lecture to Brad Pitt about why his career is finished, is particularly touching.

I never expect antique cars to be accurate. They use cars that are available, and only a few people can even see the mistakes. The one BIG one that caught my eye was how they drove the Model T's. I was just waiting for one of them to roll over. I really don't know how they kept them all upright, being as a Model T center of gravity is so high, Anyone who has a Model T will be clenching their armrests during those scenes.

If you are easily offended, don't go see this movie. It is factually accurate, and drawn true to life for the early movie industry. A lot of it IS offensive, but no one is asking you to LIKE what happened, just like there is no laugh track in the movie "Schindler's List"

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:20 am

Movie stars seem to be a little more stable these days, and the fame/fortune/ madness/early death syndrome seems to afflict "Rap" and "Influencer" types more than it does movie stars.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:08 pm

The only thing that’s changed from way back when to the present is the cars. It’s just more sophisticated than it used to be.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:56 pm

STARS! (SWANSON).jpg
1915 Runabout