Flushing old oil?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
colonelpowers
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Powers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor

Flushing old oil?

Post by colonelpowers » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:59 pm

I finally got the 26 running like it should after setting for about 40 years in a shed. I probably should have changed the oil before I started working on it but I wasn't sure if I would have to rebuild the engine so I just added some oil to bring it up and let it go until I saw what happened. The engine has ran about 2 hours in total and when I was adjusting the brake band today I noticed the oil was a little milky. I doubt that it is from coolant since I have kept a check on the radiator and the level hasn't changed and the coolant is clean. I am thinking that old oil and decades of condensation is the culprit, or at least that is my hope. I remember an old man telling me years ago that when he had a service station back in the 50s that when they did an oil change that they would drain the oil then put in 2 quarts of oil and top it off with kerosene. They would then run the engine for 5 or ten minutes and drain it again before filling it up with fresh oil. Has anyone done this? Jack said that on an old car it was the best way to clean out an engine but I wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks and God Bless

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Flushing old oil?

Post by ModelT46 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:10 pm

Yes, I have done this several times. It seemed to clean out any sludge.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:11 pm

The best way to clean out your engine is to clean it.

I pull the right front lower pan bolt, put a pan under it and start the car. If oil flows out you know your funnel is not clogged...that's the first thing I do on a car which I have no experience with.

Then I pull the lower pan completely and let oil drain and drip for a day or two. Then put on old clothes, arm myself with a bunch of shop rags and wipe down everything inside the engine that I can get to, paying special attention to horizontal surfaces and other contaminant traps. The carbon and sludge you pull out will shock you. After it is clean, your new oil will STAY clean.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Barteldes
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Barteldes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coup

Post by Barteldes » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:11 pm

Ok Scott .. I see you.. my next action on my newly purchased T is to do just that.
BIll B
No matter how you shake and dance the last few drops go down your pants.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:30 pm

There are motor flush products that you pour into the oil and run the car until hot. It this the oil while cleaning the interior of he engine. Drain, then replace the oil. Jim Patrick

This is the one I have used successfully.
788E8ADB-71AF-42FC-825F-0185227F241C.jpeg

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:58 pm

Scotts method is the safest.
You dont want a bunch of loose crud splashing into the oil pickup areas in a T motor & blocking those holes permanently obstructing needed lubrication.
Also a detergent may attack & further rot band lining.
In a modern engine, the crud gets filtered thru the oil pick up screen. The kind of thick crud found in T engines, (Paraffin based oils, etc.) Can even plug up a "modern" oil pick up screen enough to lose that motor.
In my early T apprentice years an old expert said to run only non detergent oil in old, dirty T motors. Detergent oil would suspend the crud & distribute it into oil delivery areas. I followed this advice for several decades. I had not thought of manually cleaning a motor by removing the dip cover. This is where the lions share of crud rests.

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:20 pm

Using two quarts of oil and kerosene is not a bad way to clean a very dirty engines. But, I would refrain from running the engine with minimal lubrication. Instead, remove all four spark plugs and alternate spinning the engine with the hand crank then let set for the length of time it takes to drink one beer, then repeat. It should take four to six beers to sufficiently clean the engine. Doing the procedure longer will not harm the engine, but it may preclude you from getting anything else done.

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:29 pm

After 6 beers, I would have forgotten I owned a T. :lol:

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:28 pm

JohnM has a good way to clean an old engine that has sat a good while whether it’s a T engine or an old tractor. Fill it with a mixture of thin oil , kerosene or diesel, remove the plugs and use the hand crank to turn the engine over several times and let it sit. Do it several times during a day or so. Then drain it and do it again turn a few times the next day.
Drain the engine and let it run and drip out for a while.
Fill it with 10 20 or 30 w oil and start it up. Run that oil for several miles, drain and add new oil. That should do it.

It depends on how gummed up and dirty the engine is of course.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:35 pm

When I repaled the no 1 rod on Henrietta through the bottom plate, I was staggered by the amount of crud captured between the two horse shoes and the sides of the pan. It was largely gritty carbon. There is no way I would try to liberate this by any flushing method with any flushing material. Follow Scott's advice.

Allan from down under.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by George House » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:59 am

Since the OP referenced cleaning oil out of a T engine that’s sat dormant for 40 years, I’d go with Scott’s advice. All my Model Ts have rebuilt fairly low mileage engines so, when I change oil, I run the front wheels up on car ramps.This is a technique I learned from Royce. Then I remove the 15/16” oil drain plug and let it drain for an hour. This supposedly allows for the ‘dips’ to also drain…
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:25 am

The method Scott described not only gets things cleaner than flushing, it's also cheaper. The last time I saw kerosene "on sale" at the local Ace it was over ten bucks a gallon. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:19 pm

You are replying to a bot who does not know that Model T's don't have oil filters.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:49 pm

AI is an idiot.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by George House » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:24 pm

Pat; who represents A.I. or, conversely, who is AL ?
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:44 pm

Artificial Intelligence, so-called.
Memorable quote from AI: "A door is a jar".

Al, I believe, would be Simon, of Simon & Garfunkel.

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:58 pm

I would not use kerosene or other solvent to "flush" an engine. You'd as likely to flush grit and crud into bearings as out of them. Loosening too much crud too quickly can be worse than leaving it alone. Manually removing as much debris as possible, especially from around the oil pan inspection cover, is a good idea. I'd follow that with clean detergent oil like 10W30, or 10W 20 in cool weather.

Reducing the oil's film strength and lubricity with solvents invites embedding grit in the babbit bearings and perhaps into aluminum pistons. If the clean oil gets dirty quickly, change it again. I'd also drive an old, neglected engine at only moderate speeds for the first few hundred miles. Adding a good auxilliary oil might be a good idea, and adding a transmission cover screen is always a good idea. Be sure the transmission bands aren't severely worn or shedding lint due to decay.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:21 pm

I’ll assume that motor flush in a can might not harm a T engine because of the non pressurized oil system but I wouldn’t use it in a modern. Saw the result of this years ago when a friend dumped a can of it into his mustang. Some bit of junk got lose and made the pressure regulator in the oil pump unhappy. Zero pressure. Luckily, since we had no way to pull the engine those old Stang’s had a tubular bolt in cross member which I pulled out and dropped the pan. Lesson learned.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:25 pm

Too, you may want to clean the oil feed tube. I may have bits of fiber and carbon after years of operation.

https://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/4 ... 1415398956

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic