Where's the fire ?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Where's the fire ?

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:32 am

1913 touring adapted for service. It looks funny without a windshield. They could have used a runabout, but hey, the back seat was gonna fall off anyway. :lol:
Attachments
458F0BF7-E868-46F7-923C-6B1414E88AD5.jpeg
Get a horse !

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Where's the fire ?

Post by TWrenn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:54 am

:lol: :lol: Nice pic and funny thought about the back seat! You're probly right Rich!

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:37 pm

I noticed the Chamlers Motor Co logo on the door. Perhaps this shop has just installed the chemical tanks etc. and they sell Chalmers automobiles too. The fellows look more like mechanics than firemen.
Chalmers.jpg
Chalmers.jpg (57.98 KiB) Viewed 719 times
The photo does show the Runabouts details nicely.
When did I do that?

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:44 pm

History of Chalmers Motor Company https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalmers_Automobile
Chalmers Motor Company was an American car company headquartered in Detroit, Michigan. The company started in 1908 and continued producing high-end vehicles until 1923, when it merged with Maxwell forming the basis for the Chrysler Corporation.
Attachments
270px-Chalmers_1909-0430.jpg
270px-Chalmers_1909-0430.jpg (57.71 KiB) Viewed 711 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:34 pm

One of our local group here has a Chalmers that he's restoring. A while ago I did a small vignette for him and although there's probably a little context that will be missing it may be of some interest here:

"More generally, as far as New Zealand and the Chalmers are concerned, they appeared here around 1912 as a 36-H.P. 'self starting' car with a fully floating rear axle and detachable wheels. Self starting was achieved via compressed air, and the cars were available from Wimpenny Bros & Reid (Premier Motor Garage) in Mataura.

By 1913 they became a 40-H.P. car, although there's little evidence it wasn't the same vehicle as a year earlier.

Nothing much is hear of them from thereon until 1917 when they're advertised as a six-cylinder car by J.F.Best of His Majesty's Garage in Manchester St.

By 1920 we have them as a 'famous "Hot-Spot" car, shown by K.E. England of 18 Bedford Row at the Olympia motor show. England goes on to mention the Bosch ignition during 1921 advertising, along with the car holding "no terror for the driver" due to its 'under slung' back axle that "enables it [the car] to take the worst of roads at hight speed with no more bumping than you would get in Cathedral Square". Not sure if this guy is related to Ses England but he may be worth approaching to see if he knows more (if he's still around - there's also a brother who was associated with the ChCh Yacht club at one point).

England is still advertising in 1922, noting that it will do '1000 miles to a gallon of engine oil', he also suggests it will give 'an unusually high Gasoline Tyre & Oil mileage'with 'almost absolute freedom from Repair Bills'.

Later in '22 England advertises the 'New Model' with improvements to the 'famous hot-spot engine' giving 'even greater power with less petrol consumption' and a reduced price of £535.

In 1923 he's 'sacrificing two late models at [£475] in order to make room for the 1928 models arriving'. the later car is 'Almost Vibrationless' and is 'essentially a medical man's car' (whatever that means!).

You'll also be happy to know that 'The Chalmers Car Has Perfect Lubrication < ' Which means that the Chalmers does not develop scored cylinders, worn piston rings or loose bearings or motor knocks until it has been long in use'!

In 1924 England appears to have given up the agency to John Burns & Co, who consider the vehicle is 'Smooth as a Billiard Table', and (for Chris 😄 it is 'the car which will take Dyer's Pass without change in gear'.

Fortunately, in case of trouble, Burns' claim that by 'undoing only two bolts you can take the oil pump right out to get at any blockage, a matter of only a couple of minutes'. Apparently this will save in garage fees, although I'd be a bit worried about the affect of a blocked oil feed on the rest of the motor meaning increased garage fees!

The last new Chalmers I can find (in South Island NZ) is retailed by Haworth & Thomas of 160 Tuam St in 1925. This is a '5-Seater Sports Model' with 5 wire wheels, bumpers back and front, and a luggage carrier rear. It is available at a 'very low price - £425'.

Subsequently there are no new Chalmers, with prices of secondhand units circa £35 by 1930, similar to a Model T. At that time a secondhand Model A such as your sport coupe was ~£100-£140 (and just a year old), and a near new Tudor (just a few months old) was under £200. "

Below are some contemporary (New Zealand) advertisements for the car. Model T owners will be amused to see the comment about "no battery troubles"!

chalmers1.png
chalmers2.png
chalmers2.png (58.7 KiB) Viewed 660 times
chalmers3.png
chalmers4.png
chalmers4.png (89.02 KiB) Viewed 660 times

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:22 pm

I haven't been around many Chalmers cars. I did see this 1913 in 1968 and was able to identify a chassis a friend had by the footman loop on the front fender. They seemed like mighty fine cars.
Rich
Chalmerzz.jpg
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic